“New Style Rooms (Good) - Tepid Shower (Not So Good)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Austin Central - North

You added Motel 6 Austin Central - North to your Saves list
Motel 6 Austin Central - North
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   8010 N. Interstate 35, I-35 at Exits #240-A/241, Austin, TX 78753   |
Ranked #160 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Rowlett, Texas
“New Style Rooms (Good) - Tepid Shower (Not So Good)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stay at Motel 6 from time to time when all I need is a place to sleep and don't want to spend money on extras that I won't need. This was one of those nights - arriving around 1:00am, had to get up around 5:45am - just wanted to crash for a few hours. This motel provided an average Motel 6 experience - some parts good, some not so good.

The good:

Rooms are updated to the new Motel 6 neo-modern standard and are surprisingly nice, although still spartan. There's a wall-mounted flat screen TV, a decent work table attached to the wall by the bed, with a little ledge, and a corner mini-couch (for want of a better way to describe it). The bathroom had an updated sink; the tub/shower combination was standard Motel 6 with a water-flow restricted shower head. The room and bathroom were also very clean . Overall - not bad for the price.

The location is convenient - off of I-35, near the exit that cuts over to the airport, which is about 15-20 minutes away. (Note - there are a number of Motel 6's along this stretch of highway, so if you make a reservation, be sure you know which is which.)

The not so good:

The motel is near I-35 and the highway traffic can be heard in the room - or at least in my room, which was near the front of the motel. Rooms near the rear may be a bit more quiet. The noise didn't bother me, but I mention it in for those who may be sensitive to such things.

The shower delivered an anemic stream of water, courtesy of the flow-restricted shower head, but, worse, the water never got more than lukewarm. After a while, it warmed up a little, but even at full blast it was marginally tolerable for those of us who like a robust, hot shower. I don't know if this is typical or if there was some problem this morning with the water, but I rarely run into water problems at Motel 6's, so this was a bit of a surprise.

Bottom line: You get what you pay for. This was basic, standard-issue Motel 6 - some good, some not so good.

Be aware: There are quite a number of Motel 6's in Austin, and the prices vary widely - as much as $20/night or more. I don't know why that is, but it is something to be aware of; seems to me it doesn't make sense to overpay for a Motel 6 room, and with that price difference, it may be worth picking a cheaper one even if it means being a bit out of your way. There was one Motel 6 closer to the airport (my ultimate destination) but it was $20 more a night, and it was perhaps 10 minutes closer. I opted to save the money.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back, away from the highway, may be quieter. AARP members get a discount plus free wi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Gunnison, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The first deal breaker was the smoky smell of our non-smoking room - it wasn't evident at first so I'm guessing there's bad vents or something. The second deal breaker was crap wireless internet - it worked fine until someone else signed on using the same (one-day) code and sometimes it seemed it dropped you just because. I had to resign in about every five minutes. I did like the modern clean feel of the room - Motel 6s across the nation seem to be taking this approach. Giant bed - reasonably comfortable. There was cable TV, a fridge, a microwave - no coffee maker. The light-with-a-vent in the bathroom was super loud.The front desk staff was a little over the top but they were definitely friendly and motivated. The hotel - possibly the whole Motel 6 chain - has a terrific cancellation policy (up until check in day) and were great to work with insofar as changing reservation dates.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was just passing through for a night and needed a place to plop down for a few hours before a very early flight the next morning. I normally stay at budget motels like Motel 6 because I'm not picky and prefer to save a few bucks, especially in a case like this. When I checked in, I was not asked my smoking preference (non), but I was given a smoking room. Not a big deal, but I know others are very sensitive. There were burn marks on the bedspread and flor. The room was remodeled in the new contemporary look, with fake hardwood floors, a flat screen TV, and updated vanity with raised sink. I liked the look. The worst part came when I tried to take a shower and there was a leak where the showerhead screwed in, resulting in very little water actually coming out and it was not at all adequate for a shower. When I called the front desk to schedule the oh-so-early wake-up call, I let them know and I was told they'd put in a work order. Fine, but that doesn't help me at all. No offer to switch rooms or any kind of compensation, but I was too tired to argue and press the issue. Finally, at 4 a.m., I noticed all kinds of little bugs in the sink and around the door (fruit flies, maybe?) and this is where I also noticed that the sink barely drained. At this point, I didn't care about anything anymore.

I will say that I wrote to Motel 6's corporate office before I even went to bed (so I didn't even get to tell them about the bugs) and I got a nice response and a free night voucher good for any location. I appreciated how they handled the situation and the quick response, and that's really the only reason I gave a two-star rating instead of one. Most of my Motel 6 experiences have been much better than this one, as I know to expect minimal amenities and frills. But I do also expect a clean room and working showers, so I'd avoid this place if you have other options available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The location is very sketchy, homeless people all over. The rooms were so dirty. I was forced to stay my entire 2 nights for lack of availability elsewhere otherwise I would have left. . I had to clean my own floors!!! Hairs and crumbs everywhere!!!

My non smoking room had burn holes in the blankets and everything smelled like smoke.

You get what you pay for here. This place is a dump, choose another motel.

Room Tip: Very small parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hemet, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

First of all I never write reviews. I flew into Austin from California and needed a room for the night. I checked with priceline. It seemed like a reasonable deal. I have stayed at several Motel 6 before. When I arrived I already had a very bad feeling. This motel is very sketchy and scary. I didn't feel safe staying there by myself at all. Even though I had already paid for the room online I decided not to stay. I felt that bad about the area. I wish I would have read reviews before booking. It would have saved me $55. Lesson learned. I hope I can help someone else not make the same mistake.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Harrisburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I were in town for the March Madness games at UT. The location of the hotel is a little confusing for out-of-towners when approaching from the south (you have to go past the hotel and back around, 35 is quite the freeway) but once you get used to it, it's no problem. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner because all you get is a bar of soap. It's a very clean and inexpensive place to stay with no frills. Contrary to some other reviewers, I felt very safe during our five day stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We ended planning a trip to Austin during SXSW like fools and the only hotel that we could find online that wasn't $500 a night was this Motel 6. After reading the reviews, I thought that the place would be okay but I will warn you right now... This place is AWFUL. When we arrived, there were homeless people loitering the property and over-flowing trash cans by the doors. When we walked into our room, it smelled like someone had been smoking in it for years. No amount of air freshener can get that smell out. There were cigarette burns all over the comforters. I would even question how clean the sheets and pillows were, as they were discolored with stains on them. There was only one towel in the bathroom and stains streaking the bathroom wall. I wouldn't even take a shower in this place. I was so traumatized by how awful this place was that I screamed to my companion, "OMG, there is blood on the floor!" but I am pretty sure it was just red paint. Oddly enough there is nothing in the room painted red. This place is incredibly disgusting. It is NOT clean AT ALL. I would not even let my dog stay there. We were told by locals that this Motel 6 is located in the worst part of town and is known to rent the rooms by half-the-hour to prostitutes and drug users. I do want to say that, yes this place was remodeled, but that was quite awhile ago as the "newness" has definitely worn off. The only nice thing in that room was the bathroom sink. If you are looking for a comfortable place to sleep, forget about it. The beds are cheap mattresses on a formica slab. The only reason I am giving this place a 2 instead of a 1 is bc the front desk clerks were so incredibly kind and gave us a full refund. By the grace of God, we found a room at the Hampton Inn by the Arboretum (which is a very nice hotel).

Room Tip: The tip is to not book this place period.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Motel 6 Austin Central - North? Share your experiences!