“Great location and ambiance.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carmelo's Restaurant

Carmelo's Restaurant
504 E 5th St, Austin, TX 78701 (Downtown)
512-477-7497
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmelo's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #298 of 3,124 restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Red River
Transit: Armadillo Trolley.
Austin, Texas
“Great location and ambiance.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great location and ambiance. Very traditional italian service and food. Great taste. Make reservations. Near Hilton and Convention Center.

73% Recommend
Boulder, Colorado
“Fun atmosphere, love the live music!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I had a great meal at the restaurant, and the historic building certainly adds ambiance. It was very crowded because of 2 conference groups in town, so we did have to wait awhile for our food, but our large group had a relaxed meal and enjoyed the strolling accordion player. If you are going there on a Friday or weekend night, be sure to make reservations early and I'd recommend having an early dinner before the crowd descends.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
HOUSTON, TEXAS
“One of the best traditional Italian fine dining spots in Austin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

One of the best traditional Italian fine dining spots in Austin. They offer a decent selection of Italian favorites along with professional service in a subdued environment. Parking in their private lot a real plus at this downtown location. Very good wine selection, especially their Italian reds. We found their live accordion music an interesting and different backdrop for our evening. Prices are in line with the quality offered.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Huntsville, Texas
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My entree (ossobuco $32) was huge and delicious, but the salad (small torre $6) was overdressed, and the tiramisu was small, soggy, and almost tasteless. My colleague had fried oysters that were terribly overcooked. Overall, not the worth hype or price.

Visited February 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Likely the best Northern Italian in Austin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is the closest we have found to our favorite Italian restaurants in places like NY or Boston.
The staff is simply wonderfully friendly and accommodating. I asked the waiter about preparation options that were not on the menu for a couple of entree items. He didn't even hesitate and told me if we could imagine something...they would find a way to make it for us.
The place is larger on the inside than it looks and beautifully decorated. The food was excellent! I had a boneless veal chop which was served with the best Marsala wine sauce I ever tasted...rich, flavorful, while not over-powering the veal which was lean and cooked to perfection. The entree was accompanied by large variety of fresh vegetables which were also cooked to perfection. My wife ordered Halibut. This resulted in a funny situation. When they served her dish, after one bite she told me it was not Halibut. I asked if she wanted to ask them to replace it and she said no because it tasted fine...whatever variety of fish it was. When I finally got the bill..sure enough we were charged for Sea Bass...and the best part was it was $10 less:-)

The only criticism I would think worth mentioning was the ciabatta bread they were so proud of mentioning on their website, while served warm and with a wonderful olive oil based dipping sauce, was a day past it's best fresh date. I could have asked for them to replace it but by the time I realized it the bread had magically disappeared:-)

This is well worth a visit if you crave a really well prepared Northern Italian meal in Austin.

• Visited January 2013