“Not Your Typical Dead-Cow-on-a-Plate Place” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hudson's on the Bend is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 3,153 Restaurants in Austin
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Houston, Texas
“Not Your Typical Dead-Cow-on-a-Plate Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

My girlfriend and I come here rather often when we come out to the Lake and it never fails to impress.
It certainly isn't cheap, but you're not going to some overpriced, restaurant-of-the-month fusion place that you'll forget about a week later and will be gone in 6 months. Rather you're getting high quality food that's truly excellent.
There's plenty of great steakhouses to go to, but here you're getting more of a wild game menu that's constantly evolving. I've eaten everything from quail and scallops to Nilgai and Tyrannosaurs Rex (okay, not T-Rex). Their presentation is excellent and their waitstaff know what they're talking about when it comes to both the food and the wine. Oh and their wine selection is rather impressive too.
So all-in-all, skip all the fancy places in downtown and head on out west to Hudson's on the Bend for something that you won't soon forget. But don't forget to make a reservation.

• Visited August 2014

Austin, Texas
“Carnivore's Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Before my son became vegan, we counted 12 animals that have their lives for our last meal there-and it was an amazing celebration of food down to the rattlesnake cakes. More recently, my husband & I celebrated an anniversary with dinner at this, his favorite restaurant It was hard to contain my rapture with the presentations of the food and the deliciousness of every bite. I'm afraid my husband thought I would soon sound like Meg Ryan in that diner and others would be saying "I'll have what she is having". The cozy rooms, attentive staff and laid back atmosphere ( no one scolded me when I suddenly realized the knob I was playing with was affecting the lights in the next room) makes for an Austin experience of unique fine dining. Be bold, ask for something you have never tried and you will be rewarded -down the rattlesnakes and venison. But leave room for dessert and enjoy a drink at their bar in preparation of the feast you won't forget

• Visited February 2014
Tampa, Florida
“Amazing Dinner Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

An amazing dining experience with very friendly staff. The dishes were amazing and well portioned. The elk and duck were perfectly prepared; tender, very flavorful and the sauces complimented each dish to enhance the natural flavors of each. The extensive wine list was great with a variety of price points to fit most budgets.

• Visited August 2014
Bonner Springs
“Worth the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

When they say hill country cuisine, I was not sure what to expect. It essentially means that they use local game in a large portion of their dishes. The entrees were creative and very good. They update their menu quite often so it is worth checking it out several times a year for the seasonal changes. The deserts were very good as well. The dark chocolate dipped pecan pie and Japanese cherry carrot cake were really outstanding.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“I have now dined there twice since 2005...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

...and this place has not changed; I am "definitely" not a fan of their entrees. The atmosphere is lovely but the dress code (for Austin) needs to be "stepped up" for such an expensive restaurant! The wine expert did not give me a choice that even closely resembled what I would like in a white; their barbeque sauce is still terrible; and the choices of game I obviously do not like. It was on a date, thankfully I didn't have to pay! However, the best part was their dessert; I had the creme brullee which I enjoyed, yet all-in-all, overall it just was still not worth the high prices.

• Visited May 2014