“Sub-par” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Café, Oyster Bar
Austin, Texas
“Sub-par”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Had I not gotten oysters review might have been better. First, they apparently don't know how to get the grit out of their raw oysters on the half shell. Virtually everyone of them was in the verge of tooth-chipping crunchy. I also (unfortunately) ordered the fried oyster basket. They were crunchy on the outside & soggy to the point of juice squirting out on the inside when I bit into them. Fiancé got the fried shrimp basket which was done perfectly. Think they need to work on fry & shucking techniques for oysters tho. Heard the same from friends after. Decor is casual but prices are steep for the atmosphere. They could learn a thing or five from quality seafood on north side of town...go there instead-worth the trip!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Austin, Texas, United States
“The food smells like the ocean; not fish..... A hidden gem; only real seafood in south Austin.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I really liked the freshness as a seafood connoisseur. Live craw fish and live oysters make it. Fried food not too heavy.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Flower Mound, Texas
“An Original - Authentic Louisiana Creole & Cajun - Second To None”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We are relocating to Austin from DFW where we spent a miserable 10 years of our lives in terms of finding any establishment that came close to this place given my wife and I are both originally from Louisiana and know GOOD FOOD. We have been in Austin now 2 weeks & have been to Port A Cafe three times plus take-out once. Let me put it this way:
- The Charbroiled Oysters on the half-shell are beyond tasty - they are to be savored with every bite!
- The Gumbo is the best I've ever had outside of my wife's homemade recipe!
- The Oyster Po-Boy is original New Orleans from the bread itself that it is served on to the breading on the oysters and the toppings!
- The fried "Double-Keeper" with oysters and catfish with the fresh cut fries is great if you're in a fried food mood! In fact, I've had their catfish both fried and pan-seared Bayon Rouge Style (parsley lemon butter) and it is the freshest, most tasty I've ever eaten!
- I've never had room for dessert (e.g. Beignets), but that is in my future plans!

Austin has many wonderful, unique restaurants, but if you ever want the TRUE Louisiana dining experience, treat yourself to Port A Cafe & have a Prickly Pear Margarita to get things kicked off, then just let Chef Adam & his team take over!!!

• Visited March 2012