“Delicious, Fresh Texas Dishes” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Café
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
seattle
“Delicious, Fresh Texas Dishes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My colleague and I went here for brunch, while on business travel to Austin. I had the soup special: a tomato, crab, pepper combination along with the seafood parfait (shrimp, scallops, cilantro, avacado, and more). The food tasted fresh and the combinations of flavors were original and enjoyable. The service was impeccable as well. Both our server and the restaurant manager, who stopped by our table, were friendly and had good energy. Our food came quickly and correctly with the modification I made to the seafood parfait (substituted made-from-scratch corn tortillas for the tortilla strips served with the seafood parfait).

The atmosphere is somewhat loud, but my coworker and I did not mind.

I recommend making reservations since the place seems quite busy.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Austin, Texas
“Excellent Food, Nice Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

South Congress Cafe really does have excellent food, beautiful display and a groovy feel to it. The sauces are delicious. I have never had anything that I didn't like here. The wait staff is really great about helping with wine pairings also.

Visited October 2012
Austin
“Warning: Don't bring a large group at lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The food, decor, service and service are all good. It's bright and airy. Very tasty, unique, modern food.

The problem I had was that I brought five of my staff there for a special occasion lunch. I called hours beforehand to either get a reservation or put us on a wait-list for 6 people. When I got there I was told that because it was lunch time they have a policy of not pushing together tables so I could either wait a long time until one of their very few large booths opened up or they could split us up, neither of which is an acceptable option. We ended up squeezing into a booth made for four with two folks squeezed into the chairs perched at the end of the booth. It was very uncomfortable. This was just sheer incompetence on the part of the part of the person answering the phone, and arrogant inflexibility on the part of the host and manager who refused to push the chairs together.

I do not recommend this place for groups larger than four at lunch time.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phuket, Thailand
“Fancy, but chilled!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

What a nice place this was!!! Felt so fancy to sit there, but everything was so chilled. Service was great, wine was nice, and the food was absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Visited December 2012
Castro Valley, California
“amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This place was amazing...from start to finish. The menu had many choices all sounded so good..it was hard to decide. Had the spinach with goat cheese salad. delicious, very fresh ingredients.
We had to try the home made flour tortillas, tasted as good as my dads and a great value. The staff was very friendly and attentive.

• Visited December 2012