“Let them feed you” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Uchi

Uchi
801 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704-1509 (South Austin)
(512) 916-4808
Cross street: Barton Springs
Dallas
“Let them feed you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Had a group of 11 people. Told the waiter to just brings a continual stream of food. Amazing and seamless service. A must go.

Visited November 2012

92% Recommend
  • Polish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“NOT a full service restaurant, no bar, no drinks, no fun.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Having travelled the world, one of my biggest pet peves is a really nice restaurant like Uchi that does not have a liqour lisence. Rather, they can serve only beer and wine such as a convenience store like 7-11.
When I go out and intend on spending a lot of money on a nice dinner, I fully expect to be able to get a well aged, single malt scotch or a mid dinner drink to clean my palet or maybe even an after dinner cocktail-none of those common dining ideas will happen here becuase they don't have a liqour lisence. Hillbilly's (and me) drink beer when they go eat bar-b-que.
Outside of that, Uchi serves a nice array of sushi but nothing exceptional.
When they are ready to step up to the plate, buy a liqour lisence and serve more than beer, I will be back. Outside of that, this place is nothing more than a waste of my time.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Must visit if in the Austin area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Food was amazing and service was great. I have been to many sushi restaurants, but none as good as Uchi. The waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu and made several good suggestions. We especially liked how the food came out continuously instead of waiting for everything all at once. A definite must if in the Austin area. It gets crowded fast so get there early.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cleveland, Ohio
“Absolutely incredible.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

LOVED just about everything about this great restaurant!
Not your usual sushi place. Innovative and different, it was a meal we won't soon forget.
If you get there before 6:30 you can order from the happy hour menu and get some amazing deals. I mean saki for $3!?
And I can't even describe what I ate. I only know each dish was better than the last.
The wait staff is wonderful about making suggestions and describing the food. They are very attentive. (I think there were 4 or 5 different people serving and attending to us throughout the meal.)
Plan to order many small plates and try new flavors. They encourage you to order a few items and then order more later as you go, depending on how hungry you are. I love grazing this way.
Even the 2 sushi-phobic folks we brought along, found dishes on the menu that they loved.
(The menu has a little symbol by each item showing if it is raw or not.) They had the dewberry hills farm chicken and the pork belly rolls and were very happy.

There was only one thing we ordered (at the suggestion of our waiter) that we did not like.
A sort of fried rice in a pot. Very salty and mushy. We'll just skip that one next time.

For my birthday dessert they brought out the sweet corn sorbet polenta custard with caramel salt and lemon - we wanted to lick the bowl. AMAZING.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
The Southwest
“Wonderful Japanese Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were a group of 5 and 4-5 people is the perfect number of people to visit this restaurant. We each ordered 2-3 things from the extensive menu and shared. Everything we had was fantastic. Our server was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The place has a great vibe and makes for a nice evening out.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Uchi? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Uchi, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.