I am currently staying at this property for 6 nights, but I'm so impressed I had to write the review now. The property is a beautiful, more of an upscale Hampton. I'm on the 8th floor (top floor) in a corner room with a wraparound balcony. There are windows on both sides of the room and beautiful light. It's ideal for business travelers. There is a desk with wheels so you can move your work space wherever you wish in the room. Power outlets on each night stand, which is always a must for me. The sheets are the softest I've ever felt. Kind of a brushed sueded feel (I've got to find some to use at home). There is also a ceiling fan in the room which is rare in hotels. I like to sleep cool so it's perfect. Free wifi throughout the hotel and a great lobby/common area to hang out. I love the entry doors. You just hold your key to the pad with no fumbling around or swiping.
Two cons (small cons):
1) The air con unit is loud. Other reviewers have mentioned this and yes, it's true. It does not sound like an "airplane" as one reviewer described, but it does create quite a "hum". When it cycles off you do notice a quietness in the room. However, it didn't affect my sleep and would not prevent me from returning to this hotel.
2) There is no furniture on the balcony. It would be nice to have a chair and table to sit out in the evening. Shame to have a great wrap around balcony and only be able to stand.
I am an explorer so I went for a walk about a mile radius of the hotel. Nice area. I do however have one suggestion for management. There is a list of nearby restaurants in each room, but it's seems outdated. I found several other options while walking that are not listed in the room. I've listed them below:
(great little cozy Italian place within a block walking distance)
Dog and Duck Pub
(within 1 1/2 blocks walking distance)
(Within 2 blocks walking distance. Open 7:00--2:00 so not an option for dinner, but good lunch spot)
(sandwich place within one block. Closes at 6pm)
(3 blocks walking distance on 15th)
There is a Whole Foods downtown that delivers...for FREE! They will deliver anything they sell except alcohol. It's a nice food delivery option if you don't want to go out or have the typical pizza delivery.
There is also a liquor store within a block walking distance (just down from Cherry street restaurant). I got a bottle of wine to bring back to my room.
I would definitely recommend this location if you don't need to be in the "heart" of downtown, but still in close proximity, great night's sleep, good service, value and amenities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the Austin theme when you stay with the Hampton Inn Austin hotel. Just four blocks away from the Texas State Capitol and just steps away from the University of Texas, our hotel is the prime location for your Austin, TX visit. Enjoy free breakfast and complimentary WiFi as well as a unique Austin accommodation style, complete with graffiti and a rooftop swimming pool! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.