“typically Spanish” 4 of 5 stars

(512) 473-2211
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Barlata is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #214 of 3,124 restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Tapas
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
College Station, Texas
“typically Spanish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband is from Valladolid,Spain, the home of the best tapas bars, so we know good tapas. Barlata comes no where near a top-notch Spanish tapas bar, however it is very good for an American Spanish restaurant. The wine choices are nice and not over-priced. The food menu is classical and moderately priced. We ordered the chorizo plate, brandada plate, clams (which we sent back -not cleansed properly) and the pinchos morunos - all of which were very tasty (except for the clams). I would recommend this restaurant to friends.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“LOVE at first bite….and every bite after!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My husband and I visit Austin a couple of times a year. I lived here in the late 70's early 80's and back then there was not much of a restaurant scene. Wind forward 30 or so years and my how things have changed! I think the restaurants in Austin can hold their own against those in any other of the big foodie cities and I include San Francisco, Paris, New York and London. We have our tried and true favourites here but always make a point to visit a couple of the new places which are always popping up. Went to Barlata on the recommendation of local friends who had been once before and were very keen to return. We arrived for the last 20 minutes of happy hour and decided to take advantage and ate at the counter. For happy hour they offer several drink specials and a short list of tapas at around $5 a piece. A real bargain. We ordered a few things from the specials and further dishes off the regular menu. EVERYTHING we tried was mind blowing! This is Spanish cooking using traditional ingredients, but with a distinct twist. It was one of the best meals I have had this year, so good in fact, that we decided to return the next night for our last dinner in Austin.
I don't think my writing is good enough to do the food justice, so I will just say do yourself a favour and book a table while you still can. They have only been in business for 5 months and already early on a Monday evening the place filled up!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mountain View, California
“yum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I went here with colleagues and had a great time. The waiter recommended many items on the menu and was honest about the items he didn't like as much...I thought that was refreshing.

We enjoyed so many things off the menu I can't remember all of them, the cheese plate was a stand out,. the olives...we enjoyed the civeche. My colleagues shared dessert, but alas I was too full.

It was pretty noisy so I would say go with friends and skip this place for a romantic evening, unless you are naturally a loud couple.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Need to work out the kinks”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We made reservations for a group of 12 and were informed that we must order from a "set menu" which is listed on the website. Imagine a Tapas restaurant that forces larger parties to a "set menu".

We arrived on time were seated and after about 30 minutes got our drink order. The first course of the set menu arrived an hour after we were seated and consisted of a salad, shrimp, and eggplant. The eggplant and shrimp were tasty but cold. The second part of the first course arrived about 15 minutes later and consisted of clams, roasted veggies and skewered lamb. All were tasty but again the lamb was cold. None of the 6 Tapas we were served were what we considered- delicious.

After another 1/2 hour the main courses began to arrive. Now from the three items available on the set menu- 7 of us ordered the steak, 4 the tuna and 1 had the paella. The steaks and paella came first and several of us commented that our steaks were "cold and chewy". Now here is the best part, the 8 of us who were served steak and paella were finished before the 4 tunas arrived. The tunas were hot and "delicious" according to the 4 late diners.

At the end of each night out we always hold a thumbs up/down on the restaurant and this is the first to ever receive more than 3 thumbs down. They got 11 with only my wife voting thumbs up and her comment was, "I come for the company, not the food".

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Texas
“Food - excellent; Service - excellent; Noise level - ouch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We went as a group of five (3 thirty-something Austin-ites and 2 visiting parents). We had a reservation and were shown right to our table. The service was excellent with our waiter making suggestions that were spot on for our group and 1) things we might not have tried, and 2) not the most expensive things on the menu. He also suggested the sangria in a carafe, not by the glass ($24 and we went through 2. We really loved the pescadito fritos (a little log cabin of little fried fish, $9.00) and the mushrooms ($9.00). We had two servings each of these. The roasted beets salad ($8.00) was great, but according to the Austin-ites, a very common dish around there. Actually all the 10 things we had were good, but what didn't fit our meal was the braised oxtail. I would have liked it by itself. So what was the problem? The sound. The place is very modern in decor and everything was hard (ceilings, walls, chairs, booths, bar area). The place was full the night we were there and it was LOUD. . . like dance club LOUD. I really hope the owners put some baffles on the ceiling and add some padding to the walls and chairs. Style is one thing, but hurting ears and yelling to your dinner companions doesn't make for a great dining experience. And if you think it was a problem of the older folks in the group, we all went outside to talk about what we were doing the next day - note we had to go outside for this discussion. One of the thirty-somethings needed to go back to use the restroom and grimacing said, " Back into the din." Fix the sound and I'll be willing to drop another $200 there. The food was that good.

• Visited September 2013