“Authentic French Bistro” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #76 of 3,123 restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: French, Bistro
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We have traveled extensively in France, and Artisan Bistro (located in the suburban community of Lakeway) is as good or better than most of the restaurants we visited in France! The regular menu changes seasonally and is supplemented by daily specials. The thoughtfully edited list of French wines served offers appealing selections at various price points. Service is friendly and personal. The owner/chef at Artisan Bistro is a classically trained pastry chef, so the baked goods from breads to pastries are out of this world -- worth a visit in their own right! This is a real "find." We hope you'll include it in your Austin reviews.
Austin, Texas
“Authentic French Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very authentic French bistro right here in Lakeway. We have dined in for lunch once, then picked up lunches several times. On our first visit, I tried the Duck Confit (which I don't think I've had more than once or twice in my life, but it came highly recommended by the waitress) and it did not disappoint. It was simply delicious. My husband had the ham, butter and conte cheese sandwich and I fell in love with it. Not much of a sandwich person but now I have to have one of these every week or so. The French bread is crusty and so delicious and is well-complemented by the ham and cheese. Love it! Their menu looks great and I want to try other things, I do. And I will. They also have a gorgeous selection of pastries from which to choose. My husband prefers the pain au chocolat and I always get the chocolate almond croissant.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

94% Recommend
Phoenix, Arizona
“As good as most in Provence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

First we had a basket of assorted crusty breads which were served with butter, then we shared a house salad...great! The main course which we also shared was a white bean cassoulet which also contained generous portions of ham, sausage, and a whole duck leg. The entire dish was covered with bread crumbs and baked to crispy perfection. I meant the headline...I never had a better meal while travelling in France. Austin is lucky to have this talented chef here.

Visited December 2012
Lake Jackson, Texas
“Artisan Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Very good French food with very good service. Wine list is almost totally French but good buys of medium prices French wines.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

On our first, and likely last, visit to Artisan Bistro we anticipated an above average experience. True, the restaurant is nice, not too large and room between tables. The decor is above average for a strip center location.
I had studied the menu on line and was set to order the medallions of pork. Our dinner friends we also ready, having visited the restaurant before. I placed my order with the waitress, who was congenial and efficient. Our friend was told that they were out of his selected entree. He selected medallions of pork as an alternate. When the food arrived he and I each had a large blackened piece of meat with a huge bone. Pork medallions? I think not. Not one word of explanation from our waitress. When called back to the table, she explained that they were out of pork medallions, and said "I thought I told you, I have told everyone else." At the time there were only 4 tables occupied, so the "everyone else" was a total of 8 patrons.
For a restaurant trying to establish itself as one of the top French restaurants in the area it seems inexcusable to:
1) be out of at least two entree items at 5:30 on a Friday night;
2) substitute ordered selections without first consulting with customers.
The entree we received did seem to be pork, but was only fair. The cherries served with the meat turned out to be grapes. (Yes, out of cherries, too.)
We were very disappointed with our experience. There are too many good restaurants closer than Lakeway to warrant a second trip to Artisan Bistro.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Carson City, Nevada
“Great Dinner at Artisan Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We found a place in Texas that wasn't pork and barbeque? YES!! An amazing French Bistro! The waiters seem as if they are your friends wanting to share all of their great food. The seafood was delicately prepared and the salads were hearty with robust flavor. We never felt pressured or rushed, so therefore, it was a completely enjoyable evening with like-minded people.

• Visited September 2012