“still a best bet in downtown Austin” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Memphis, Tennessee
“still a best bet in downtown Austin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I continue to stay at this property when my travels bring me to Austin. Twice in early 2015 I had occasion to stay; restaurant continues to be better than it has to be and a viable option even in a city with a plethora of downtown standouts.

The fitness facility is great, and the newly renovated executive lounge is a great respite from the noisy lobby bar.

My only cause for concern here is the constant inflation of room rates. $400+ for non-SXSW nights is a regular theme, especially when booking at the last minute. I'll continue to pick this great hotel for its location and amenities, but also take a close look at the JW once they get the wrinkles ironed out.

Stay tuned as i'll be posting another review following a ten night stay here for SXSW...

Room Tip: South side away from the elevators are my preference
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Va USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was here attending a conference so I did not get a chance to do much sightseeing, but it seems to be centrally located - close to 6th street area definitely walking distance.
The rooms were just ok - nothing spectacular there, while they were functional certainly - they were "drab" it is not a room you would walk into and say "wow what a great hotel". The lobby and meeting spaces were certainly fine - again nothing over the top but nothing wrong with them either.
The staff was friendly for the most part. I did have a hotel housekeeper knock on my door at 7:40 wanting to clean - I think this is way too early to start trying to do that. Also I stopped by the front desk asking about where I could find a salon nearby. They handed me a map and made a circle on it and wrote the name down. No offer was made to call them for me or ask me some questions - ie: that would be going above and beyond and something that would have been appreciated. I got the bare minimum. Asked a question - she answered it. Nothing more nothing less. The climate in the room was problematic - if you turned it up it got very hot but if you turned it down it got icy cold. Also the walls were paper thin I could hear the guy next door to me on the phone regularly - as well as his TV and alarm clock. I also ordered dry cleaning that was guaranteed to be delivered by 5:00. It came at 6:30 and since my event had already started I had to wear something else. They still charged me for it. I did not eat at the restaurants, but the banquet food was definitely average to slightly below average. This hotel, to me, was a ho-hum typical business spot. If I were coming to Austin to stay with my family on a vacation, I'd look for something with a little more "oomph" on just about every level. Even if it was not as centrally located. But it is fine for business!

Room Tip: Something not facing the industrial area that was out my window -- oddly the front desk guy told me...
Green Features: Not sure. Seemed to be fine they offered the green towel policy
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Diana N, Social Media Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Shelly,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback here with us. We are very sorry to hear your recent stay here at our hotel fell below your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies. We will make sure to address these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback helps us to improve. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding your concerns. We can be reached at diana.nogueira@hilton.com Thank you again for your feedback. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you travel to the area.
Charleston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Hotel is excellent - staff is better! Would stay here again if in the Austin area. Great rooms, meeting rooms, dining, etc. Beautiful facility. If I were to have any complaint, it would be that I had to wait in line at the Fitness Center for a treadmill - too many people like to excercise at 5:30 AM.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you so much Terri! We are so glad to hear about your great experience here at our hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments here with us and can't wait to welcome you back!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Good location if going to a Convention Center event. Just one block off 6th Street entertainment section of downtown. Can get noisy on weekends but staff addresses it. Allows pets! :-) Beds were comfortable but heating/cooling system was tricky. It was either too hot or too cold. Could never get it just right.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Diana N, Social Media Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review here on TripAdvisor! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location here in downtown Austin and that you found our beds comfortable. We are a pet-friendly hotel and we welcome our guest's furry pets friends! Thank you again for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future!
Naperville, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

For our company's training meeting, the organizers scheduled the meetings here in Austin at the downtown Hilton. We had people from around the world; the hotel was a fine place for a big meeting, the location was excellent, the rooms were good -- I'd recommend this hotel for business (and even!) personal travelers to Austin.

I had a reasonable sized room with a king sized bed, a large desk, easy chair and foot rest, big closet and a nice package of electronics upgrades: USB chargers, bed side master light control, 2 business-grade desk phones, wired and wireless internet connection. The internet had a few tiers of pricing: free (the option I picked), the for-fee option ($14.95/day), and the Hilton Honors rate (free?). My free internet was good enough to watch Slingbox video streaming.

The bathroom was normal sized. It's been updated and I liked the extra large shower head.

The whole lobby area was big, and it was a good area for spontaneous meetings. It had a Starbucks, a fine dining restaurant and a decent sized bar. The hotel staff did a good job serving us breakfast and lunch just outside of our meeting rooms on the 6th floor.

The hotel is on 5th street. It's just a block from the famous 6th street music district. I went for a walk from the hotel, I walked the length of 6th street; I then turned right and walked North on Congress Ave upto the Texas Capitol and then walked back. In the late evening, the bars on 6th had live music playing. There weren't a lot of people, but for a weekday evening, it was nice to see live entertainment. The neon signs and street lighting make for nice photos.

The Texas Capitol is huge. At night, it is beautifully lit up and worth visiting, if only to take a picture. Again, for my walk, there weren't alot of people. It was a week night and rather cold.

The hotel is only 7 miles from the airport. I took a Super Shuttle ($13+tip) from the airport; taxis are nominally $25. The hotel has a special deal with Super Shuttle: they always drop off here first when coming from the airport, and pick up last when going to the airport.

So I shouldn't care because I was here on business, but it is pretty nice to come here because it is so close to the Austin music scene. Even though this wasn't a party week, you could tell that the 6th Street area is getting ready for the upcoming SXSW (South by South West) music/technology event. Our hotel, the nearby streets, and advertising bill boards were promoting SXSW. This hotel would be a prime place to stay (maybe some day I'll come back, but only for music)!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Diana N, Social Media Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments here with us. We are glad your company held their training here at our hotel and that you got to stay with us. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay here at our hotel! We sure hope to see you again soon (for SXSW) or any other time. Thanks again for your feedback and loyalty.
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Perfect location, very clean and nice hotel. Staff were all friendly and helpful as well. Easy walking distance to the capital and many local restaurants. The fitness center is first class with plenty of treadmills. The only issue that we had was the sirens from the street were sometimes heard.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank so much for taking the time to share your comments here with us. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our central location in downtown Austin, nearby many great restaurants, bars and attractions. We are pleased to hear you liked our Skyline Spa and Health Club as well! We apologize for any noise you experienced with the sirens. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We attended a convention last weekend at this hotel. Very nice hotel...the service staff was absolutely first rate...very friendly...very helpful. Great rooms plus very near Austin's 6th Street nightlife action. Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2015
TXJoeGo,

On behalf of our entire team, thank you so much for the 5-Star review! We are thrilled to hear you had such a great stay here at our hotel and that our staff took great care of you. We love hearing that! Thank you very much for your support. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Been to Hilton Austin? Share your experiences!