“Poor maid service ruined possibly good stay” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #126 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Duncanville, Texas
“Poor maid service ruined possibly good stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

After reviewing the glowing comments about this property, I was optomistic about having a wonderful stay in a clean room. Check in had its troubles. I had called in and spoke with James about changing my reservation from a T/W to a M/T stay. Upon checking in, James was working the counter and never made the change in my reservation, nor did he have my discounted room rate. He had to call the manager to get the rates honored (luckily I had a print out of the reservation). The room appeared renovated with fresh paint and ammenities. My first discovery was thad the coffee pot was dirty and no coffee or cream and been restocked. I reported this to the front desk and got a clean pot and coffee/cream packets.
My biggest shock was to discover that the bathroom floor nor the kitchen floor had been swept. I wiped a wet tissue on the floor and came up with a wad of hair (see photo). I reported this to the front desk who sent a maid to wipe and sweep the floor. She had a pile in the dust pan when finished.
I was getting nervous now, so just to be on the safe side, I check my bed and looked in between the sheets. What did a find...a long dark hair. I hoped that the maid lost it while making up the bed vs. having not changed the sheets at all, and threw it away (see photo).
The room was dusty overall - furniture, tv stand, etc. The dishes in the cabinet were also dirty. I pulled 2 coffee cups out and one plastic glass, and all 3 either had hair or food on them. (Customers wash their own dishes - no dish washer.)
The second night, the cover to the AC unit would not stay on, causing a loud rattle every time it came one. I propped a chair against it, which did the trick, and reported the problem to the front desk when I checked out.
The grab and go breakfast was ok for what it was. The first morning the front desk clerk was too busy filling in the absentee maintenance man to keep it stocked during the rush. The second morning they had only 1 of 3 flavored oatmeals that had been offered the day before.
Construction workers were over head which made for a lot of stomping and boot throwing.

Even the manager said that the room was "nasty". The maid that had cleaned the room was "in training". I can't imagine why someone wouldn't sweep the floor, even if they were in training.
This would have been a much more enjoyable stay as the room been properly cleaned.

On a positive note, the beds were soft, which is unusual in a motel. The shower was had good pressure and the bottom provided good traction. The towels were a little rough, but I've had worse. The kitchen sink had a water filter on it which I've never seen. Water from it was great.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 4th floor to avoid noise above you. Locate on side away from highway (probably an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Cindy - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am disheartened to read that the level of cleanliness in your room was not in-line with our company's standards. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I am reviewing our cleanliness guidelines with the housekeeping staff and coaching the entire staff on how to perform proper inspections.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at asw@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cheyenne, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

First, the most frustrating part of the stay -- finding the hotel. My GPS (TomTom) did not even acknowledge that the address (5100 US 290 W) existed. The hotel is off US 290, on a west-bound one-way frontage road, not readily visible from the highway. On our third call to the hotel desk, we finally figured out how to get there. Like I said, frustrating. And the directions on the web site (given from downtown Austin) were not terribly helpful, since we were coming from the south (San Antonio) and not downtown Austin. After we finally arrived, all went pretty well. Lisa and James greeted us warmly. Check-in was painless. The accomodations were fine. Lots of positives for the room. The kitchenette was well stocked with pots, pans and dinner ware. A Culligan water purifier on the kitchenette sink faucet. A textured (non-skid) floor on the tub/shower and good water pressure. Internet access was fine. Comfortable bed and furniture. We slept well. If we were going to stay for some time, we'd be out shopping for breakfast items right away the night we arrived. This was our first experience with an Extended Stay America, so we were disappointed to find the "Grab and Go" breakfast was just that -- no hot items, just health bars, apples, and a selection of instant oatmeal packages. (I do have to admit that the cost of the room was a bargain relative to those extended stay places that do provide a hot breakfast.) Overall, now that we know how to find it, and knowing in advance of the limited breakfast items, we could see staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that you had difficulty finding the hotel. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are going to give future guest directions to our hotel when they make the reservation. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please feel free to contact me directly, at asw@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
twilight_campfighter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I go to Austin every year for SXSW. I always stay outside of downtown because I book last minute. In 2011, I rented someone's apartment instead of a hotel and that wasn't so great. Cheap but not great. This year, I got lucky and got this extended stay for a super great price. Someone said its the nicest Extended Stay they've ever been in and I agree. I've stayed in a few of them. I've always said that they're good for me when I travel or business on my own but this one was so nice, I would have no problem staying here with my girlfriend. Everything was very clean and new. The only negative thing I can say is that it's tricky to get to. Your gps or map service on your phone might not get you directly there. I am really good with maps and I figured it out but if you're geographically challenged, you might want to call the hotel and ask for specific directions. It's not hidden at all, it's just located directly where two highways meet and if you're heading west to get there, you have to take an exit that seems too early. That's it. Other than that... Great place to stay for a super cheap price and once you know how to get there, downtown is maybe 10-15 minutes away.

• Stayed March 2013
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you feel my hotel is one of the nicest Extended Stay's. I will share this with my staff. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Bowie, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in order to attend a family wedding and to be with our family members in Austin, Texas. We found check-in and check-out very convenient. The staff was very friendly and very courteous and we found our room very comfortable. We were also able to take our small dog with us which saved on our expenses. We also found the place very convenient to eating places, very convenient to Mopack Loop 1 and Hwy 290, and convenient to Walmart and super-markets. We also found the entire staff to be very helpful, especially James, who helped us check in. We had a large refrigerator in our room, dishes which were needed for meals and also had a microwave and electric coffee pot. We also had free breakfast which was very nice. This would be a great place for extended stays for families or individuals.

Room Tip: 4th floor was very quiet and bathroom and kitchen were very clean and also were able to bring our la...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Due to a Family emergency we needed to be in Austin for an extended period. The staff, Lisa, Cris and Trish treated us like family. It's a great place to stay in the Austin area and we will be back for future stays.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are similar with bedroom and kitchenette.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. It's great to hear that we made you feel at home with us. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here for over three months recently waiting to move into my new home after relocating to Austin. Attentive, responsive, friendly staff down to the housekeeping staff. Clean, quiet and conveniently located to restaurants, malls, Mopac/Loop One, HWY 290, theaters, Walmart, Target, supermarkets, etc. Facility and grounds are well maintained and always see someone cleaning the facility, even regularly dusting the chairs in the lobby area. The facility allows pets but never saw any debris on the outside nor detect a smell in the hotel. Continental breakfast always replenished. Comfortable beds. Wished they had a small fitness area however. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Though never heard any noise from HWY 290 or Mopac, I would suggest requesting a room on the back si...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that we made you feel welcome at our hotel, please think of us as 'your home away from home'. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed here for a month just before Christmas, and it was a perfect base for doing business. You never had to worry about the Internet crapping out or the breakfast not being out on time. Every time you turned around, someone was cleaning, and the location was surprisingly quiet for being so close to Mopac. All in all, great experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter in terms of room noise, plus sometimes there are deer the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you appreciate how hard my staff works. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest? Share your experiences!