“Dog-friendly but oh-so-Motel-6ish” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Austin Central - North

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Austin Central - North to your Saves list
Motel 6 Austin Central - North
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   8010 N. Interstate 35, I-35 at Exits #240-A/241, Austin, TX 78753   |
Ranked #160 of 184 hotels in Austin
Florida
“Dog-friendly but oh-so-Motel-6ish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I travel the US with my dog assessing dog parks for DogParksUSA (http://www.DogParksUSA.org), and stay in dog-friendly, affordable lodging with her. The Motel 6 chain always allows dogs, and is almost always the cheapest cost choice in every city, but after this stay ad all my other stays in Motel 6's this year, I am starting to think I am just going to have to pay more. I am pretty burned out on Motel 6 now.

This Motel 6 is located right off of I-35 in Austin, Texas, along with lots of other motels and hotels that line the frontage roads of I-35. I reserved a single full-bed non-smoking room, and the front desk clerk efficiently checked me in. The room itself has a style that, if you remember that Woody Allen movie from years and years ago "Sleeper" made me think of it -- kind of retro mod (you'll see what I mean in the pictures). Someone else described it me as Ikea style. You can judge for yourself in the photos. It's not ugly; all those rounded corners would come in handy if you have a problem with intoxication and bumping into things -- I think many guests in this hotel might have that problem, so it is considerate of Motel 6 to protect them from injury. No fridge or microwave in these rooms. The flatscreen television is about 32 inches in size. It has 21 channels (including the channel guide): there is one spanish channel, and two HBO channels. The hotel is two stories, and there is no elevator. The frontage roads are very busy and it is not easy to get around from one side of the highway to the other frontage road on the other side; everyone rushing off the highway is coming into the lanes you need to get into to make U-turns under the highway to get to the other frontage roads. Make sure your car has pep and doesn't stall, so you can accelerate like crazy in these places. There are no food establishments near this hotel or within even a walking distance that I, who likes to walk and save gasoline, would do. About a mile away is a Burger King and Denny's on the same frontage road side as the Motel 6; across I-35 on the other frontage road is a WalMart with a surpermarket, a Little Caesars, a McDonald's within the WalMart, a Subway, maybe one other fast food place. The gas station next to the WalMart (not part of WalMart, though) has some of the cheapest gas prices around. There is a Goodwill store, too, if you enjoy thrift shopping. An IHOP is on the WalMart side of I-35, too. The hotel has an in-ground swimming pool.

I experienced a problem while here. I stayed for two nights. The night of check-in, even though I am traveling with my dog, another guest with a dog created problems. These hotels do not permit guests to leave their dogs unattended in the rooms. They give you a break if you are running out to pick up some food and can't leave your dog in the car in the hot Texas summer heat while you run in to get it, but we're talking no more than 20 minutes. Hours alone are definitely not permitted, especially if the dog is an anxious one that is alarmed by every sound outside the room or just afraid because they are in a strange place and their human is not here. You can't leave your dog in the room while you go out to get drunk or to work at a club, or whatever. The guest in the room behind me (bathroom wall to bathroom wall) started whining when I returned to the room at 6:30PM; at 7:15PM, I asked the front desk if they could locate the dog's owner, because the dog's whining and barking was anxious and miserable sounding. The clerk started trying to reach the owner. The miserable-sounding whining continued, and at 9:45PM, I knew I was not going to be able to sleep if I had to continue to listen to it. I returned to the front desk and said the dog had not stopped; the clerk told me they had not been able to reach the owner; I told him he needed to go into the room and remove the dog and bring it into the lobby with him (the lobby locks at 8PM, by the way; after 8PM, you have to deal with the clerk at a bank drive-up style window, which makes me think robberies are a problem in this area), leave a note for the owner as to the whereabouts of the dog, and I could go to sleep. No can do; clerk said he could not remove anything from the room, even if it where a dog left there alone in violation of the hotel policies. I told him I had to move to another room, no smoking and on the ground floor. He readily gave me a new door key. I moved my belongings into the new room, which, even though it had a "no smoking" sticker on the door, smelled so strongly of smoke, it was cloying. The hotel was full, and this was the only room I could move to. I had some Febreze in my car because wet dogs can be stinky dogs, and sprayed all of it in the room, especially on the popcorn ceiling that holds stinky odors. It helped enough for me to bear the room for the night. The next day, when I left for breakfast and returned later in the afternoon after the room had been serviced, the cloying smoke smell was back (and I had used up my Febreze supply). I sought out housekeeping, and they gave me a bottle of something called "No Smoke Liquid Deodorant" (good name) to borrow, and I saturated the place with it, walls, ceiling, furniture, linens, curtains, air conditioner vents. So far, that product seems to be doing the trick. I do not have any complaints about the staff. But clearly, at Motel 6, you get what you pay for. I will most likely never stay at another Motel 6 again, and definitely not this one. There are tons of other hotels along the frontage roads of I-35 that travelers, including those with dogs, can stay at. La Quinta, which allows dogs but costs about $15 more per night, is just a block away; I wish I had stayed and paid there.

