“Overall a very good property_but hot water issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum

Save Saved
You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11201 N. Mopac Expressway, Austin, TX 78759 (Northwest Austin)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #89 of 184 hotels in Austin
North Royalton, Ohio
“Overall a very good property_but hot water issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

All very nice features. Good variety at breakfast. Had live music (guitar player) at happy hour at night.
Everything else at or above Fairfield standards.
Only major issue was limited hot water at peak shower times. I had two other colleagues with me and we all experienced the same thing when getting ready in the morning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
John D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear WilliamOH_13,

Thank you for staying with us in Austin at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Northwest.

We appreciate the good marks and the feedback. Our Wednesday night reception is a great way to relax and get refreshed to make it through the rest of the week and it wouldn't be Austin without a little live music.

We have definitely pinpointed the problem with the hot water and the issue is greatly improved based on the solutions that we have done. We are making sure that we don't continue to have any lingering challenges.

We hope to see you again soon.

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were in Austin to visit family. We decided on the Fairfield as they had suites and we were there for 4 days. The price was excellent but we were not prepared for how nice they were. Being on MoPac it was very easy to get to the kids house and anywhere else we wanted to go. It was immediately in front of "The Domain" which is very interesting.
The suite although there was no door between the two spaces of sleeping and living was very well set out.

There was a fridge and Microwave well placed in a non obtrusive location, The living area had a couch and easy chair and desk with lots of outlets to plug in computers, cell phones, play books etc.

Breakfast was very good with eggs and bacon and all sorts of other goodies.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and always acknowledged us when we entered and exited the hotel. The location was marvellous and it helped us find our way around Austin. We went to the Aboretum and as the store was closed were able to jump onto another highway and go over to Round Rock.

We would stay at the hotel again any time and would highly recommend it especially if you are staying for more than a night the suite price is very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BridgetD710,

Thank you for being a top contributor on TripAdvisor. We were very pleased to see your generous feedback on our hotel especially knowing that you are a very seasoned traveler.

You pointed out our great location which is in a very convenient spot in northwest Austin very close to great shopping at the Domain and Arboretum.

We also appreciate the recognition for our friendly team members and they are definitely here to give you the most relaxing and comfortable stay possible.

Please stay with us again when in Austin visiting your family, we look forward to serving you soon.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Every person at this Marriott had the highest degree of professionalism and friendliness. The Wednesday evening happy hour was an unexpected bonus. Great jazz musician. The breakfasts and servers are above the Fairfield standards. The front desk staff were always friendly and very helpful to our group. Even the people in the laundry were singing and happy. Great location for accessing the Domain Shopping Center (Lots of great restaurants and happy and reverse happy hours). Great king suites. Very clean. Hadn't experienced the train till this time. Once at night. Once in the morning. About a minute long. Sleep with the fan on or ask for a front side room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
John D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear smmjuw,

Thank you for staying with us here at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Austin Northwest. We appreciate you taking the time to post such a great review for our hotel on TripAdvisor.

You had great timing to be here on a Wednesday night and that is always a highlight for our hotel. Since Austin is the Live Music Capital of the World, we like to play our very small part in showcasing a local musician every Wednesday evening for a few hours. Its a great way to enjoy a little food, drink and good music - all complimentary!

Thanks again for such great marks and very generous comments and we hope that you will come back to see us in Austin soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

For A Fairfield Inn It's better than most. I was given a noisy room. Front Desk said the last one left. Hotel didn't look full. I had a friend call to ask about availability. Same desk clerk said 70%.
But the rooms were super and better than higher star ones in the area. Location is great.

Room Tip: Give your room preference in advance
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
John D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear rd400,

Thank you for being a senior contributor on TripAdvisor. We know that you travel quite a bit and we are appreciative of your feedback.

I am very apologetic if you felt that our front desk associate was not forthcoming for a different room location. I have shared your review with our team and I can assure you that we will not have that same response in the future. If we can move you to a room of your choice, we are always happy to accommodate that request.

