“Door lock was broken, management was poor” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Studio 6 Austin Midtown

and 1 more site!
You added Studio 6 Austin Midtown to your Saves list
Studio 6 Austin Midtown
6603 N Interstate 35, -35 at US Route 290/FM 2222, Austin, TX 78752 (St. Johns)   |
Ranked #154 of 187 Hotels in Austin
San Antonio, Texas
“Door lock was broken, management was poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I've stayed at other Studio 6's, this has to be the worst. The manager was lounging at his apartment when I arrived at 8PM and responded to the courtesy phone by asking "Jess" if he had "brought the stuff." I wasn't Jess and I certainly hadn't brought him anything. My non-smoking hotel room smelled like cigarette smoke covered with Lysol and there were burn marks on the sink from cigarettes. I have asthma connected specifically to cigarettes, so this was a serious problem. I tried contacting the manager to change my room, but he did not respond. When I tried to leave to pick up a colleague at the airport, I found that the door would not lock properly--the deadbolt was no longer connected to the lever. It took me thirty minutes to get the door closed--and when I got back, it took me another thirty minutes to get back in, despite having the key card. The door did not lock properly through the night. I may never stay at another Studio 6 as long as I live...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Buellton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was looking forward to this Studio 6 from past stays at them. It's tucked back in from the hiway and next to 3 real nice restaurants. The check in staff were fine and I was warned that the office is closed from 10pm on.! Use the phone outside if you have a key problem. Went to the room and was quite let down by the overall condition. Poor carpet, wear slippers everywhere. Just looked and felt used and in need of a remodel. The wife was not pleased. Hangers were locked into a space 9 inches long on a 5' pole on open closet, weird. We now always take sani wipes for the plane and motel rooms and we used 3 or 4 here. Not terrible but a big letdown from the Studio 6 in San Antonio Airport. and Flagstaff Az. area.

Room Tip: You might want to take key to see room first.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I called the front desk from long-distance before I arrived. The employee's attitude was a red flag; he was clearly not interested in being helpful. I asked for a quiet room if possible. He said "nothing can be done until you arrive." I called the central reservations number for Studio 6 and was told the employee at the motel should have told me he would make a note that I wanted a quiet room on the top floor. I then called an employee from the other Studio 6 in Austin. He told me that two people had (separately) come to that Studio 6 from Studio 6 midtown without even checking in because of the attitude of the employee on duty. I had heard enough. When I called the central reservations to cancel, I mentioned the problems. I was told that no complaint "could be made" unless i agreed to be transferred to another department to repeat what I had said. I am soooo glad that I cancelled. My gut feeling was right on.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed here for a week while between apartments. The add online says it costs $119 a week. I ended up paying $270 bucks after all said and done. You have to PAY for your internet here! They don't tell you that till you get here! Then... The internet really sucked bad! I could hardly do my yahoo mail ! You also have to pay extra for room cleaning and maid service. It's bull crap and false advertising ! I will not be back.

Room Tip: Go to a differnet place. The extra charges are not worth it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Our first day here we had to switch rooms because the wireless connection didn't work; there was also a half-dead roach twitching in the bathroom, and several smaller dead ones under the kitchen sink. Also, consider yourself lucky if you get an English speaking housekeeper, because the majority of them speak Spanish and understand very little English.

I stayed here for over a month because I moved here to TX and needed a temp place to live while I looked for work and an apartment, and this was the cheapest place that also accepted dogs. The front desk is slow, and the housekeeping service is lazy.

During my last week here the front desk called to tell me that housekeeping made a complaint that I wasn't letting them into the room to clean, and they had to inspect the condition of the room. The main reason I'm making this review is because of that. It irks me to hear that housekeeping is complaining about ME when I need to ask them to vacuum every week otherwise they won't; they wont even clean the bathroom because I keep my dog in there because they're afraid of dogs. And when they mop the kitchen floor they don't even bother with sweeping and moping under the table, and with kids, it's gets pretty messy under there.

Definitely NOT staying here again or recommending it to anyone else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011 via mobile

My husbands company booked us there because he had to work in Austin for a week but when we arrived with confirmation number in hand they said the room hadn't been confirmed and we had no reservation. It was midnight when we arrived from out of town and after 30 minutes of speaking with the manager on duty, he finally said he wood give us a room but my husband had to pay cash for a room that was already paid for by his company. We did just so we could get our little girls in bed but when we got yo the room the air didn't work and there was only one bed. My husband went to speak with the manager again but he had gone and the night clerk said he could't move us because we had only reserved a room wirh one bed. We made due with the room for the night but needless to say we moved first thing the next day. Also, with all the free wifi spots in Austin the hotel wants you to pay $5.00 to use theirs. Not very accommodating to business travelers. Maybe it is because we arrived late at night but there where very suspicious looking " ladies of the night" walking around the complex as well. Not good.

• Stayed June 2011
Galena, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

Stayed here in June and although it was a bit rundown and the other guests seemed a bit sketchy, it wasn't too dirty. It was the most affordable place I found and I stayed for a week while visiting my boyfriend who lives in Austin and I cooked meals in the room. Only problems were noisy guests and poor laundry facilities. We decided when I flew down for my next stay in September that we would stay there again. BIG MISTAKE!

Our next stay was awful. It started with the refrigerator leaking on our left over food the first night and after I ate the food I couldn't stop throwing up. These were leftovers that had not make us sick until being in the fridge. Only I ate the leftovers that had been leaked on and I got very sick. The front desk took 3 days to send a repair man. The shower facet was coming out of the wall and it was hard to turn on. When we checked in I found a dead roach in the bathroom and one in the dresser drawer. I was grossed out but had already paid for a week and was hoping that since they were dead that was a good sign. Well, there were many more roaches and all alive! There were 12 live ones that I witnessed including one that tormented me by camping out in the alarm clock and waving it's antenna at me! When my bf got back he took the entire clock and put it in a trash bag on top of the refrigerator. There was a roach that came out of the stove and one that chased me in the bathroom and one by the light switch. They were EVERYWHERE! it took them 2 days to address this problem and the man came in and sprayed this horrible "citrus" smelling stuff that made me feel sick the rest of our stay. He also cheerfully told me that spraying was going to chase them out of hiding for the next day or two, which it did! There were two guys that partied on the curb outside my door every night til 3 am too. At check out many other guests were complaining and the staff blew them off and acted like that was a daily thing, which no doubt it is! Do not stay here unless you care to bring home roaches in your suitcase!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Studio 6 Austin Midtown? Share your experiences!