“The people at Conde Nast must be crazy (or very lazy!)” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 34 Spas & Wellness in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Spa treatments in a bucolic setting.
Michigan
“The people at Conde Nast must be crazy (or very lazy!)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

Conde Nast says this is the nation's second best spa???!! Oy. They must either be crazy or very, very lazy. The fitness program here is geared toward little old women (and the spa is filled with them as well.) Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against little old women, I just didn't fly to Austin to become one! On the positive side, the food is wonderful (in fact, I gained 5 lbs in three days, not what I was expecting.) The rooms are nice and the spa (read massage) facility was beautiful. But for the price there should also be a top-notch, cutting edge fitness program, and there most certainly was not. I am no olympic athlete. I am a 50 year old executive who maybe gets to exercise an hour a day at home, and I could not find an activity during which I even broke a sweat. The Texas hills hike was literally a walk in the (suburban) park. This is no Canyon Ranch, believe me. The massages were mixed. We had two that were snoozers and one that was very good. The yoga consisted essentially of taking a nap. They did not offer Zumba or Pilates while we were there. There was a hip hop class, but the instructor just taught the steps and then the class ended before we got any aerobic exercise whatsoever. The "wake up aerobics" was another slow walk in their park. The core workout was a demonstration class with no abs actually exercised. It was ridiculous. You could take a treadmill class but I didn't fly to Austen for that either. I have a very nice treadmill in my basement. If you are a little old lady (or man or anyone who doesn't exercise much) you'll probably love it, but if you are even moderately fit, don't come here to get in shape.