Our hotel has been much busier this year and we expect to continue to be at very high occupancies. As you noted, we are in a great location next to the Domain which is really considered the hottest spot in all of Austin for the best restaurants and shopping. The Arboretum is also close by and it continues to be a fantastic area as well for the same reasons.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Killeen Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

In reference to Marriot Austin on Mopac, this story is much longer and detailed but to sum it up, here it is. Fyi-Marriot Austin is rude. We checked in tonight after reserving a room using our military discount. Our front desk clerk, Dianna, informed my 13 yr old daughter and I we couldn't use our military discount, even with our active duty ID. I quote "your husband works for the government, not you. You arent entitled to his perks". I explained he would be here tomorrow, she wouldnt budge, even with my daughter crying at the counter. Then she turns to the other employee next to her and starts speaking spanish and laughing. I insisted she call her manager, which she did, and the manager allowed our discount. My daughter was crying by this time even more and because all the hotels in the area are full, we had to stay. I always stay in Marriot but will not again and will continue to spread my story. This is a beautiful hotel but after being treated like dirt by this woman, its the ugliest place I've ever been!!
I just familiarized myself with Marriots military policy and the discount is not available to dependents. Regardless, the woman was completely rude to my child and I and my husband reserved the room and due to obligations was unable to arrive until the next day. I do understand policy and if it had been presented in a reasonable fashion, I would have been fine with paying the extra this one night until my husband came with his ID the following night.
It should also be noted that it is past midnight and I'm in my room writing this, unable to sleep. The front desk upset me so much, I've now wasted money on a room to lay awake

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Felica,

Thank you for staying with us at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Northwest Austin. I was very disappointed to read your review.

I am the new general manager and one of the most important tasks that I will have is to assess our service levels and make any necessary improvements. I can promise you that we will have only the very friendliest and helpful team members at this hotel moving forward.

I appreciate that you felt our hotel was beautiful from a physical standpoint and we will ensure that it is that way from the inside out.

General manager
San Jose, California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First all-the staff on-site was very nice. The fitness facility was a joke. If the place can really hold 15 people-in the capacity of working out-then someone is living in the land of Gulliver.. If you do not like the loud noise of trains coming by -you need to get another spot to live in. The trains did not bother me at all-but I can see where the noise would be an issue.
The hotel is next to Arbor and THE DOMAIN, many shops, some food places, BJ's had a friendly staff and good food. If you are a gamer-the TV was very accessible and easier to operate than many of the Marriott's with that weird "box" they have outside the television as an access point. There is no room service-but a comparable "waiters on wheels" company they use for on-site meals. I did not use this, so I cannot comment. I saved time just going to eat at the WESTIN or BJ's, or many other spots nearby.

Room Tip: Are there any rooms that do not suffer train noise?
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear USAF9599,

Thank you for being a senior reviewer on Tripadvisor. We also greatly appreciate your business and for taking the time to review our hotel here in Austin.

As you pointed out, there is a train track that runs behind the hotel. The interesting thing to note is that there are many days and nights when there are not frequent trains running. As you also noted, many of our guests are not affected by the trains since they do not blow any signal horns since there are no crossings close to our hotel. It is impossible for us to predict or be able to communicate to our guests the schedule of when the trains do come through.

To answer your question, the rooms with odd ending numbers would be the quieter choice. Of course, those rooms are most popular so it is always best to request that side when you are making reservations.

Thanks for offering the location highlights of our area and your recommendations of the Arbor and the Domain are both awesome.

METAIRIE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beware that the building is located less than 150ft from a railroad track that has speeding freight trains traveling on it all day and all night. When I checked in, I didn't realize that they put me on that side of the building. Unfortunately I realized it that night when I was awakened 5 times in the middle of the night by speeding freight trains carrying coal cars. I had very little sleep and was a wreck the next day in my business meetings. When I returned to the hotel the next afternoon, I asked to be moved to a room on the other side of the building. It took them 2-hours to prepare another room for me, and I had to repack everything I unpacked the day before, but the room directly across the hallway had no railroad noise (or not enough to wake me up).

The hotel is nice otherwise. It is perhaps a bit overpriced compared to comparable places, but I guess they are charging more because the are right next to The Domain and even have a shuttle van to take you to/from there.

It's location on the Mopac service road gives easy access to Mopac, but you have to make 1 or 2 weird U-turns to get on Mopac from the hotel, and you have to take an exit on Mopac that is almost a mile away from the hotel. I missed this exit once and had to go several miles to get back to it.

I was actually going to stay here again for a trip next month (and request the quiet side of the building), but their rates went up by $40/night from what I paid 1-month ago. So forget about paying that price for this place. What a disappointment!

Room Tip: not the railroad side of the building!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/Arboretum? Share your experiences!