“A Breakfast Cooked To Order!!!” 5 of 5 stars

1108 Blanco Street, Austin, TX 78703 (Formerly Southard House) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #7 of 39 Austin B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Breakfast Cooked To Order!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The owners were out of town but Jennifer, the fill-in hostess, was just delightful. Breakfast was cooked to order as we sat at the raised bar in the large dining area and chatted about why we should go to Wimberley, Texas for the day and where should we have dinner that evening. The conversation was full of great tidbits and lots of humor....but back to the breakfast. Juice. Coffee.Fruit and yogurt. Fried pancakes. Bacon. Homemade blueberry muffins. And, how about ending it all with a hot-out-of-the-oven spinach and onion quiche. Yum!

We stayed in the Van Gogh, a large room with a comfortable bed, nice bathroom, and a terrific shower. It was 104 degrees in Austin and the water pressure in the shower was spectacular.

The location of Brava House is convenient to Congress Avenue, University of Teas and lots of local restaurants but, for some fun, be certain to visit Whole Foods mother store at 6th and Lamar, just blocks away. Really good fun with food and then grab some goodies for your in-room fridge.

We would stay again, but.........not a complaint, just an observation. Brava House doesn't have a central living room, a place other than your room to hang out in, meet other guests, share conversations over a glass of wine. Although there is a court yard, that is hardly an option in the blazing Texas heat.

Many "Thanks!" to Jennifer for not only sharing her culinary skills but also for her warm, welcoming personality. She very quickly and easily made us feel at home and we checked out as happy, happy guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Brava House during the week for one last get away before school starts. We stayed in the room called the Garbo (I love how they named their rooms!) The room is so big we could bring the kids next time and still have our own space. Breakfast was always wonderful and met with a warm smile, conversation and great recommendations for places to eat and things to do. We walked to a different restaurant every night and rented bikes that were dropped off and picked up from the B&B which made it so easy. We just can't say enough about how friendly everyone was (other guests included) the B&B experience is the way to go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I ended up here due to our friends recommendation. Our friends were spot on. Our hosts at the Historical Brave House were extremely welcoming and helpful. What a great location in Historical downtown Austin. The B&B is within walking distance to nighttime entertainment in downtown Austin. They gave us great ideas on where to go for both day and night. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and comfortable. The room was furnished with well preserved antique furniture to keep the feel of the era. Our breakfast was delicious. I loved getting away from the rush for the weekend. We will definitely come back and as our friends did.....pass it on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

After spending $540 on a three night stay, you'd at least expect the trash in your room to get emptied once, the dirty dishes to be removed, and maybe the bed turned down? Not once did we get any of this service and our towels were only changed out when we called and asked for new ones because the first towels they gave us STUNK. They smelled disgusting and I don't understand how it's okay to give your guests towels with a foul odor. Simply use some bleach in the wash and that problem is solved. After other guests said the same thing months ago on tripadvisor, I thought they would fix the issue, but I don't think they care.

Another guest said they felt like they were intruders rather than guests and I second that. It was an inconvenience that we were even there and I feel they care more about profit than running a pleasant bed and breakfast--and yes, it does upset me to have to pay a $1 if I'd like to enjoy coffee in my room. After spending $540, you can't provide coffee in the rooms for your guests? Any basic hotel offers this at no charge.

Above I said we had to call to ask for new towels. That's because nobody is ever around. If you need something, forget it. They should at least put a note up about contact information or have a system where they can be somewhat available if a guest needs anything. We felt like we were staying at an abandoned house and that we were on our own.

On top of this, the room was dark and poorly maintained, the ceiling fan wobbled and made noise all night, the TV remote's batteries were dead, and the A/C is only allowed to be lowered to around 78--which is not very cool in Austin (and I normally like my house at 80 degrees in Denver). The cloth chairs on the front porch are so dirty you can't sit on them, so forget getting out of the dark room to enjoy your coffee (that you paid to brew in your room).

Breakfast is only for an hour and is mediocre at best. In fact, on the third day the bread they served us had gone bad and tasted like it was rancid. It's a very bare-bones breakfast and we were even there on the weekend when they kick it up a notch. The breakfast does not add any value and I am more impressed by breakfast at Hampton Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We found previous reviewers to all agree that the location, the neighborhood, the wonderful breakfasts, the great rooms, and the fabulous hostesses/owners of Brava House were reasons to stay here while visiting Austin. We completely agree! Besides all of those wonderful reasons, Robin and Mary are GREAT for providing tourist tips for the best places to go for food and local Austin flavor! They are definitely experts at being "locals" in Austin! They helped us tremendously! We highly recommend Brava House and can't wait to visit again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked my stay at the Brava House last minute as I was taking a work trip to Austin and wasn't able to solidify dates in advance. When all of the Marriots etc. were full; I wanted to see what my best alternatives were.

Well, The Brava House will not be an alternative for me again...it will be my FIRST choice when I come stay in Austin!

It was a $25 cab ride from the airport (I didn't rent a car) and walking distance to the well-known 6th street for all the good restaurants and bars. As a lone woman in a new city, I also felt VERY safe in this area walking by myself.

The house was very clean...and the room I stayed in was large suite! (Larger than any hotel I would've booked!). The room was furnished with beautiful antiques, and I had a lot of space to relax. Each room within the suite had a ceiling fan, which was great because it was REALLY hot in Austin!

The inn keepers were friendly but not in your face the whole time. They treated you like a roommate, and let you go about your business as you please!

Breakfast was satisfying--it wasn't a large spread by any means, but enough to do the trick and fill your belly in the morning (mostly toast, jam, butter, muffins, pancakes, and yogurt). If you want some a little more---there is a great bakery just down the street as well!

There is no fitness center nor swimming pool--but I would suggest doing a trail or walk around the city if you are looking for some excercise anyway!

Overall, I don't have even one negative thing to say about my experience at the Brava House...except I wish I could've stayed longer! :)

I will stay here again next time I come--and I suggest you do the same!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was in Austin for a wedding weekend jam packed with fun activities, however because of my calm retreat at the Brava House, I was refreshed and ready for each new activity. The breakfast was the perfect way to start my day: fresh, tasty, and home cooked! Although the place was booked up, I rarely saw any other travelers. I felt like I had this wonderful, cozy, and inspiring place all to myself. I loved every aspect of my stay! Thanks again, Robin & Mary!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Brava House Bed And Breakfast? Share your experiences!