“Very good but perhaps over hyped.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Salty sow is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 3,160 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Poquito St
Description: Salty Sow comes out of the gate offering exotic and staple cuts — all under $16 — in one of the best spaces in Austin
Austin, Texas
“Very good but perhaps over hyped.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We ate here on a Friday evening arriving during Happy Hour with a table reservation already made. The place was jammed -- the happy hour specials are popular with drink and food items including a variety of Tacos and their 3x duck fat fries. We had the fried cat fish taco and pork belly taco as appetizers which were good and an order of their fries. The tacos were good but not amazing -- Taco Deli could give them a run for their money. The fries were very good.

Our table split a couple of Farm Salads which were delicious and the Salty Sow Charcuterie & Cheese Board which was good and a vegetable sampler.

Service was a little slow but they were slammed when we ordered so with a small kitchen it's not surprising it took a while for food to appear. The dining environment is a somewhat noisy making conversation a little challenging.

I thought the food was very good but the place over hyped and the value reasonable when you factor the happy hour specials.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Austin, Texas
“Mmmm, comfort food and drinks to match”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Charming place outside, but get there early. This place is very hot right now due to its trendy(we were the oldest people there) nature, but more because of its typical Austin atmosphere and good food. Try the fried chicken. Or the chicken liver mousse with pickled onions. Or the deviled eggs. Or the fish tacos.....etc., etc.
Had a delicious white Sangria.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Tx
“Great dining on Manor Road”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The lay out the restaurant is a little peculiar. It gave off a really homy feel which I liked. We sat at a quasi communal table with a little divider between us and the next two top. We got a happy hour menu to peruse. Very impressive selection indeed. We ordered up the Truffled Deviled Eggs and the Triple Fried Duck Fat Fries.

Oh my. I love Deviled Eggs and these were quite yummy. Not for Easter Sunday brunch any more. The Fries were crisp and flavorful and both were at HH prices. As were the drinks which I quaffed down. The appetizers were followed by the Lamb Barbacoa, Blackened Redfish and Brussels Sprouts Leaves.

Suzie enjoyed the Lamb and I stole a few bites and it was very flavorful, however I prefer a more traditional lamb preparation with a mint sauce. But that is just me. My Blackened Redfish was a hit. It has been a long time since I had Blackened fish and it through me back to the late 80's when this seem to be all the rage. It is not the easiest of things to do since you need to burn/sear the outside of the fish and keep the interior moist and flavorful. They executed this easily. The only let down was the sprout leaves. They seemed to me to be over cooked and really didn't do much for me. A nice full roasted sprout would of been a better choice.

Our server, whose name I cannot recall, was on point. He was pleasant, informative and efficient. He didn't hang around and try to be friends with us, but rather was available when we needed him and not around when we were enjoying our new dining neighbors. Which brings up the divider. We had some casual conversation with our dining neighbors and after we finished our appetizers, I asked if we could remove the divider so it felt more of a dining experience. Our waiter, being on the spot again, swooped in took the divider away which really opened up the table. I like that divider idea, it works.

Definitely will be back when we are around the Manor Road area, which seems to be more often these days.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Georgetown, Texas
“Pre-Show Delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Whenever we have tickets to the UT-PAC, we try to have a great dining experience before hand. The Salty Sow is near UT and has been on my radar for quite a while so tonight was the night. We arrived earlier than expected for our 6 PM reservation and they appeared to be happy we did. The parking lot was already filling up at 530 PM. We were seated promptly at a wonderful table outside with the soft evening breeze blowing. Many young professionals were starting the fill the entire restaurant. We started with the Blood Orange Margaritas (Happy Hour prices) and wow were they excellent, but strong! We each had the slow cooked pork with root veggies and it was all we could do to not lick the pot they came in. We had started with the Deviled Eggs and they were equally excellent and ended with a butterscotch custard with caramel sauce...we were stuffed but happy! Since it was HH while we were there, our bill was not too bad - but every penny was well spent! Oh - and staff could not have been more attentive, friendly, or professional!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Happening dinner spot ... even late!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

WE shared a wonderful meal in this eastside culinary mecca, which offers a vibrant bar scene, ample indoor and outdoor seating, and a fesh, inventive menu and lively craft cocktails!

• Visited September 2013