“Wooooooooooo! Woooooooo! Chugga! Chugga!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11201 N. Mopac Expressway, Austin, TX 78759 (Northwest Austin)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #90 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“Wooooooooooo! Woooooooo! Chugga! Chugga!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

If you are lulled to sleep by the loud rumbling of trains, this is your place! If you want to sleep, not so much. There was a family having a BBQ out by the dumpster under our window late at night (the grill was still chained to it In the morning) and a uniformed police officer showed up in the lobby.

The one positive was that the bathroom was spotless.

Next time we will probably stay somewhere else. This place was just too weird.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ryan P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear CarryonBag78,

Thank you for leaving feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am very sorry that you had a weird experience at our hotel and were not provided with a quiet night's sleep. Our rooms do come equipped with noise reducing curtains and air conditioner bafflers to minimize the train noises.

I have looked into the grill in our parking lot, and we did recently have a group in house that hosted a small gathering and had grilled in our parking lot. I personally apologize if that disturbed you. If any of our guests had mentioned it to our staff, I can assure you we would immediately request the group to quiet down.

As for the uniformed Police officer in our lobby, we always welcome our local Police force to enjoy coffee in our lobby while they are on duty. So I am assuming that this is the reasoning you saw a uniformed Police officer.

I hope you will give us another chance, the next time you are in town. As I know you will find us less "weird".

Ryan D. Plain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We just recently spent the weekend (end of May) at this hotel to attend a graduation of a family member. Our daughter made the reservation for our convenience but had never stayed here herself, and we have never patronized Fairfield Inn. (& do not plan to return in the future)

So what was good? If you are a breakfast eater, the complimentary breakfast had a large variety of breakfast choices that seemed to satisfy most people. That is it.

Location - although situated in a popular area of NW Austin, it has to be the most awkward site for a hotel imaginable, It is located very close to the MoPAC ( Missouri Pacific) rail line, and Highway and the train and highway noise is apparent at times during the quiet of the evening. Access to the hotel is limited to the one-way highway service road and one is forced to make repeated circles to be able to travel in any direction.

Sleeping - our room was furnished with a king size bed and postage stamp sized pillows. Better pillows can be found at the Dollar Store - they were certainly not up to standard for a hotel that has Marriott in it's name. They were flat, gave no real support and looked silly on the large bed.
In addition, the sheets and mattress cover were ill fitting and did not stay properly in place if one moved slightly while sleeping. The room A/C unit is the same as those found in all motels without central heat or air. It sits under the window and blows air into the room. On the plus side, it was controlled by a thermostat on the wall, but the usual cycling on and off was annoying, and disturbing for sleeping even set on low fan speed.

So why did we stay for 3 nights? In order to obtain a supposedly highly discounted rate for the room, our daughter had to provide her credit card and prepay the total amount of charges in advance when she booked on- line. The restrictions were, no changes to the reservation, and cancellation would result in loosing the full amount of the prepayment. As it turns out, the entire amount was charged to our credit card when we checked out. ( double billed?) Even this simple transaction seemed botched as we were not expecting the charges on our credit card as our daughter had contacted the hotel and was advised by a staff member that we would not be charged. (She has notes on this conversation)

Although the staff seemed friendly and smiling, their training and experience is questionable after our experience. There are a number of competing hotels in this vicinity that would be worth investigating before deciding to stay at this Fairfield Inn.

Room Tip: Do not expect much.
Green Features: They supposedly have them such as re-using your towels - are you kidding?
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Aen45,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and letting us know about your stay.

I cant apologize enough for the experience you had at our hotel. Our number one priority is to provide our guests with a great nights sleep, and I am so sorry that you did not experience that. We are currently undergoing a full renovation, during which I can assure you we will be replacing all of our mattresses, pillows, blankets, and linens.

Our Advanced Purchase rates are offered to guests who book well in advance of their stay, and it is supposed to be beneficial for our guests with the discount and to pay in advance and not have to worry about payment once they arrive. Unfortunately, the experience you had was not ideal, and we will address this issue and retrain our staff on the policies of the Advance Purchase rates.

Again, I am so sorry for your experience and I hope that your will try a Fairfield Inn & Suites again the future and experience all that we are about.

