“Smoke and a cockroach” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #115 of 183 hotels in Austin
Arvada, Colorado
“Smoke and a cockroach”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Normally stay in downtown Austin. Due to SXSW, this was the closest I could find.This hotel is poorly designed, poorly located, poorly managed. Location didn't pull up on GPS. Called hotel and clerk couldn't give me directions from the airport or even cross streets. Floors have smoking and non-smoking on opposite ends: too bad the smoke doesn't know which end it's supposed to "stay" on. Elevators are slow, dirty and noisy. Pet policy is a pain. Dog barking in room across the hall all night. Took management more than 2.5 hours to come and talk to owner. Cockroaches (1 in kitchenette each morning) were quiet and well-behaved.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I apologize that you had difficulties finding our location. I will be training our staff to ensure they are able to provide assistance in locating our hotel in the future. As well, I am sorry to hear that you experienced issues with smoke in your room, neighboring dogs and our elevator. I will be meeting with our staff to ensure these problems don't continue in the future. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at asw@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

this place is a dump, no hot water, paper thin walls, guy next to me up till 3am yelling at wife. no shampoo, grab and go breakfast was awful, hard to find road to this place as there were no signs where to turn had to go around block twice, heard to same thing from other guests, one guy had to go around 3 times. Not a nice place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
William – Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you experienced issues with your hot water and noise from neighboring guests. As well, I apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Finally, I am sorry that you had difficulties finding our location. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at asw@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in town.
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Convenient to freeway access. Get a room on the side away from the road. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. The disengaged staff didn't care that: it took 30 minutes to check-in at 3:00 in the afternoon; the phone didn't work; there was ridiculous noise from other guests. I stayed there two nights. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Teresa – I received a copy of your review and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am glad that you enjoyed our location and your clean, comfortable room. Still, I am disappointed to hear that your check-in took so long. Please accept my apology. I am sorry that you had issues with your phone and loud neighboring guests. As well, I apologize that our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. Your feedback will be useful as we continue to improve our guest experience. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at asw@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you’re in town.
Richardson, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Very responsive staff, starting with the manager guiding me in by phone to actually GET to the hotel as it is located at a rather confusing intersection of several major highways. Once you figure out how to navigate to and from the place (look for unmarked driveway off Mopac frontage road eastbound), actual location is very handy, and also surprisingly quiet for being near so much traffic. Nice bedroom/kitchen setup. Place looked like it had been recently renovated. Compared to other hotels in area, priced rather economically (and I spent some time on the web doing comparison by hotel sites). Stayed only two nights, but plan to stay there longer the next time I visit Austin. Hallway did smell a little smokey at different times, but room itself did not.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad that I was able to get you to the hotel since it is so difficult to find. I'm sorry to hear that we didn't mention that we have shampoo at the front desk and I will l coach my team to remember to tell our guests about available toiletries at check in.

Lake Jackson, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We came up late on a Friday to avoid a 200 mile morning drive in our dress clothes for a Saturday morning wedding. The hotel was only 4 miles from our destination and the location is really good. We booked through Priceline and were able to stay for less than half the rack rate....so far so good. We did not have problems finding the hotel like others have had. It is not directly on the feeder, but there is a small turn in that has an arrow facing outward.....it looks deceptively like a one way arrow, but it is not. If you miss this turn in, you will have about a three mile turnaround process by having to go to the next light and u-turning and then doing it again. Be sure to look very closely for the turn in to avoid that problem.

The hotel is kept up fairly well and the parking lot was full.....the result of better than average rates. We arrived a little after 11:00 p.m. and had to settle for a smoking room which the frazzled front desk clerk said was the last they had. I found out that the front desk clerk has several different duties that take him away from the front......he even helps with housekeeping preps and laundry. He promised us that he only had smoking rooms left.....which put a quick damper on things. We drove to the back and got into a back door which did not have handle. A sign apologized for the broken door handle, but we ended up pulling the screw sticking out to get in.
They had a luggage cart which was helpful to get our things to the room.

