“Family dining that makes your taste buds happy” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Delivery
Austin, Texas
“Family dining that makes your taste buds happy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have been eating at Hao Hao for many years. This is the Hao Hao on William Cannon Drive. There is another in Dobie mall, but I haven't eaten there. I hear it is good, but farther away. Why go any farther than this Hao Hao?

The atmosphere is causal. Not the place to impress a date, unless the date likes good Vietnamese and Chinese food.

To be honest, I don't know traditional Asian food from modern or Americanized, but I do know what I like. I also know that in the many years of eating at Hao Hao I have never been served a meal I didn't like.

The dishes are flavorful and varied, price is moderate. For a smaller sized restaurant, they have a very large menu selection. They specialize in Vietnamese and Chinese, but the Pad Thai is very good as well. More on the menu in a minute.

The owners are Kevin and Lynn. Both are amazing in that they remember almost everyone who has ever eaten with them. Lynn not only remembers you, but what you like and don't like. As I said above, they have a large menu of Vietnamese and Chinese dishes and if you don't know what to order, ask Lynn, she will suggest something perfect for you. I've also seen Lynn and Kevin prepare items off the menu for customers who did not find a menu item that hit the spot or had dietary concerns. I really don't know if the food is MSG free or gluten free, I've never asked. If this is important to you, just ask.

I am always amazed at the number of people that eat at Hao Hao that are treated like family. They are greeted coming through the door, Lynn and or Kevin will come by the table to talk, find out about the rest of your family or just say hello.

Last time I counted there were fourteen Asian restaurants in the surrounding area. Many closer than Hao Hao, but none that have the menu, staff and expected consistently good food as Hao Hao. They do serve wine and beer. Nice selection of beer, don't ask me about wine.

Best dishes? - wow, almost anything

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Hit or miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I've only been to Hao Hao's a few times in the past 2 years. I only order the vermicelli, a few times it's been very flaovrful and tasty, however the last time it was pretty foul. I called in the order about 30 min from the close time, my seafood vermicelli was hardly eatable. The squid smelt so bad I'm shocked they even added it to the plate. The scallops were chewy and overcooked and the noodles were dry. I guess it's my fault for ordering so late but I probably will not return just for that trip alone...it still makes me sick thinking about it.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Been to Hao-Hao? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Hao-Hao, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.