“Happy hour makes me so happy!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Salty sow is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 3,153 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Poquito St
Description: Salty Sow comes out of the gate offering exotic and staple cuts — all under $16 — in one of the best spaces in Austin
Austin
“Happy hour makes me so happy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

First time we came for happy hour. They have an awesome happy hour $4 menu. I loved the 'warm gost cheese fritters'! Catfish taco is very good as well. Can't wait to come back and try all the apps.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Here piggy piggy piggy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

To describe a restaurant as being upscale and hip seems to fly in the face of the decorating theme of pigs everywhere. It was quite charming on the inside. We had a table of 5 and everyone had something different and most were impressed with their selections except for the pork bellies but I don't think she really knew what pork bellies were to begin with. Service was prompt and and very courteous. Loved the appetizers of french fries with duck eggs. The calamari was different, it looked like the whole body was served, not just the tentacles and it was kind of chewy and not very appealing. We also had a bone marrow appetizer which was not worth anything. It looked and tasted like a limp thin beaten oyster. I had the pork blade steak with a Moroccan sauce which was very good, Arugula salad, appetizer, and 3 beers, $43.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Ooowee Piggy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

So start with one of the pig-themed drinks (such as the harvest hogwash or rosemary's piglet) while deciding whether to go for the $20, four-course menu (yes, you read that right), the chef's specials on the other side of the prix fixe dinner; or the regular menu. the chef has smartly decided to offer limited choices -- maybe eight or 10 items -- but there's plenty to choose from, including a nod to pescaterian and vegetarian diners.

Despite repeated visits at both happy hour and more sedate meals in the dining room at the front of the restaurant, i can't resist going for the truffled deviled eggs every time. i will probably resort to violence if they're ever removed from the menu. at one time or another friends and i have eaten our way through the entire appetizer menu: bone marrow, outstanding; oyster boudin balls, initially resisted, but now totally converted; and oh my God -- the chicken liver mousse in a jar is to die for. let me see, what am i omitting -- oh yes: the pastrami salmon, which sounds strange, but is delectable. It comes as a chunk of house-smoked salmon with a peppercorn crust that is served with buttered toast and a chipotle remoulade. i took an out-of-town friend and she has not stopped raving about the salmon and the fried Brussels sprouts leaves we had as appetizers.

the milk-braised pork shoulder, served with white beans and escarole and Pecorino was short on both escarole and Pecorino on my last visit, but the flavors were nevertheless intact. another favorite is the chile -rubbed tuna served over green chile grits with a roasted tomato. if you're one of those people who holds chicken in disdain, this is a good place to get over it: the crispy chicken thighs (and thank god for thighs instead of ultra-boring, ultra tasteless boneless chicken breasts) over smashed new potatoes and neck-bone gravy is very, very special both in flavor and presentation. On the other hand, fans of pork belly will be in hog heaven (pun intended). served with collard greens and a not-too-sweet soy/maple sauce, it was a big hit with my daughter, the former chef. the menu makes it sound sweeter than it is; don't let the "maplke glazed" descriptor turn you off. this is a nicely done pork belly.

this place would get higher marks if it weren't for slips that have occurred on each visit. they are minor, but, for example, if escarole is supposed to be part of a dish, serve it; double check to make sure the cauliflower casserole gets delivered to the table, not collard greens; don't make a diner ask twice for additional sauce. these are minor quibbles at a place that deserves enthusiastic patronage. when diners are clearly involved in a conversation, don't interupt to ask if everything is OK -- and please, don't ask a second time. that said the portions are generous and i've yet to have anything i would even think about sending back.

and now, a warning about dessert: the butterscotch boudino is supposed to be for two, and maybe for some it might be, but it is so damned good you might well want your own. on the other hand, the banana beignets are enough for four.

in other words, you might make a real pig of yourself.

• Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Swine+wine+beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had wanted to find a bit higher end and more elegant restaurant to celebrate an engagement while in Austin, but the engaged couple chose food over atmosphere and picked Salty Sow for dinner. How lucky for us! The interior is charming and comfortable; I loved the piggy art on the walls and would return just to see what swine decorations I missed. We had a high table overlooking the busy kitchen which was a bonus. Our server was friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable.

We indulged in some interesting “signature sips” and found the wine list to be reasonably priced and appealing. The chef sent a complimentary charcuterie plate to the table which was fabulous. We ordered the Triple Fried Duck Fat Fries which I found disappointing and greasy. I am not a huge fry lover, however, and everyone else at the table loved them, so I bow to their assessment of the fries. The Crispy Brussels Sprout Leaves with golden raisins and pecorino proved that even the healthiest veggie can be made into a decadent treat. My husband had the four-course $20 pre fixe menu which was wonderful and quite a bargain. I ordered the Crisp Chicken Thighs with fried smashed potato and neck bone gravy and found the chicken moist and perfectly crisp on the outside, well paired with the potatoes.

If I lived in Austin I would visit Salty Sow regularly to see what surprises the seasonal menu offers. Interesting menu and well prepared food in a cozy spot!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
austin
“Do NOT get the pork belly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Went there for 1st time & got the pork belly. It was a flavored piece of fat about 3 inches long with a couple bites of edible meat. I've had pork belly before and this was absolutely terrible. I complained, the chef said that's how they prepare it. The manager comped our meal because it was unacceptable. It was so bad my girlfriend said she wouldn't kiss me if I ate it !

To be fair, the other menu items we had were pretty good. The environment was good and the staff was very nice. That is why I did not give Salty Sow the lowest rating. IF I go back, I will NOT be getting the pork belly !

• Visited December 2012