“Great Place!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #157 of 187 Hotels in Austin
houston,texas
“Great Place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

My family stayed here in July. Great location to the lake and great place for the money. Would recommend definitely.

Stayed July 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I made reservations for 4 days and the Mountain Star Lodge only had 3 day reservation. The Lodge does not offer what other places offer the 160.00 per night. We stayed at the Mountain Star Lodge for a golf tournament held at Falconhead. The next problem with this establishment was that we kept getting locked out of the room due to a faulty key and we were told they did not have time to fix it or to change the battery in the door. Today before leaving I went to turn in the faulty keys because I did not want to be charged 20.00 each key for not doing so. The manager had charged 106.00 to my credit card for smoking in a non-smoking room. The problem with this is WE DID NOT SMOKE IN THE ROOM PERIOD. She then said she had been to the room and smelled the smoke. I argued that I nor anyone else smoked in the room and the 106.00 was credited to my credit card. I was not aware that a hotel can just charge your card with whatever they want without telling first.
The beds are old and EXTREMELY HARD. NOT WORTH 160.00 PER NIGHT.

• Liked — It was less than a mile from the golf course
  • Disliked — not worth the money
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Waco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! Horrible experience with the manager, Beth, over the phone before we even got there. Tried to cancel reservations because it was our 10th anniversary and my husband booked the room before he knew I had made other plans to surprise him. The manager would NOT let us cancel the reservation and we were going to be charged $150 for the room whether we stayed or not. Tried 3 times to reason with her and explain that we did not want to stay there on our ANNIVERSARY, but could not afford to lose our money. Totally rude, unreasonable, and condescending to me.

So, since we were going to have to pay $150, I cancelled my special plans, and we went to the hotel. It was dingy, musty, and smelled of too much cleaning solution! The decor was 70's log cabin- complete with a picture of a deer on the wall. NOT a quaint, romantic place like my husband had thought (from the website). NO VIEW due to overgrown trees and shrubs. Other guests had taken over the small pool and lobby. We decided we could not ruin our anniversary by staying in this place. I wish my husband had read these other reviews first.

I am so glad we did not ruin our anniversary by staying...even if we are out $150...it was worth it NOT TO STAY! This place needs new management, tree trimming, and re-decorating. Then it might be ok.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Room, management, misleading website
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

I stayed two miserable nights in this "hotel" while visiting a convalescing friend in Austin. The hotel was recommended to me because of its convenient location close to where I needed to be in Austin. Never again.....

Calling this place a "hotel" or even a "lodge" is quite a stretch of the imagination. The entire experience was awful. Granted, I may be a little bit of a spoiled brat, but for $274 I expected at least the bare necessities to be met in this facility.

Here's what you can expect if you make the mistake of staying there. First of all you will get the hardest bed possible with plenty of lumpy smelly pillows. The room was furnished as tacky as anything I've ever seen. Two hard wooden chairs with no cushions, trashy "sticks" hanging on the wall instead of pictures, no desk, no closet doors, no room snacks, no mini-bar, an old-fashioned television on a cheap wooden stand. When I turned it on and waited four minutes for the television to warm up, the reception was so fuzzy that the television was unviewable. The room was sparcely furnished with a college refrigerator sitting on the floor. Air conditioning did not work properly.

The hotel touts a fantastic mountain view. How would anyone be able to enjoy it when the views are entirely blocked by trees?

Accomplishing basic grooming in the place was a disaster. The towels were threadbare. The maid had left an entire 1/3 roll of toilet tissue in the room as well as a nearly-empty box of kleenex. There was a sign on the wall next to the shower saying "hot water is slow to heat". That was a joke. There was NO hot water at all.

The complimentary breakfast was a basket of packaged, stale sweets set up in the lobby with bitter coffee in a thermos.

Don't even think about spending money to stay here. Motel 6 is nicer than this place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — sparce, barren poorly-decorated room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
City, State Orlando, Fl.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

My family and I had a very pleasant stay at the Mountain Star Lodge! If your looking for something different from your normal hum drum hotel, you must stay here.. It is small, intimate and quite unique. The complimentary breakfast was just what we were looking for and all the rooms had their own balcony with a view of the Canyon.
They also have a 3 bedroom two bath house that they rent out nightly, my husband wants to get that on our next trip and bring the whole family. The staff was friendly and helpful giving us directions. Best of all, they are opening a big mall just two blocks from the hotel.

• Liked — Being small and unique
  • Disliked — I liked it all
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

Come on people, there is really nothing good about this place. Stayed one night on business and it cost $132.50. This place is not as good as Motel 6 was when they were $29.00 per night.

The beds were old, hard as rocks, and squeeked any time you moved only slightly. Towels were threadbare and the toiletries were some old fashioned brand like Jergens. Air conditioner is noisy and walls are thin. We had to call to get the people next door to us to turn down the TV. Breakfast, if you can call it that, is a few pre-packaged sweet rolls. As an earlier reviewer said, there is not a view.

We are not pretentious people at all, but really could not wait to check out the next day.

On an incredibly positive note, if you have to be in this area, drive down the road about 9 or 10 miles to the "BACKSTAGE STEAKHOUSE" in Spicewood. We have had dinner there a couple of times and they have really good food. Have the Jalapeno Corn Cakes!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The horrid beds
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2005

Water in toilet ran all night and air conditioning unusually load. I spoke with clerk the next morning and asked to have the manager call me for a constructive suggestion or adjustment. Never returned my call. Have to believe he/she didn't care. Have stayed here before. Probably won't in the future.

Stayed October 2005

Been to Mountain Star Lodge and Hotel? Share your experiences!