“Perfect for low-maintenance travelers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Austin Central - North

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Austin Central - North to your Saves list
Motel 6 Austin Central - North
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   8010 N. Interstate 35, I-35 at Exits #240-A/241, Austin, TX 78753   |
Ranked #149 of 182 hotels in Austin
Harrisburg
“Perfect for low-maintenance travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I were in town for the March Madness games at UT. The location of the hotel is a little confusing for out-of-towners when approaching from the south (you have to go past the hotel and back around, 35 is quite the freeway) but once you get used to it, it's no problem. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner because all you get is a bar of soap. It's a very clean and inexpensive place to stay with no frills. Contrary to some other reviewers, I felt very safe during our five day stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
College Station, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We ended planning a trip to Austin during SXSW like fools and the only hotel that we could find online that wasn't $500 a night was this Motel 6. After reading the reviews, I thought that the place would be okay but I will warn you right now... This place is AWFUL. When we arrived, there were homeless people loitering the property and over-flowing trash cans by the doors. When we walked into our room, it smelled like someone had been smoking in it for years. No amount of air freshener can get that smell out. There were cigarette burns all over the comforters. I would even question how clean the sheets and pillows were, as they were discolored with stains on them. There was only one towel in the bathroom and stains streaking the bathroom wall. I wouldn't even take a shower in this place. I was so traumatized by how awful this place was that I screamed to my companion, "OMG, there is blood on the floor!" but I am pretty sure it was just red paint. Oddly enough there is nothing in the room painted red. This place is incredibly disgusting. It is NOT clean AT ALL. I would not even let my dog stay there. We were told by locals that this Motel 6 is located in the worst part of town and is known to rent the rooms by half-the-hour to prostitutes and drug users. I do want to say that, yes this place was remodeled, but that was quite awhile ago as the "newness" has definitely worn off. The only nice thing in that room was the bathroom sink. If you are looking for a comfortable place to sleep, forget about it. The beds are cheap mattresses on a formica slab. The only reason I am giving this place a 2 instead of a 1 is bc the front desk clerks were so incredibly kind and gave us a full refund. By the grace of God, we found a room at the Hampton Inn by the Arboretum (which is a very nice hotel).

Room Tip: The tip is to not book this place period.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Iowa City IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This Motel 6 was clean, convenient and safe. The front desk clerks were helpful, efficient and friendly. I requested a different room because I didn't like the location of the one first given to me; the clerk accomodated me immediately without a hassle. There is an area (long and semi-narrow strips) on the west and north sides that are perfect for dog walking. The rooms are remodeled and clean; The location of the motel is convenient to downtown Austin; it is still a little drive from the north and traffic can be heavy. There are no restaurants or stores or other conviences in the immeidate area. At night there was some coming and going so I would use caution. I did encouter a few random people that were eerie (Austin in general seems to have a huge transient population owing to it's warm winter climate) This didn't affect my sleep or feeling of safety.

Room Tip: I would request a room in the back on the west side for the quiet. Also if you have a dog this area...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Mesquite
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Motel 6 generally are just average, but the reno helped to elevate the rating on this one. The room was very clean and fresh smelling. Large flat screen TV and sleeker furniture made the room seem larger. On-site security.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I came to Austin without knowing SXSW was going on. The hotel was sold out by the time we arrived.

Many of the Motel 6 hotels are undergoing renovations. This one had been recently renovated. It was very nice inside for a Motel 6. There wasn't a refrigerator, but there was a flat-screen tv on the wall. Two strange things: the sink towered about six inches over the counter. More unusual than necessarily bad.

The other was that the toilet had no lid. No way to sit down and take care of the kids in the bathtub.

The hotel had the usual Motel 6 standards: a clean room, decent beds, and plenty of parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side to get away from the freeway noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I travel the US with my dog assessing dog parks for DogParksUSA (http://www.DogParksUSA.org), and stay in dog-friendly, affordable lodging with her. The Motel 6 chain always allows dogs, and is almost always the cheapest cost choice in every city, but after this stay ad all my other stays in Motel 6's this year, I am starting to think I am just going to have to pay more. I am pretty burned out on Motel 6 now.

