Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol
Ranked #1 of 185 Hotels in Austin
Pasadena, CA
“average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Close to the UT campus and to the Capitol. Lobby area is pretty, but very bare. Parking is overpriced. The room was clean, but with spare furnishings. Breakfast is pretty much like any other Hampton Inn, which is to say better than most other hotel breakfasts. Staff were efficient enough. Pool deck is very small and not much of a view except the Capitol dome.

Room Tip: 7th floor room on West side was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear hempdm,

Thank you for your response on tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback and was disapointed that you had and "average" stay. I was a bit confused on some of your remarks. Our parking prices are set right in the middle of our downtown competitors. I am sorry that you felt our pricing for parking was high. I feel we have a truly unique Austin decor that makes us anything but average in regards to our decor and art pieces around the hotel. I was disapointed that our staff was just "efficient enough". Clearly we didn't make an impression on you and I was disapointed about that. Our hotel has one of the only 5th floor "rooftop" pools in Austin, and the skyline of the Capitol generally gets rave reviews. I was disapointed that our pool views were avarage as well. Good luck with your future stays in Austin.

regards,

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I am currently staying at this property for 6 nights, but I'm so impressed I had to write the review now. The property is a beautiful, more of an upscale Hampton. I'm on the 8th floor (top floor) in a corner room with a wraparound balcony. There are windows on both sides of the room and beautiful light. It's ideal for business travelers. There is a desk with wheels so you can move your work space wherever you wish in the room. Power outlets on each night stand, which is always a must for me. The sheets are the softest I've ever felt. Kind of a brushed sueded feel (I've got to find some to use at home). There is also a ceiling fan in the room which is rare in hotels. I like to sleep cool so it's perfect. Free wifi throughout the hotel and a great lobby/common area to hang out. I love the entry doors. You just hold your key to the pad with no fumbling around or swiping.

Two cons (small cons):
1) The air con unit is loud. Other reviewers have mentioned this and yes, it's true. It does not sound like an "airplane" as one reviewer described, but it does create quite a "hum". When it cycles off you do notice a quietness in the room. However, it didn't affect my sleep and would not prevent me from returning to this hotel.
2) There is no furniture on the balcony. It would be nice to have a chair and table to sit out in the evening. Shame to have a great wrap around balcony and only be able to stand.

I am an explorer so I went for a walk about a mile radius of the hotel. Nice area. I do however have one suggestion for management. There is a list of nearby restaurants in each room, but it's seems outdated. I found several other options while walking that are not listed in the room. I've listed them below:

Cherry Street
(great little cozy Italian place within a block walking distance)

Dog and Duck Pub
(within 1 1/2 blocks walking distance)

Arturo's Cafe
(Within 2 blocks walking distance. Open 7:00--2:00 so not an option for dinner, but good lunch spot)

Thundercloud Subs
(sandwich place within one block. Closes at 6pm)

Starbucks
(3 blocks walking distance on 15th)

There is a Whole Foods downtown that delivers...for FREE! They will deliver anything they sell except alcohol. It's a nice food delivery option if you don't want to go out or have the typical pizza delivery.

There is also a liquor store within a block walking distance (just down from Cherry street restaurant). I got a bottle of wine to bring back to my room.

I would definitely recommend this location if you don't need to be in the "heart" of downtown, but still in close proximity, great night's sleep, good service, value and amenities.

Room Tip: I recommend the corner King with balcony. Beautify view and lots of light (with blackout curtains a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear withni7,

Thank you for the review on trip advisor, you are very detailed and I appreciate the accuracy of your observations. I was glad to see that you appreciated the room and its amenities. I was happy to see you enjoyed our custom sheets and ceiling fans. We appreciate the feedback and are working with the AC units to see if there is something we can do about the light humming noise. In regards to the balcony, we would love to add furniture to the wrap around balcony's. However, we are concerned that furniture would enable children access to go over the balcony. We are 9 months old and it is amazing how some of the restaurants have changed or moved. We are in the process of putting together a new restaurant list and will take your recommendations into consideration. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Austin is a cool town, and Hampton @University/Capitol blends in very well. Check in was fast and efficient, the room with balcony we got was spatious and clean, the bed was soft (maybe a bit too soft) and had very soft sheets, and the breakfast was not too bad as well (better than most other complimentary breakfasts we had), served in a kind of lobby decorated with grafitti. Cool! The location is very good: on walking distance to the Capitol (a must see in Austin, take a free tour!), and about a 30 minutes walk to the Congress Avenue Bridge (another must see on the evenings the bats fly out). 6th and 4th street are located there as well, with plenty of places to eat, listen to live music and to party.