North Richland Hills, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I wouldn't have stayed here due to the proximity to downtown (about 10 miles NW) but I had no choice. Everything was sold out and I had to pay ahead of time to get a room. Not sure if it was because it was Memorial Day weekend but I wanted to be closer to downtown and couldn't find anything else under $150/night that was available. I had a car and it didn't ruin my trip but the bed surely did. Crappy pillows and crappy mattress. It's my fault I should have asked for more pillows but it wouldn't have helped the mattress situation. My biggest complaint about this place is you can't see the entrance until it's almost too late. If you miss the entrance due to the tree overgrowth you will have to make a huge U-turn and go back to Braker Ln to start over. That being said, I will say that the front desk staff was very nice and spoke to us everytime we passed by through the lobby. The room was clean but the A/C was outrageously loud. It would wake me up when it cycled on and sounded like I was laying in a wind tunnel. For a basic stay, it's a good hotel, free parking, free Wi-Fi and free breakfast but that's it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Trip4AWeekend,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! Im glad we were able to accommodate your stay this past Memorial Day weekend. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your sleep here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest, it is one of our main priorities to provide our guests with an exceptional night's sleep. For that reason, this summer we will be replacing all of our mattresses throughout the hotel. We are also currently in discussion with our landscaping team to make our hotel more visible from the frontage road to ensure that our guests can see us prior to the driveway.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to host your stay next time you are in Austin, so you can see for yourself the improvements that we have made for our guests.

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Friendly front desk crew, basic accommodations. Fridge in room was a plus. Comfy bed and pillows. No HGTV or Food Network on the TV. Bathroom amenities were basic brands like Pantene and the soap was the cheapest hotel soap out there. For a basic stay it is fine. Free breakfast was ok. Coffee pretty good. Parking pretty decent, surface lot. Good location close to Domain and Arboretum. Overall nothing special but met my basic needs.

Room Tip: I didn't have any noise issues but my room faced Mo-Pac.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Ryan P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear ABCinATL,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. While I am glad that we met your basic needs, I am disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations. It our goal to impress each and every one of our guests with our friendly and attentive customer service and clean and comfortable rooms, and I am so sorry that we did not do that for you.

I hope that next time you are in Austin you will let us have the opportunity to go above and beyond average for you.

twilight_campfighter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Rooms very clean, staff was pleasant. A repairman came in to fix smoke alarm and staff was very polite when this happened. Wasn't an inconvenience to me at all at the time. Breakfast was pretty good for being free every morning! TV was great, internet worked good. Location was OK. You can't really walk to anywhere. It is really close to a mall and other things, but you will definitely need a car.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ryan P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear twighlight_campfighter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and had time to experience our daily full hot breakfast buffet, I hope you got to try our fresh scrambled eggs, as they are the best!

Yes, walking around our area isn't the easiest method to get around, but for that reason we offer a complimentary shuttle (Monday thru Friday from 7:30am- 8pm) that will go within a five mile radius of our hotel (that includes the Domain Shopping Center, along with many local restaurants and businesses).

I hope we have the opportunity to host your stay again next time you are in town!

CYPRESS, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We were in Austin for a car show and loved this hotel, everyone was so friendly, we asked the front desk clerk about a close place to eat, she not only made a suggestion, but gave us a certificate for a free appetizer at that place which was pleasantly unexpected by us. Our room was nice and clean and close to back exit so we didn't have to walk far to our car and the only partial complaint I would have is that the bed was not comfortable as our Serta IComfort bed at home, that was ok though, and by the way, we were on the even numbered side and had several trains come through last night and were not bothered at all, but my father was a railroad engineer and that sound reminds me of good memories of him, we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ryan P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
CYPRESS98,

Thank you for taking the time out to review the Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest! I hope you enjoyed your time at the car show. I am so glad you enjoyed our hotel and that our team was able to recommend a restaurant that you enjoyed. We have a great amount of restaurants in the local area, and we always love to recommend our favorites to our guests.

I hope we can host your stay again next time you are in the area!

Kolding, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Room was clean and at a decent standard. The breakfast was not very good.

When we checked in, the front office staff were very friendly. However, the following staff we meet were coming across as they did not want to be there. Like it was an issue or not their job to call for a taxi. Or really an issue if you asked for a receipt.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bjorn C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I cannot apologize enough that you were not impressed by our hotel, as we try our best to go above and beyond for each and every one of our guests. We pride ourselves on having the cleanest rooms and the friendliest of staff and I am disappointed that you did not feel that our staff was not the friendliest. I will address this with all of our staff members to ensure that we achieve our goals of making all of our guests feel welcome in the future.

I hope you will give us another chance next time you are in town.

Ryan D. Plain

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum? Share your experiences!