“Nice Hotel - a few issues” 3 of 5 stars

Triple Play Savings
Ranked #54 of 184 hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, United States
“Nice Hotel - a few issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a fine hotel. Room was nice and clean. Just a few issues with customer service. We had to ask multiple times to get the pack and play brought up to the room. It might not seem like a big deal but when you have a tired, cranky 17 month old, it can get that way very quickly. Upon receiving our bill when we checked out, I noticed we were overcharged for the room rate, as well as for in room dining and the mini bar. Luckily accounting was able to reverse the charges but I would tell any guest to double check their bill. Pool is nice, but not very family friendly. Its more like a spring break type of pool. We had to move our baby so an intoxicated girl could do a cannonball. We visit Austin every year. We will probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Michelleshall, Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking a few moments to share your recent experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay, but would like to apologize that it fell short of your expectations. We have addressed the matter of the delay in the pack and play delivery with our Housekeeping team and hope you will reconsider your decision and afford us the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you return to Austin.

1,112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I recently stayed here with a rather large and unorthodox group of friends. They've got ample parking underground, incredibly clean rooms with comfortable beds, and it's in a great location, especially for the Convention Center across the street. Most importantly, If you need anything else, at any time, all you've got to do is ask. A dozen blankets at 1 in the morning? done. no questions asked. But seriously, one girl at the front desk, Mariana, really went out of her way for us. If we needed to know where we should go to eat, or where to hang out or anything, she would always help us out. She really made us feel at home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a few moments to let us know about your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that Mariana really made you feel at home. We hope you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you find yourself in Austin!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Grea location. Nice rooms. The only negatives are valet parking fills up quick and self parking is behind hotel in a public parking garage. The other thing is no free breakfast. There is a starbucks like place in the lobby. Same prices as starbucks. Very close to 6th street. Great experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will consider us once again the next time your travels return you to Austin!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I will caveat this review by saying that I've just spent two weeks at Hilton properties in Asia - and having Diamond status abroad, in particular in China, actually means something. Unfortunately, my Austin experience was sub-par even to Hilton hotels in Florida.

I had booked my stay (5 nights) about 9 days in advance, arrived around 8PM and check-in was courteous and swift. So far, all good. Don't believe I got an upgrade as I had booked a single bed king. I was told I had been upgraded but there are no actual amenities located on the 24th floor (lounge is on 25) so I'm not sure what the 'value' of my upgrade would have been.

My robe was laid out and there were two chocolates. Mini bar was locked and keys nowhere to be found. Some mold in the shower behind the soap rack, view of the (not so sexy) top of the convention center. I rang down and asked whether I could get a city view. I was told there were only bigger rooms (different category) or 'more narrow rooms in the middle' available and I was strongly suggested to remain in my 'executive floor' room. So I did. My amenity - 2 bottles of water.

First thing I noticed in the mornings - some rooms had newspapers at the doorstep, others didn't. I didn't. I went to the gym which is rather nice for a hotel, 100 pound free weights, etc. The executive lounge left a nice first impression - and then I tried the food. The hard boiled eggs were..disintegrating in the middle. They were not hard boiled, there were simply overcooked beyond anything I'd ever seen. Think dry, inedible crumbles. The baked goods were also on the tougher, overdone side (a muffin should be moist in the middle...). I asked whether I could just got vouchers for the Starbucks in the lobby but was told that's for Gold members only and that I had the 'privilege' of the lounge. => More like a punishment.

That night I returned to my room, robe still on the couch where I had left it. 2 new waters. No chocolates. And only some of the bathroom amenities were restocked. Now I had 2 shampoos but no body wash or soap.

Next morning, I tried the lounge again - same issues. That was my last trip to the lounge. Effective value of this 'benefit': Zero (for me). Still no paper. I used the bathrobe and left it on the bathroom floor.

That night, same thing - 2 new waters, no chocolate, no robe laid out - and the used one was not replaced. This would be the same for the next two nights - 2 waters, no turn down service, no chocolates, no papers and randomly restocked bathroom amenities.

On my last night, I decided to explore town a bit. Upon leaving, there was vomit in the elevator. I mentioned this to two staff members. I returned about 90 minutes later - vomit was still in the elevator, people were actually playing a game of 'dodge that puke'.

For five nights in the same room, I would have expected to have my sheets changed once - this was not the case.

Net net - the location is decent, parking (non valet) rather tough, the property is clean (aside from the mold I mentioned - and the vomit issue) and one can get some decent rest. But the interior is dated and spartan, service not proactive at all and my hallway smelled musky. Overall a very disappointing stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michelleshall, Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit. We regret to hear that the stay fell short of your expectations and would encourage you to reach out to us directly so that we can ensure appropriate compensation is awarded. We greatly appreciate the feedback you have provided and will ensure that it is passed along to the respective departments for follow up.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Austin.
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel was on the ball, the staff took care of every thing we were having trouble with. They were able to tell us great restaurants to check out, and nice locations to just enjoy yourself at. It was actually a very relaxing stay, at one point we were freaked out because of a parking charge mix up. When we went to talk to concierge about it Mariana was able to take care of it for us with out costing us any time. This was a wonderful place to stay, I recommend it highly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Michelleshall, Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for mentioning the wonderful service provided by Mariana! She is a valued member of our team and we are lucky to have her.
We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider us once again should your future travels return you to Austin!
Davis, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hilton in Austin and I had nothing but great things to say. The person behind the front desk, Mariana, was extremely helpful. She was able to answer all of our questions and tell us some good places to eat in town.

Besides that, the service was really good and the hotel was very tidy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a few moments to share your recent experience with us! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that you found Mariana to be so helpful - we agree that she is a wonderful addition to our team!
We appreciate your feedback and hope you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Austin!
El Paso, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Great experience over the long 4th of July holiday weekend! Outstanding hotel with great location to 6th street, Congress Street Bridge (for the bats) and a short walk to UT / Capital building. Staff was extremely helpful in recommending one of the best burgers we've had visiting Austin. Hotel also had a great no party policy which kept the party on 6th street and the hotel rooms for sleeping. Nothing worst than paying for a nice hotel to have it ruined by loud and rude people! We'll be returning again soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the convenience of being in the downtown area. We hope you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to Austin!

Been to Hilton Austin? Share your experiences!