As you will see, you have to pay for parking almost anywhere in Downtown Austin. Hampton also offers parking in their garage, which cost you $19 per day, which is an average rate compared to other parking garages in the neighborhood.

The pool located on the 5th floor is small, but you have a nice view there (Capitol), and plenty of cosy seats.

Recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EmenemNL,

Thank you for your response on tripadvisor. Thank you for noticing that our parking is the average for downtown Austin. I was happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit. I appreciate you detailing out your stay for others to read.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a very nice, quiet, and clean hotel near many Austin attractions. Just walking distance from Texas State Capitol and University of Texas. Not so far from 6th st, but far enough to avoid its noise. The building was an apartment complex in its early days and nowadays is a Hotel. Therefore, it was not designed with enough parking spots for its current function. You might find yourself waiting 20-30 minutes for someone else to leave an let an empty spot.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear AFCA_82, I'm glad you were enjoyed our ideal location and our "quiet and clean hotel." I apologize for any inconvenience our parking garage may have caused you. We do our best to accommodate all guests’ vehicle but we understand our parking garage may get full at busier times. We are actively seeking additional parking options to better accommodate our guests. Let me know if I can assist you in any future reservations. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I'm in Austin a lot for business travel. I recently stayed at the new Hampton by the capitol. Since my business is often at the capitol I appreciate the convenience this location offers. It's also close to campus, which is nice for weekend football games.

They upgraded me to a suite. The room was beautiful with a view of the capitol, the hills and the swimming pool. It had a great wrap around balcony. It was fabulous. The air conditioner was a little loud as it went through its cycle, but that's ok. For the price point and free breakfast it was an excellent value. I will definitely be staying here often. I do wish Hampton Inn would upgrade their breakfast just a bit and offer dairy-free milk options and a higher quality oatmeal. But that's on the brand not the individual hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear mindyltl, Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor; we appreciate all feedback. It's good to hear our location is convenient for your business travel and leisure travel here in Austin. I'm thrilled you enjoyed your room, the view, and the balcony. I will look into expanding some of our milk options for the future to better accommodate our guests. It's great to hear you will be staying with us again and we look forward to your next visit with us!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We recently stayed at this Hampton on a trip to Austin to visit friends and attend a concert. This is a top of the line Hampton Inn. The location is perfect for the Capitol and the University. The hotel is brand new. It is a bit pricey but them most hotels in this area are a similar price. I would highly recommend it but I would give a couple of hints: The standard rooms are a bit small and I would feel not worth the price, spend a couple of bucks extra and upgrade. Also, in floors 2 through 4, there are some rooms which are interior, meaning there are no outside windows. Better to ask for an outside room. Great breakfast. Free tea and coffee 24 hours a day in the lobby. Beautiful décor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Onthebeachgene, Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate you calling us a "top of the line Hampton Inn" as we believe we are too. Our rooms feature 11 ft. ceilings to make the rooms feel as spacious as possible. I'm glad you loved out decor here in the hotel as we use artwork that reflects Austin's culture and motto of Keep Austin Weird. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Dallas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

we stayed at this hotel to be central to lots of different things in Austin. It was quite easy to get to and from and we were lucky to never experience much of the Austin traffic since we were generally traveling outside of those busy times. The hotel is within walking distance of a lot of things and is really a nice hotel. It seems like it is brand new. The breakfast was great, the kids enjoyed it. Parking was kind of pricey, but that's everywhere in Austin.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Stephanie Marti...S, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are a newer property having opened in October of 2012. I’m pleased you were happy with our complimentary breakfast and that your kids were able to enjoy it as well. Our parking prices reflect that of the Austin market. We hope to see you soon!

GM

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol? Share your experiences!