“A Very Good Hotel in Austin, TX” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
The HHonors Weekend
Ranked #44 of 187 Hotels in Austin
“A Very Good Hotel in Austin, TX”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Close to everything downtown. The rooms are great for the price and the staff is very attentive. The morning breakfast on the 2nd floor has everything one would need to start their day. The happy hour at the end of the day was great as well. The front desk staff are very helpful and even arranged a shuttle to the airport for a large group of us at no charge. Clean, well-appointed and a great location -- walking distance to resturants, businesses and entertainment. Walking distance to the State Capital too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here over Easter weekend. Great downtown location. The kids enjoyed the heated swimming pool. Always appreciate the free breakfast -- nothing gourmet but always something for everyone. Our room was quiet and appeared to be recently renovated. The valet parking although pricey, allowed in and out privileges. Overall a very good stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The staff I met were unfriendly. My nonsmoking room/floor smelled of cigarette smoke. The shower curtain was stained. There was lots of noise due to ongoing construction. The only pluses about this hotel are the location and Le Crepe Cafe adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Jennifer T, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We appreciate your taking the time to write a review about your stay. We have addressed the issues in your room with our housekeepers and addressed the other issues with our staff. We hope that you will give another chance the next time you are in the Austin area.
Harrisburg, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location for walking the city but major construction is going on all around the hotel! The noise level during breakfast was ridiculous. Breakfast is standard fare: prepared omelettes, waffles, oatmeal, muffins, yogurt etc but is very well stocked throughout the service. Happy hour was a bit disappointing: 2 types of beer and 3 types of wine are offered but the munchies are just chips and nachos! We were expecting little hot nibbles, so to see chips and Cheetos was a shock. The room was fine but the bathroom floor was dirty and dusty in every corner. The towels are a bit thin for my taste. Our room had two full beds and two queens would have suited me better. The bed was a bit tight for me and my husband and we are not big people. Our teenage son had the other bed to himself -- perfect for one. I thought the room was a bit overpriced for the amenities, and that, coupled with the construction and sidewalk closings, made this hotel not a great place but just ok.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
merrick, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

i stayed at the downtown hampton inn for 6 nights, the week after the sxsw music festival - we were visiting family in the area. the location is the hotel's biggest attribute -nicely downtown, easy walking to 2nd and 6th street restaurants and shops, the river, and congress ave. the lobby, and 2nd floor lounge were very nice and comfortable. our room, king bed and chair, was more than adequate; however the cleanliness of the linens was inconsistent. on checking the pillows to see if they were feather or foam (i have allergies), some were stained and gross, and only covered by the pillowcase, no pillow protector. i called down to request 2 more foam pillows, but that took two days and a 2nd request to fill. the friendliness of the staff ranged from emotionless to quite helpful and wonderful. breakfast is included each day, but the eggs were pre-fab omelets, the covered dish with sausage or potatoes was lukewarm, and the oatmeal that i was so happy to find was nearly cold each morning, until i saw how to raise the heat on the crockpot. muffins and bagels were disappointing; the coffee was very good, but occasionally empty. the breakfast area was poorly understaffed, with one worker to refill food, coffee, utensils, as well as empty the trash cans. all in all, our stay was still quite good, serving the purpose, but quality control is lacking.

Room Tip: an east facing room will be preferable for the next several months, as there is construction of a ne...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer T, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping staff to prevent this from happening in the future. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider staying with us again.
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here for a conference. Running late, I brought a small 8 ounce container to put in several pieces of bacon and a small cheese omelette. I took several bowls in order to put in a cinnamon roll and cover it to prevent it spilling in the bag. When the GM saw this, he asked if I was a guest at the hotel and after I said yes, that should have been the end of it. But, in front of a room full of other hotel guests, he continued to question why I took so many bowls and that I wasn't using the breakfast tongs to pick up the cinnamon role which is a sanitary concern. After he got himself a breakfast, he continued to tell me that I shouldn't take food out of the breakfast room, and that there was "to go bags" at the front desk. When I went to the front desk to explain the situation, they didn't know what I meant about to go bags. It was a very strange encounter for a GM to say this to a guest. I am a doctor and was dressed in professional attire. I travel the world, and this was truly the oddest experience. An awful start to a day I was already running late with.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the construction out the window that woke me up every morning. Possibly, ask...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I loved everything except the $23 parking fee, but whatever. The staff was friendly & professional. The rooms were A+++. The breakfast in the morning was full of excellent choices. The hotel is walking distance to many restaurants including 2 immediately across the street. Because of construction in the front (and no, you do not here it in the hotel), it is hard to see where to pull up when you first arrive but just look for PF Changs on your left and the hotel is right there on the right. I stay in Austin a lot, and would definitely stay here again, but will look for a cheaper place close by to park my rentalcar.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown? Share your experiences!