“An undiscovered Asian food jewel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lavaca Teppan

Lavaca Teppan
1712 Lavaca St, Austin, TX 78701 (Downtown)
512-520-8630
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #400 of 3,231 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
“An undiscovered Asian food jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

This is right on the edge of the Capitol complex and you would think it would be more crowded. I just assume no one knows it is there. I found it as it was being built because it is next to my credit union. I have had both lunch and the more expanded dinner menu and it is great. Fresh delicious food. They are wise enough to concentrate on a smaller menu that they undertake to do well. I love Soba noodles dishes and wasn't disappointed. And the value is very good if not downright cheap for the quality. Quantity is just right- you'll feel satisfied not stuffed. While it isn't San Francisco, it's the nearest thing you will get in the Capitol complex economically.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Antonio, Texas
“Great Food & Busy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We waited a while for our order. My coworker said she never waits long for her food. I must say, I don't know if it's real Japanese food or not, but it was great. I got fried, brown rice with chicken. Yummy.

• Visited April 2012
Austin, TX
“Awesome - Almost hate to write the review!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Since this small gem opened on Lavaca I have been there three times. Working downtown it is hard to find healthy food that is tasty somewhere quick for lunch. This is within easy walking distance of the Capital and the food and service are great!

The first trip I got the Don Tempura bowl (or something like that) - lightly breaded tempura shrimp and veggies with a really nice tempura sauce.

The following two trips I had to have the teriyaki chicken and veggies. I think I am addicted to their teriyaki sauce. They make it at the restaurant and it is probably the best I've ever had. My friend who went with me asked them for the ingredients - she could not believe it didn't have oil in it - it was/is so good. Especially if you like a gingery type of sauce - which I love! Great place and the service is great - I hope they are around for a while!

• Visited October 2011