“Feels like I'm back in Nagoya” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #296 of 3,151 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Japanese
Austin, Texas
“Feels like I'm back in Nagoya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I lived 3 years in Japan, and when I went into Kome, I felt "natsukashii" (nostalgic). This is the first restaurant I've been in that reminded me of Japan's ramen-ya's. The place has more than ramen, but that's what I've fixated on trying in the cooler months. I believe they only serve ramen at lunch, so make sure to give it a go. They did miso ramen; rich broth, flavorful ingredients. Perfection. I'd requested this once in another restaurant years back and had been asked if I lived in Nagoya or somewhere. I had, but I didn't know that this was a more localized form of serving ramen in certain Japanese regions. Now I know where I can get my fix in Austin.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ft Hood
“Difficult to find...but worth the discovery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I visited Kome recently with friend - both in search of Ramen. Lunch at Kome was casual and relaxed with an eclectic group of diners. I ordered the grilled mackerel and a Texas brewed sake (didn't know that existed) and enjoyed every bit of lunch. I did not try the sushi but noticed many around us did as it was a popular item for lunch. I will definitely return to this hidden gem worth a visit if you're a fan of Japanese food.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Soso”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We ordered various dishes. The maki roll was o.k., the rest tasted bland. The dishes bore Japanese names, but tasted more like regular fried food.
The service was very good, but the restaurant was far to noisy, and the decor is not particularly appealing.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Austin
“Uchi food at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

If you love Uchi, you are going to love Kome, a hidden gem on Airport Blvd between 51st and I35. A former chef at Uchi that started Sushi a Go Go has now opened up this popular eating spot. The place has only been open for a couple of months and already there is a wait to get at table for lunch.

I've been three times and have not been disappointed. They have a tasty and very reasonable lunch menu, For around 8 bucks you get an entree, soup, side salad and Japanese pickles. You have plenty of cash left over to try some of Kome's creative and interesting sushi rolls, try the MIdnight Sun, a deep fried sushi roll with salmon, cream cheese, avocado and jalapeno.

Even if you are not a sushi fan, there is plenty on the menu to satisfy. The shrimp and vegetable tempura is melt-in-your mouth perfect and not greasy. The noodle soups are messy, but tasty. Try the soup special, if they have it - the miso ramen noodle soup with kemchi....spicy but not too many peppers, so you can taste the separate goodies in the soup: noodles, pork, quail egg and eel. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

The have specials on beer, so skip going back to work.

And split the green tea ice cream dessert with others at your table. We didn't see this on the menu, but the table next to us ordered it and it looked so good, we asked our waitress to order us one. Perfect, cool way to end a terrific meal.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“What a overrated sushi restaurant!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

First off our water in our water glasses smelled fishy!!! Decor looks like a frat house was hired to decorate the place.
Expensive, terrible service, average food.
Don't waste your time or money here!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere