“A Four-star hotel at a Two-star price....worth the money.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1701 Lavaca Street, Austin, TX 78701   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #1 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Baltimore, Maryland
“A Four-star hotel at a Two-star price....worth the money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've stayed at plenty of Hampton Inns during my travels. I was hesitant about staying in this Hampton Inn because it was a refurbished hotel that use to go by a different name (and it was not that nice) and I didn't know anyone who had stayed here previously.

I don't usually stay in hotels near large university because they're usually geared for college students and don't usually offer very much in terms of amenities.

I was with a group of nine business travelers and we decided to give this hotel a try because it had been opened only six weeks. Boy, were we surprised, the location was great. It was less than 1/4 mile from the University of Texas with great places to eat nearby.

The staff was great upon check-in and very professional, they were actual adults, not your typical college student working a side job to help with expenses. The staff were great throughout our stay.

The hotel looked brand new and the rooms very very nice and pleasant.

This was probably the most modern Hampton Inn that I've seen. The rooms were very comfortable and very clean.
The air condition units are a little tricky to use.

The breakfast was excellent and FREE with a nice variety of items to pick from. Even our vegetarian travelers were happy.

The only two drawbacks about this hotel was the parking ($19 per day) fees and no free WiFi in this day and age that is hard to believe, especially for a new hotel.

The rate was like $130 a day, but when you add the parking fees, you're almost paying Embassy Suite prices, but overall it was a great deal. If you stay here, you'll not regret it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sean F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear MarlandVacation,

Thank you for giving us your feedback on tripadvisor. Thank you for the kind words in regards to our hotel staff and cleanliness and overall description of our hotel. I agree and appreciate you noticing our staff at the desk and in housekeeping. Our team takes pride in their work and it is nice to hear you noticed. Thank you for the feedback on the air conditioning units. We are working on putting some instructions in the rooms to help assist.

A couple of things in your comments that I wanted to address. First, we do have complimentary WIFI for all of our guests. Parking is $19.00 and is competitive for the downtown / university area.

We feel we have a great location as well and look forward to your next visit to Austin.

Sean Fitzgerald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Galveston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 days. The room was very clean, service excellent, and location top-notch. My extra twin bed was promptly delivered to my room at no extra charge. I didn't mind the parking fee because I got free wi-fi and breakfast. Just what the other reviewer said, ceilings are high which made the room bigger and spacious. Yes, this hotel is exceptional. Do NOT hesitate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Viajepasyal,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on tripadvisor. We appreceiate your comments about our excellent service and clean rooms. I know we work hard to make a differnce from our competititors with our service! I agree with your comments about our tall ceilings making the room feel larger, I would put our rooms experience up to any of the Downtown luxury hotels. Not to mention we do have a complimentary breakfast and wi fi. Our parking is competitive with hotels in the Downtown and surrounding markets. Again, thank you for the kind words and we look forward to having you stay with us in the future!!!

Regards,

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Front desk was courteous and helpful as we transferred reservations from another hotel ( across town ) in the same corporate family to this one mostly because we wanted to be close to Bass Hall. This is a good looking hotel in an ideal location for events on UT campus or downtown. That is what we paid for ! I believe we stayed the first week this hotel was open and it was obvious that some things were still being "finished" .

Our room was on the seventh floor ( maybe 708 ). We checked in early and I read while my husband napped. There was an awful screeching sound from time to time. I thought it was coming from construction on the roof top of a building across from us and forgot about it as we prepared to attend the concert. The elevators were the source of the loud shrieking sound and it was frightening riding down to the lobby later. I am not usually fearful of elevators, but this one lurched and screamed ......great Halloween promo. Maybe next year !

The room was very comfortable and clean. We liked the high ceilings, color scheme and recycling options , but never could get the room to cool properly. The thermostat had a blue plastic shield which made it glow like a very large night light and disturbed our sleep.
Sleep: Something we did not get at this hotel due to very loud elevator and bright thermostat light . Stumbled down to early cold breakfast-everything was cold and processed except for
hot oatmeal , fresh fruit and bad coffee. Went to Kerby Lane Café after asking Front Desk staff about odd shrieking of elevator. He denied any problem with elevators or hearing of any other complaints. Spoke with manger who asked if I had been one of the parties "stuck on the elevator " the previous day !
This is a very nice hotel. Pricey for a Hampton Inn. We got a below standard tired Hampton Inn breakfast but, beds are fabulous, rooms are clean and the staff are all very patient and courteous. The manager is kind and has a nice sense of humor. $20.00 for parking is a bargain in this part of Austin.
We will not stay there again, but are confident that the big problems ( elevator and thermostat issues ) we experienced have been addressed by now and others will rest more comfortably.