Room Tip: No elevators, so those with dogs who cannot climb stairs or guests with mobility issues or lots of h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Australia Mauritius
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Non smoking room smelled like smoke. Was ok, and staff were nice enough, but after a bit of searching found a much better deal 300 yards down the road at the motel 8. Check the coupons in the travel magazines. Can find it at the Austin Tourist Info centre downtown.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
San Angelo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I booked because of the renovated rooms, a 32inch flatscreen wall mounted, new black marble sink wich elevated face bowl. New towel holders New pedal style beds, that you can see under. Motel 6 went with the less is more and it works. The removed the carpeting. Good move, why? Ever spent time wondering if the carpets been cleaned? No more food stains, unrine stays and whatever. They have laminated "hardwood" floors. And you know without a doubt the floors are clean. The beds were okay, if they replace them with a low cost visco foam bed it would be great. Same old bulk sheets that were clean. THe towels are typical. Hot water was abundant. No microwave or small fridge, stay at Studio 6 if you want that. Overall i enjoyed the stay it was simple, no frills and inexpensive. It was clean and gives you that peace of mind about the cleanliness. I like the way the rooms looks and i dont mind bare floors. I stayed 2 nights and it was quiet. Its very close to food establishments and Walmart is on the other side of I-35, and hwy 183 is at the corner.

Room Tip: If you need drawers for clothes, ask for a room that has them. Mine didnt but i travel light anyway
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011 via mobile

Flat screen TV. Non smoking rooms do not smell on cigs nor does the linen. No breakfast and WI-FI is not free. Worth the money

• Stayed August 2011
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011 via mobile

On May 28,2011, I had a room at this Motel 6. I was there a couple of hours and the adjoining room door opened and closed. I went to the lobby to tell the front desk what happened and the guy with tattoo on his neck told "Me" the guest to knock on the door and tell two male hispanics to stop. I went back to my room and they did it again. I went back to front desk and basically he told me to bad . I asked him to call his manager and I got the same response. I went back to my room 108 and left
My safety was not a concern

• Stayed May 2011
Holden, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

We stayed at this motel for one night. The person at the lobby that checked us in told us when we asked if there is any antique shops close the answer he gave was where to find hookers and the pawn shops. Would never stay at this motel again it gives Motel 6 a very bad reputation. While we were on vacation we stayed at much nicer motels for the same amount of money or less. The room had no shampoo, hair dryer, clock, extra towels they charge extra for more than 1 person but do not give extra towels for that person.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Austell, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

Pros: Very very clean; Newly renovated gave it a modern look; Location is convenient to I35 and many surrounding restaurants and shops.
Cons: No alarm clock or dresser; Internet access is an additional 2.95

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 Austin Central - North? Share your experiences!