The good news about Room 404 was that it was very clean. It had a full kitchen with dishes and a stove. The flat screen TV had free Showtime. The bed was only a queen size, but it was comfortable. I wish hotels would stop using the half sized pillows and bring back the full sized. The free Internet worked very well. Plugs were easy to find. The wall air conditioner kept the room comfortable.

The problems with the room were few, but pretty big issues. The smoking room lived up to its name. It was extremely smoky and immediately stopped us up and reddened our eyes. We never really got used to it. We tried to open the windows a little and it did not help. We were really disappointed with the smoking room and wish the hotel had a little better system to refresh the rooms. The water pressure was below average and the water temperature never really got hot....it was not cold by any means, but my wife's shower with a shut door yielded no steam on the mirror. We bought our own toiletries, but had to go buy a hair dryer.....there are none in the rooms.

I don't know if this hotel advertises a free breakfast, but if the do, it is misleading. They offer coffee and hot water in three stands with sugar, cream, hot chocolate mix and Quaker oatmeal packets. In the cabinet are boxes of packaged muffins and granola bars. Better than nothing, but not even a continental style breakfast which is typically the minimum fare at a :free breakfast" hotel.

It is not really fair to complain at certain price levels. We would stay here again at a Priceline rate.....but only in a non smoking room.

Room Tip: Call ahead and see if you can be assigned a non-smoking room if that is important to you.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I sincerely apologize that you were checked into a smoking room, we were completely full. If we had any availability, we would have happily put you in a non smoking room. Going forward, we will make a point in calling the guests when we run out of certain room types. Still, I am pleased you found our fully equipped kitchen and flat screen television to be an added value.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I was pleased to see that you were able to find us without any difficulties, in addition to you seeing how clean we keep our rooms. We do try to do our best. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at asw@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

First time stay last minute business booking. Needless to say it's a place to sleep. I booked a non smoking room, but upon check in was told there are no more non smoking rooms. "If it smells too bad then we can spray the room down with more Frabreeze"... The room was tolarable then I discovered no shampoo is provided. Oh well luckily I always pack some. The AC worked well and the room was clean upon checkin aside the tobacco smells. It was for the most part a quite place had no other real issues.

• Stayed August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It was disheartening to read that we were unable to provide you with a non smoking room. We do our best to accommodate guest room type request, I apologize we fell short. However, I am so pleased that you thought your room was clean and the AC worked well. Being the General Manager I always inspect my rooms before renting them.

Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed here during my little over-a-week-long business trip.. booked this hotel due to its proximity to my work place.. it was very tough to get to this place from the airport.. while I was on 290W, suddenly my GPS screamed, 'you have arrived at your destination'.. I had no clue where this place was.. inquired at couple of gas stations.. nope.. they didn't have a clue about this hotel.. finally a local old man said.. 'it must be somewhere close to southwest parkway.. well.. after few circles, I found the place.. Checkin was a breeze.. very friendly people at reception and good customer service too.. free wifi
No regrets on the choice due to location.. almost every restaurant or department store (Walmart, Target etc..) are just under 2m radius..

for the price.. you got to be satisfied with a very light (literally) breakfast.. Oats + coffee + apple or muffin or to-go-cereal bar. you got to be early else these may get over..

biggest dampener was the room - very old mattress, linens and room is cleaned only once a week..this need to change.. at least for health reasons.

TV - a no frills channel list.. no HBO or any other big time movie channels.. just the essentials.. a bit boring..

But for the location, nothing great about the room/hotel.

Room Tip: Stay here if you don't need anything 'extra' and just the simple essentials..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding my staff. I do apologize for the mattress and the simplistic breakfast, that is why we call it a 'Grab & Go'.I would like to apologize that our housekeeping policies were not explained upon check-in. I have shared your comments with our staff to ensure that every guest is aware of our housekeeping policies at check in. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to better your experience with us in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest? Share your experiences!