Room Tip: Choose a room as far from elevators as possible !
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Kingarthursfriend,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor. Thank you for the kind words in regadrs to our staff and our location. We agree with you, we love that we are in the heart of downtown yet not in the entertainment district, yet steps away. Thank you for reporting the elevator noise, we have contacted our elevator company and they have repaired the noise. I am sorry for the elevator nosie you experienced. You also mentioned the blue light, we have contacted the thermostat company and have re programed the thermostats so thier is no more blue light in the rooms!!! I am disapointed that our breakfast did not exceed your expectations. We offer the standard Hampton Inn Breakfast and have added upgraded amentities. I personally, check the quality of the breakfast. We are open to suggestions and are continually working to improve our Hampton Inn breakfast. I know company wide, Hampton Inns are scheduled to launch a new breakfast menu later in the year. I hope we can exceed your expectations next time you visit Austin. Again, thank you for the feedback, your information has helped us correct the minor issues you experienced.

Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel staff were very professional and courteous. I was there on business for 2 nights. The ambiance of the hotel lobby is very artsy with the colorful graffiti wall, over-sized spinning violin, and Texas western paraphernalia. The King room was beautiful, clean and very spacious. The bathroom had granite counter tops and a huge stand up shower for two :-) The breakfast menu changed slightly from one day to the next with some standard items both days. Texas shaped waffles, seasoned potatoes, turkey links and pork sausage, eggs, oatmeal, cereal, muffins and fresh fruit. I especially appreciate the turkey links because I don't eat pork. I slept like a Princess with no disturbances. The only issue I had in the room with the toilet was taken care of immediately when I reported it. When I checked out, I noticed the hotel also provide "On The Good Breakfast" in brown bags for guests! Awwwh, how thoughtful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ms. Jacqueline A,

Thank you for staying with us and for the kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to fill out the tripadvisor review and appreciate the kind words about our staff and cleanliness of the hotel. Thank you for noticing the details of our "truly Austin" hotel with the local artwork and overall ambiance of the hotel. Our owner's put a lot of time and effort into the building to seperate us from the standard hotel stay. Thank you for noticing the breakfast menu items changing daily. We feed a number of people and I appreciate you noticing the extra effort we put into changing our menu. We look forward to your next stay with us!!!!

GM
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I rarely submit reviews because usually everything to be said has been said before me but because of the newness of this hotel I want to help get the reviews going for them. This is a really beautiful, perfectly clean, funky hotel with exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. The high ceilings in the rooms are awesome and we had a wrap around balcony as well with a great view of the skyline and the pool (which looked great although were too busy to use it). Before the hotel was even open, I booked and prepaid for F1 weekend and although very pricey, was still a lot cheaper than anything else comparable downtown for that weekend and comparable to what we've paid in other cities for F1. It's a little out of the way if you want to be closer to the action but the Downtown loop bus for F1 worked out well for us. On the other hand, it was a great location for the race shuttles, just four blocks away. We really appreciated the breakfast selections which changed a bit every day and being able to eat quickly before heading out was a true time saver. Hailing a cab is a little tricky because it's not as busy in this area but when we asked the front desk the night before to set one up for the airport at 5:30 a.m. the driver was right on time. As well, when checking in, we asked about cabs and were given a number to call where they would use gps to make sure they had the right caller or something. Sounded great but, again, just never felt the need to use it. One thing I have not seen mentioned yet is there is a little 'store' next to reception with water, drinks, snacks, along with some souvenirs and sundries so that was really convenient. Enjoyed every moment of our stay at this hotel and our overall visit to Austin!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Jodes Y,

Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate your comments as we have only been open for one month. Our staff takes great pride in their hotel and we appreciate you taking to time to appreciate the details of the hotel that seperate us from our competitors. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future. Your review of our hotel is very detailed. We will continue to work hard and continually improve our hotel.

Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel had been open just a month when I stayed here and it blew me away. Tremendous location between the Capitol and the University. Staff was great and the art (including a wall of graffiti and a rotating musical instrument structure) was more in line with a much more expensive hotel.

The staff was wonderful even on the heels of what must have been a really busy Formula 1 weekend. I was lucky enough to get upgraded to a corner suite with floor to ceiling windows on two sides and an amazing view of the Capitol.

Parking, which is always at a premium in Austin, was very easy to deal with.

Would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Austin, especially if you're doing business at the Capitol.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Texas Vinny,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our new hotel. I was delighted to see that we " blew you away". Thank you for the kind words in regards to our great staff and I was happy that our location was to your liking. We are a truly unique hotel and I was glad that you noticed the Austin specific art work around the hotel and appreciated the local artist, Tony Barrios, graffitti wall in our breakfast area and the music sculpture by local artist Jim La Passo. Our parking rates are competitive with local hotels. We enjoyed our F1 weekend customers and I beleive they enjoyed our hotel. Thank you for the kind comments and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Brand new Hotel with extremely clean rooms. Beds were super comfy and the tv was brand new with many great stations. Very high ceilings.

Parking on-site costs 20 bucks but is worth it. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Der Ben K,

Thank you for your "fantastic" remarks in regards to your stay with us. We appreciate that you noticed many of the features of our New Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University / Capitol. I especally appreciate that you found our rooms to be extremely clean! Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in their work and spend time making sure the rooms are as clean as they can be. I will pass on the kudos to our housekeeping staff. We have top of the line Serta Mattress's to ensure a great nights sleep. We love our new tv's as well and we are glad that you noticed the difference between us and other hotels in the area. We look forward to your next stay with us!

GM

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol? Share your experiences!