“Close to Convention Center” 4 of 5 stars

Save over $60/night
Ranked #56 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
“Close to Convention Center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Good location if going to a Convention Center event. Just one block off 6th Street entertainment section of downtown. Can get noisy on weekends but staff addresses it. Allows pets! :-) Beds were comfortable but heating/cooling system was tricky. It was either too hot or too cold. Could never get it just right.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Naperville, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

For our company's training meeting, the organizers scheduled the meetings here in Austin at the downtown Hilton. We had people from around the world; the hotel was a fine place for a big meeting, the location was excellent, the rooms were good -- I'd recommend this hotel for business (and even!) personal travelers to Austin.

I had a reasonable sized room with a king sized bed, a large desk, easy chair and foot rest, big closet and a nice package of electronics upgrades: USB chargers, bed side master light control, 2 business-grade desk phones, wired and wireless internet connection. The internet had a few tiers of pricing: free (the option I picked), the for-fee option ($14.95/day), and the Hilton Honors rate (free?). My free internet was good enough to watch Slingbox video streaming.

The bathroom was normal sized. It's been updated and I liked the extra large shower head.

The whole lobby area was big, and it was a good area for spontaneous meetings. It had a Starbucks, a fine dining restaurant and a decent sized bar. The hotel staff did a good job serving us breakfast and lunch just outside of our meeting rooms on the 6th floor.

The hotel is on 5th street. It's just a block from the famous 6th street music district. I went for a walk from the hotel, I walked the length of 6th street; I then turned right and walked North on Congress Ave upto the Texas Capitol and then walked back. In the late evening, the bars on 6th had live music playing. There weren't a lot of people, but for a weekday evening, it was nice to see live entertainment. The neon signs and street lighting make for nice photos.

The Texas Capitol is huge. At night, it is beautifully lit up and worth visiting, if only to take a picture. Again, for my walk, there weren't alot of people. It was a week night and rather cold.

The hotel is only 7 miles from the airport. I took a Super Shuttle ($13+tip) from the airport; taxis are nominally $25. The hotel has a special deal with Super Shuttle: they always drop off here first when coming from the airport, and pick up last when going to the airport.

So I shouldn't care because I was here on business, but it is pretty nice to come here because it is so close to the Austin music scene. Even though this wasn't a party week, you could tell that the 6th Street area is getting ready for the upcoming SXSW (South by South West) music/technology event. Our hotel, the nearby streets, and advertising bill boards were promoting SXSW. This hotel would be a prime place to stay (maybe some day I'll come back, but only for music)!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Diana N, Social Media Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments here with us. We are glad your company held their training here at our hotel and that you got to stay with us. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay here at our hotel! We sure hope to see you again soon (for SXSW) or any other time. Thanks again for your feedback and loyalty.
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Perfect location, very clean and nice hotel. Staff were all friendly and helpful as well. Easy walking distance to the capital and many local restaurants. The fitness center is first class with plenty of treadmills. The only issue that we had was the sirens from the street were sometimes heard.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank so much for taking the time to share your comments here with us. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our central location in downtown Austin, nearby many great restaurants, bars and attractions. We are pleased to hear you liked our Skyline Spa and Health Club as well! We apologize for any noise you experienced with the sirens. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We attended a convention last weekend at this hotel. Very nice hotel...the service staff was absolutely first rate...very friendly...very helpful. Great rooms plus very near Austin's 6th Street nightlife action. Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2015
TXJoeGo,

On behalf of our entire team, thank you so much for the 5-Star review! We are thrilled to hear you had such a great stay here at our hotel and that our staff took great care of you. We love hearing that! Thank you very much for your support. We can't wait to welcome you back!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Hotel is wonderful, rooms appointed nicely and amenities are there.

They accommodated me as a walk-up, without a reservation and the front desk was A+

I used the pool and hot tub and both were clean. Very well situated and close to everything.

I would recommend for the business traveler, without hesitation.

Room Tip: High Floor was my preference
DDDMAX,

Thank you very much for your review here on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled to hear you had an excellent stay here at our hotel and that you found our recently-renovated guest rooms to be beautiful and well-appointed. We appreciate your support and loyalty and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in a near future!
Friendswood, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I have stayed at this location in the past and loved it so when my son had a lacrosse tournament in the area, I chose to skip the discounted rooms at a budget hotel provided by the team and stay here.
We arrived later in the evening and was told valet was full. Traveling without my husband, I was disappointed that I would have to walk around a garage that was open to the public but brushed it off. The garage was almost full and parking was a hassle.
Upon check in I was told the room I reserved a month ago was not available. It was my son's first trip to Austin so I requested a room with a city view but was given a view of the freeway. The desk clerk thought I'd be thrilled about the reduced price of my room but if I wanted a cheaper room I would have reserved it. Apparently there was a convention in town and my room was taken but she gave me access to the executive level where snacks and Continental breakfast was complementary.
This turned out to be a useless comp because the next morning I went to get some coffee and the room was jam packed full of convention attendees. I gave up and went to Starbucks.
When we were trying to get out of the garage to head to our game we were met with a MASSIVE back up. No one was able to get out of the parking garage! Being on a time schedule this was very upsetting. I stopped someone driving in to park and asked what the problem was. He said the arm on the exit wasn't working. WHAT??! I know for a fact that there is some way to raise that arm manually. Sure, they'd miss out on a few dollars from parking fees but that would be better than making us wait 30 mins to get out! Now we were running late.
The parking situation continued to be an ongoing problem throughout the weekend and the fees from going in and out of the garage (and not being able to use my room key to gain entrance) were so ridiculous I ended up using Uber to get around Saturday night. Yes, it was easier!
In review: The hotel seemed to care less about the comfort and happiness of my stay. The way my concerns were casually dismissed gave me the impression that they were concentrating their efforts on the mass bookings provided by the convention and not my single reservation. If I was paying under $200 a night I would anticipate this kind of treatment but that was not the case here. Next time I'll pay a little more and stay at the Four Seasons. They won't pinch parking garage pennies or sacrifice individual guest satisfaction for large group accommodation.

Room Tip: Cross your fingers and hope a convention isn't in town. Check in as early as possible or risk ha...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments here with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for your disappointing experience here at our hotel. We are very sorry to hear about the parking challenges you experienced and that you were unable to take full advantage of our Executive Level Lounge. We know this was an important weekend for you and and your family we are so so sorry we have let you down. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding your concerns and make things right. We will private message you and we can also be reached at diana.nogueira@hilton.com Thank you for your attention. We hope you will consider giving us another chance the next time your travels bring you to Austin.

DIANA NOGUEIRA I Social Media Manager – Sales & Marketing
HILTON AUSTIN
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Room was modern and clean, but the lighting and mirror in bathroom was designed by and for a man. Not great for a business woman to prepare for her day - needs a shaving/makeup mirror on the side, with better lighting. Was on a high floor but there was loud music that carried up to my room late in the evening, both nights. Austin is evidently a party town but if you are downtown for a business convention it would be nice to get a little sleep. Would not have been happy on a lower /noisier floor. Nice coffee setup, nice view from high room, great location next to train and convention center. Hallways were quiet.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Diana N, Social Media Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Luana,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments here with us. We appreciate you sharing your concerns regarding the bathroom and mirror lighting. We sincerely apologize for any noise you may have experienced during your stay. We are glad to hear you liked our coffee setup, enjoyed our skyline views and our central location in downtown Austin. We hope you will consider us again the next time your travels bring you to Austin. Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Hilton Austin? Share your experiences!