“Always delivers outstanding Asian and Sushi cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,360 of 3,123 restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Japanese
Austin, Texas
“Always delivers outstanding Asian and Sushi cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Located in the exclusive area of West Lake Hills, at the Davenport Village Center, you will find this jewel of chines and Asian Cuisine, outstanding sushi and a very elegant environment.
Although other restaurants in Austin boast that they are the kings of sushi, Dragon Gate stands tall, when you compare it to them. The only difference is that the environment is relaxed, the servers are down to earth people, helping out with the family business.

I usually go for their sushi selection, but from time to time, I will ask for the Hibachi plate, which seems to be sharp and spot on every time.

This is the place to go for a business lunch if you are in West Lake Hills, and if you are also thinking on taking a date, this is also the place. This is a bit upscale, which makes sense in one of the top zip codes in the USA, but then again, prices are very reasonable, and you won't break the bank, like in other Sushi places in town that are just a place to go be seen.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Austin, Texas
“A hit or miss in my opinion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We've been here sometimes and think it is wonderful, wondering why we don't visit more often. then we go again and have the opposite experience with both the food and service. Maybe we'll try it again in a year or so. For Chinese food, there are better options. Can't speak for the sushi.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Guadalajara, Mexico
“First place we stop when in Austin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

These folks have excellent Chinese food, something I miss in Mexico. My cellphone has the restaurant number programmed as a speed dial number...so that I can call 20 minutes ahead of getting there to order dumplings...very good dumplings. They also have Japanese, but Guadalajara has lots of Japanese options. Try the Honey Walnut Shrimp.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Austin
“Great Competitor for Quality Sushi!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

I've been to many sushi resturaunts around town including; Uchi, Sushi Saki, Kanobi, (A place on 6th St. to the right from IH35), a few places up and down Guadalupe, and some I have forgotten.... Dragon Gate is by far the best quality for price you can get. I choose Dragon Gate over Uchi any day because of the quality of food in comparison to cost. I always leave full and never unsatisfied with the service and taste.

My gf and I usually get two entrees and 3 to 4 rolls.. filling us up for about $50-$60 and having take home. The General Tsaos is the best I've eaten (crispy and good).

If you like great sushi and a quiet atmosphere.. its the place to go.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“horrid.. how those rich...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

horrid.. how those rich people can stand it o will never know