“Disappointing Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 182 hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Disappointing Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I usually stay at Hyatt's, so feel a bit spoiled by Hyatt after staying at this Hilton. I expect the high parking charge since it is adjacent to a convention center, but was appaled to find that the charge for internet use was very unreasonable. Over $15 per device per room per day. The shower temperature and flow was dificult to control and I don't think that they could have found a cheaper hair dryer to stock in their rooms. I really had much highter expectations for almost $200/night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Michelleshall, Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit. Please accept my sincere apologies that you found your stay to be anything less than excellent. I will certainly advise our maintenance team about the concerns you mentiohed and appreciate your bringing the matter to our attention.
Again, thank you for sharing your feedback and I do hope you will consider us the next time your travels return you to Austin.

1,066 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've stayed in this place a couple of times, mainly for business confrences that are held on-site. The rooms are nice and it's hard to beat the ability to pop back up to the room for a bit during the lulls between rushes that are the ebb and flow of most professional confrences.

The rooms are nice, well appointed and they all pretty much have a decent view of downtown Austin since they start on the 8th floor I believe. The service is good but it all comes at a fairly steep price. I would never consider staying here on my own dime but if someone else is footing the bill it's quite enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Michelleshall, Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for taking a few moments to let us know about your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed the service and convenience provided by the hotel during your time with us. Keep an eye out for some summer promotions we are running later in the year; we would love to welcome you back the next time you find yourself in Austin!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Postiives: Wonderfully polite check-in, bellman and concierge (Angie) help with pool pass. Room was adequate and clean for me and a buddy. Great location for walking along 6th, hitting good restaurants, UT campus. Large, bustling lobby has a Starbuck's.

Negatives: About that pool pass...it was for the W pool becuase the Hilton pool was closed, which was not advertised at all on TripAdvisor and not prominently advertised on the hotel site. Phoned guest services after reserving but they were less than helpful. Emailed corporate and haven't heard back. $24/day parking and slow going trying to get out of garage so plan ahead if you need to get somewhere fast.

Room Tip: We were on 21st floor and had eastward view. All floors are high so should be quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Michelleshall, Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking a few moments to let us know about your recent visit. I am pleased to hear that you had a great arrival experience; please accept my apologies if you were not made aware of our pool renovations ahead of time. In the meantime, as you mentioned, we do have alternate arrangments for our guests, and are eagerly anticipating the reopening of our brand new pool area later this month. I hope you will visit us again sometime soon to see the new pool firsthand!
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Hilton Austin is one of the big downtown hotels and it has all you want if you're a business traveler. My only minor complaint is a cramped, hard-to-maneuver parking garage. Get a compact rental car. The rest of the hotel is typical, high-standard Hilton. Quiet and comfortable. Nice furnishings. Decent bar and coffee/snack shop. Location is great. Near airport, near great food either downtown or just a few miles from authentic, roadside, big-smoker BBQ. It's also reasonably close to the great new Circuit of the Americas racetrack that you have to see to believe. Go there for Formula 1 and MotoGP events. Book this hotel ahead. When things are happening in the city, it can be fully booked, which is no surprise. It's a fine hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay! I am so pleased to hear that you had a great experience. We hope to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to downtown Austin!
Grand Prairie, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

in downtown Austin so you are in the middle of the excitement. We took a pedicab to eat. Parking in the basement so large SUVs are a bit tight. Beautiful hotel with nice boutique shopping for the wife. Pretty nice room but not sure there is a good view when staying in a dowtown hotel unless you get a high floor.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor room so you can see further than across the street
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelleshall, Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for taking a few moments to let us know about your recent stay! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and I hope we can welcome you back the next time your travels return you to the Austin area!
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

As far a as Hilton goes, you can't go wrong. But I was expecting some hot fresh cookies on checkin and was disappointed. Other than that, the room was super clean and the staff was able to help no questions asked.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Hilton Austin was the site of conference I needed to attend and I was make it a habit to stay at the host hotel. It was full, staffed to handle it, but for $300 a night, you expect more from the room and some amenities, starting with free internet. $14.98 a day when you're charging $300 for a room is gouging and something that is given away at much lesser hotels.

The room was fine, but I've stayed in nicer for half the price. I suppose when you have a captive audience you can charge what you want, but if I go back to Austin, I'll see what else is available.

For the business traveler, the UPS store by the front desk is very convenient and staff is great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Michelleshall, Manager at Hilton Austin, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you had a great experience with our staff and enjoyed the convenience of the UPS center. With regard to the rooms, I wanted to make you aware that we will be undergoing renovations to our guest rooms beginning later this year, so I do hope you will return after its completion to give us your feedback on the difference.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback; we realize you have many options when visiting the area, and hope you will consider us once again the next time your travels return you to Austin.

Been to Hilton Austin? Share your experiences!