“Work Hard to Sway You to Come Back” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Austin, Texas
“Work Hard to Sway You to Come Back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Five of us went on a busy evening. The shared table dining experience is atmospheric and the ambient noise level is loud, not a quiet romantic evening unless the two of you are placed on a corner and you put your menus up around you for some peace and quiet. That said, the decor is fabulous. The food was interesting but over salted. Less salt would have allowed the spice and variety to shine more, it was over enhanced. The deserts were an excellent blend of flavors and textures.

Visited December 2013

Austin, Texas, USA
“Great Food and Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great food and really something unique for Austin. The cuisine is mainly Thai. Very reasonably priced as well. This is a very vibrant place with shared tables which was fine with me. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable about the entrees and wine. All in all, great food and nice experience.

Visited December 2013
Austin, Texas
“Some good dishes, lots of sweet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Not entirely convinced of the concept of sharing dishes under staff orders, but Sway is a nice place, good staff and some good dishes that are well executed.

For me the chicken soup and green curry were way too sweet. The salt and pepper shrimp and tofu were very good, the shrimp especially so. Chicken wings were not to our taste 'burned' on the outside and only just cooked inside. Daughter loved the pear dish. Chinese broccoli very stalky, not easy to chew.

We'll come back to try more dishes.
Shared

Austin, Texas
“Incredibly noisy but delicious food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

For my birthday my lady friends treated me to dinner at Sway. We went on a bitterly cold weeknight around 7:30pm so we expected the place to be slow but nope it was incredibly busy. And noisy! Oh my word it was noisy. Like can't hear yourself or the server noisy.

There is no sign- just a red neon lotus logo. The parking lot is for "free" valet. Most of the streets in the area require a parking permit so you might have a hard time finding a place to park on the street. I am fine with tipping a valet so this wasn't an issue for me.

The seating options are around a giant wooden table with bench seats or along a high counter. My friend has a daughter in a wheelchair so we're not sure where she would sit if she had come with us. The bench seats mean (like a booth) if you need to use the restroom your neighbors have to get up too. We were seated on a corner of one of the giant tables which was better than in a long row but still it was too loud to have a conversation.

We ordered 3 dishes for 4 people and had plenty to eat. The server told us the food would arrive individually when ready and not as a group. Which was fine expect when the Pad Thai Jay didn't arrive- we eventually asked the server where it was and he said it was on its way. Which it clearly wasn't because we didn't get the dish for another 20 or so minutes. This is a good hour after our first dishes arrived.

We ordered the charcoal rotisserie chicken, the veggie fried rice and the veggie Pad Thai Jay. The chicken was incredible- crispy and sweet and slightly spicy. The fried rice was ok- my friends didn't like it at all- it was an odd mixture of veggies (like butternut & egg plant) and slightly gooey. When the Pad Thai Jay finally arrived it was just how I like it- with tangy noodles! Delicious.

I am really glad I went. The food was delicious and it was fun to see in person. But I probably won't return. There are too many other great places in Austin to eat and not being able to hold a conversation was a huge negative for us. I might give it a shot for a late lunch when it's not so busy.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Laguna Niguel, California
“Siam surprise in Austin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The wife and I love thai food. This restaurant is a gem, we had 2 dishes we shared, we ordered the peanut curry and the nashi pear chicken. Very tasty, unusual flavors, compliments to the chef!
Seating is a bit unusual, you will share a large square table with other people, somewhat similar to a tepan style Japanese restaurant without the show. No problem, we actually had a great conversation with a couple visiting form Dallas.

• Visited December 2013