“Not Impressed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chuy's

Chuy's
11680 Research Blvd, Austin, TX 78759 (Northwest Austin)
(512) 342-0011
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Northwest Austin
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I recently moved to Austin from Fort Worth. We are very excited to try out all the amazing restaurants in this huge city. We have been told that we will find some of the best food here. We are huge fajita fans! Every Mexican food place we go to I order their chicken fajitas. I even posted on Facebook for suggestions to find the best in town. Many people suggested Chuy's. So this Sunday we decided to try it out. Well, I am not that impressed. The chicken was dry and unflavored and the tortillas were cold and hard (even the second batch was not good.) The queso was yummy and worth me returning for just drinks and queso. My husband ordered their specialty burrito and was not impressed. Nothing stood out at this place and we are still in search of good Mexican food and especially perfect fajitas.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Austin, Texas
“It is ok, but it is an Austin Favorite.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

As a local, I can say I enjoy visiting, yes visiting the place. It is neat, 3 locations in Austin, not bad for tex mex

Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
“Consistently good Tex Mex”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The food at Chuy's is always good - I have never been there and been disappointed. Their salsa is great, margaritas are excellent, and you can't go wrong with anything you order for your main entree, from enchiladas to tacos to rellenos...it's all good! There's usually a wait on weekends, and it's a loud place - but if you are ok with that it is worth it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas, USA
“Chuy's Is Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is not your typical Tex-Mex. The decor is Austin outrageous. There is a shrine to Elvis in every location. The bar is covered with photos of dogs. There are hubcaps on the ceiling & crazy paintings everywhere. Start with one of their house margaritas, one of the best around in my opinion. Happy hour they are a $1.00 off. There is a chip & salsa bar set up in the bar with chips, salsa, queso, pico & ground beef. The food is a blend of Tex-Mex & New Mexico style. Lots of Hatch green chilis. They even have a Hatch Chili festival. T-Shirts for sale have crazy saying & plays on popular movies or current events. Service is always good. Can't go wrong with Chuy's.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Keller TX
“Tex-Mex doesn't get any better than CHUY'S - Austin!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The original Chuy's on Barton Creek is absolutely the best Tex-Mex you'll find in the state of Texas! We NEVER pass through Austin without stopping at Chuy's! Of course the funky atmosphere and cheery wait and service staff helps a great deal in wanting to keep coming back..even if the food wasn't great. The food is Fabulous and their own 'take' on familiar dishes makes it well worth the visit! Our visit was on Sunday and one of the specials of the day was a Carne Guisada Burrito...A M A Z I N G..doesn't quite do it justice!! First..it was served on a platter and there was barely any room for the rice!!Delicous, spicy, chunks of beef in the rich gravy so characteristic of Guisada oozed out of the largest flour tortilla I've ever seen!! We had Queso with our 'endless' chips (which are made on site and scrumptious!) and managed to leave enough room for a Tres Leche cake for dessert!! YUM YUM!! You may have to wait because it's an Austin landmark, but the wait's well worth it,...and they have great 'Ritas in the bar!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Chuy's? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Chuy's, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.