This Motel 6 is located right off of I-35 in Austin, Texas, along with lots of other motels and hotels that line the frontage roads of I-35. I reserved a single full-bed non-smoking room, and the front desk clerk efficiently checked me in. The room itself has a style that, if you remember that Woody Allen movie from years and years ago "Sleeper" made me think of it -- kind of retro mod (you'll see what I mean in the pictures). Someone else described it me as Ikea style. You can judge for yourself in the photos. It's not ugly; all those rounded corners would come in handy if you have a problem with intoxication and bumping into things -- I think many guests in this hotel might have that problem, so it is considerate of Motel 6 to protect them from injury. No fridge or microwave in these rooms. The flatscreen television is about 32 inches in size. It has 21 channels (including the channel guide): there is one spanish channel, and two HBO channels. The hotel is two stories, and there is no elevator. The frontage roads are very busy and it is not easy to get around from one side of the highway to the other frontage road on the other side; everyone rushing off the highway is coming into the lanes you need to get into to make U-turns under the highway to get to the other frontage roads. Make sure your car has pep and doesn't stall, so you can accelerate like crazy in these places. There are no food establishments near this hotel or within even a walking distance that I, who likes to walk and save gasoline, would do. About a mile away is a Burger King and Denny's on the same frontage road side as the Motel 6; across I-35 on the other frontage road is a WalMart with a surpermarket, a Little Caesars, a McDonald's within the WalMart, a Subway, maybe one other fast food place. The gas station next to the WalMart (not part of WalMart, though) has some of the cheapest gas prices around. There is a Goodwill store, too, if you enjoy thrift shopping. An IHOP is on the WalMart side of I-35, too. The hotel has an in-ground swimming pool.

I experienced a problem while here. I stayed for two nights. The night of check-in, even though I am traveling with my dog, another guest with a dog created problems. These hotels do not permit guests to leave their dogs unattended in the rooms. They give you a break if you are running out to pick up some food and can't leave your dog in the car in the hot Texas summer heat while you run in to get it, but we're talking no more than 20 minutes. Hours alone are definitely not permitted, especially if the dog is an anxious one that is alarmed by every sound outside the room or just afraid because they are in a strange place and their human is not here. You can't leave your dog in the room while you go out to get drunk or to work at a club, or whatever. The guest in the room behind me (bathroom wall to bathroom wall) started whining when I returned to the room at 6:30PM; at 7:15PM, I asked the front desk if they could locate the dog's owner, because the dog's whining and barking was anxious and miserable sounding. The clerk started trying to reach the owner. The miserable-sounding whining continued, and at 9:45PM, I knew I was not going to be able to sleep if I had to continue to listen to it. I returned to the front desk and said the dog had not stopped; the clerk told me they had not been able to reach the owner; I told him he needed to go into the room and remove the dog and bring it into the lobby with him (the lobby locks at 8PM, by the way; after 8PM, you have to deal with the clerk at a bank drive-up style window, which makes me think robberies are a problem in this area), leave a note for the owner as to the whereabouts of the dog, and I could go to sleep. No can do; clerk said he could not remove anything from the room, even if it where a dog left there alone in violation of the hotel policies. I told him I had to move to another room, no smoking and on the ground floor. He readily gave me a new door key. I moved my belongings into the new room, which, even though it had a "no smoking" sticker on the door, smelled so strongly of smoke, it was cloying. The hotel was full, and this was the only room I could move to. I had some Febreze in my car because wet dogs can be stinky dogs, and sprayed all of it in the room, especially on the popcorn ceiling that holds stinky odors. It helped enough for me to bear the room for the night. The next day, when I left for breakfast and returned later in the afternoon after the room had been serviced, the cloying smoke smell was back (and I had used up my Febreze supply). I sought out housekeeping, and they gave me a bottle of something called "No Smoke Liquid Deodorant" (good name) to borrow, and I saturated the place with it, walls, ceiling, furniture, linens, curtains, air conditioner vents. So far, that product seems to be doing the trick. I do not have any complaints about the staff. But clearly, at Motel 6, you get what you pay for. I will most likely never stay at another Motel 6 again, and definitely not this one. There are tons of other hotels along the frontage roads of I-35 that travelers, including those with dogs, can stay at. La Quinta, which allows dogs but costs about $15 more per night, is just a block away; I wish I had stayed and paid there.

Room Tip: No elevators, so those with dogs who cannot climb stairs or guests with mobility issues or lots of h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Australia Mauritius
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Non smoking room smelled like smoke. Was ok, and staff were nice enough, but after a bit of searching found a much better deal 300 yards down the road at the motel 8. Check the coupons in the travel magazines. Can find it at the Austin Tourist Info centre downtown.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Austin Central - North? Share your experiences!