“Laud unattended dogs, double beds in queen rooms, boo!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #126 of 182 hotels in Austin
Michigan
“Laud unattended dogs, double beds in queen rooms, boo!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Extended Stay Deluxe Austin - Arboretum - North Austin, TX
Loud Dogs! No queen beds in queen suites, Boo!! Find another place if you can!
We are in the middle of an interstate move, and needed this long term stay facility for one month. We have a trailer and a lot of belongings with us. We arrived late on a Friday to find our "queen" suite had a "double" bed, and told that they have replaced all the hotel queens with doubles.It is simply called a queen suite, but not because of the bed size. They would get us a king room in a few days. Never happened. Dogs are allowed to bark,left in unattended rooms, for days on end. They tell us we are not allowed to knock on the door, as "that is a lawsuit waiting to happen," but they refuse to quiet the dogs in two rooms near ours. In ten days still barking hours on end. They say they do not believe that it is such a bad problem and they are dog friendly. Evidently desk personal take the dog out for walks when they have to go potty! What? That answers the question why they are not at the desk half the time. Where are the owners? Allowing a dog to stay in a room with the owners is one thing, left unnatended to the care of the staff is quite another. We were to stay here for a month, but a double bed for two older people, barking dogs,poor parking, and maintanance problems have cured us. The bathroom sink is very severly cracked all the way across the bottom. When they checked, they said it was not all the way through the porcelean yet. It is also detached and falling away from the wall The bath tile floors have two five foot crack lines. Room doors have light and sound coming in from the hall. We are not allowed to park on our side of the building. They say that it belongs to the next door shopping center. Long walk to the room...great inconvenience. True, large rooms, but so poorly lit we cannot see much with two small low lite bulbs. We will leave ASAP. We love Desk clerk Monica and Maintenance Man Mike, as they are great ambasadors for this ill managed property. The hotel is another story. We will never return, and do not recomommend this hotel unless you are really desperate. We gave them every oportunity to correct problems, and they have done nothing. Today they finally offered to allow us to move all our belongings to another double bed room down the hall. I would rather jut move out. Still lied about the queen suite, still major repairs not fixed, and further from our car, still poor maintenance, and still waiting for the king bed. Yikes, we cannot wait to leave. This is the first time we have ever complained about a hotel. They tell me they have nearly as many pets as they have people. So, basically, if you are looking for a doggie hotel, this is it. Large room does not compensate for the other problems. We were just told by todays afternoon manager, "as long as the customer pays the cleaning fees, the dogs can do pretty do anything they want, except destroy the room." Too late, they destroyed the reputation of Extended Stay Deluxe hotels as far as we are concerned. PS. we are animal lovers, so do not think that this is because we do not like them. We love animals, not policies that allow owners to leave them alone for hours unattended and barking. This is not acceptable anywhere, any time, under any circumstances. Remmeber, to check with your long term hotel about animal policies BEFORE YOU MOVE IN AND PAY!! This one has no policy controlling the pets. All the customer has to do is pay the cleaning fee, period. From now on, we will check with pet policies before making our selection of hotels. I guess, from now on, I will also have to ask if a queen suite actually has a queen bed. R. Markowicz, Michigan

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Our stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe was great! The room was perfect and the staff gracious. It was great to have a kitchenette and a grocery store was just down the block. We had such a great time we booked for the following weekend for the same hotel!

Stayed January 2009
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Stayed here for one night because we were between apartments and needed a real bed/bathroom.

The rooms were large, but that is about it. Like a very large Motel 6. The place hadn't been remodeled since probably the 1980s and the small issues were countless (room key didn't work, no soap in room, etc).

This was my first Extended Stay experience. If I got them cheap and needed a place to rest my head, I would do it again. If not...

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ann Arbor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

This hotel property was obviously something else prior to being an ESA. The hotel lobby is quite spacious and they provide a small continental breakfast in the mornings--something I haven't experienced with other ESAs. They also have a very small pool in the middle of a parking lot.

This hotel has three buildings. I was in building 2. There were doors on each end and maybe 8-10 rooms end-to-end. I was right next to the door on the far end of the building. It was very noisy. Every time someone entered the building the door would slam shut. It would be tough to find a room where you wouldn't hear the door noise, because the building is short in length.

On the positive side, the room was clean, the AC worked great and the wireless connection was very good. The staff seemed friendly and helpful. No problems with my reservation.

• Liked — Good internet access
  • Disliked — Door slamming noise
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

I didn't expect much with a name like Extended Stay but everything else was sold olt....
CHECKING IN:
First, I walk in the door and there's a lady in front of me whose reservation had been lost. After waiting for about 15 minutes for them to get through with her, it was my turn. The lady behind the counter said she had my reservation and began processing it without asking my name. I had to assume I was the only one. Nope - when I handed her my credit card, she realized she was processing the wrong person. So, now she starts working on mine and kept answering the phone and helping them instead of asking them to hold. It took about anohter 10-15 minutes to get checked in which was especially frustrating considering I arrived around midnight.
THE ROOM:
The room was clean and the bed comfortable which are the only reasons this hotel got a "2" from me. However.....
- First thing I tried to do is turn on the television and found out the remote didn't work (this problem continued until the afternoon of day 3)
- The compressor on the AC was extremely loud which I reported on day #2. The manager said she would come take a look but didn't. I reported it again that evening and found the manager had left. This was also finally resolved on day #3.
- The shower had good water pressure and was warm but the drain didn't work well so the tub would start filling up during the shower.
Suffice to say, my visit was not exactly a positive experience.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2005

FYI: THIS HOTEL HAS BEEN BOUGHT OUT BY EXTENDED STAYAMERICA.
I was furious with this hotel chain when they blew off a reservation I had made FOUR MONTHS in advance and called up to confirm the week before leaving for 8 days in Austin. When I arrived with my family in tow, they had no 2-bed suites left. My reservations were for a 2 room suite with 2 beds and french doors separating the rooms. The girl at the counter was totally unhelpful and unconcerned. In fact she was pretty cold about things. When I asked what they were going to do to resolve the problem, her only response was "well, we can't kick out the other people." It went downhill from there with her acerbic ideas about why the room wasn't available. I was stuck as a convention in town had everything else sold out. I had no where else I COULD go though I searched mightly for another place after this exerience. I should say that the room itself, although too small for my needs, was basically ok. I've certainly been in worse. But it was noisy and there were places in the bathroom walls where repairs had been made but not really finished. The faucet in the kitchen was coming unattached etc etc. But it wasn't filthy. It had a/c (two in fact). And they did allow my dog. Just don't count on getting the room you ask for, (assuming you get one at all.) The word "reservation" seems to have little meaning to them here.

• Stayed June 2005
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2004

This hotel is nice. I stayed in a studio room and got a deal on Priceline. Although the room was small, the layout was ingenious, and I never felt cramped. I had a double bed, full couch, fridge, 2-burner stove, sink, dishwasher, microwave, dining table, ironing board/iron, hairdryer, etc. Quite a lot of convenience for not a lot of dollars. The hotel was very quiet, and the free breakfast was terrific -- nice dining area, and waffle irons with which you could make your own waffles. All in all, a great value.

• Stayed August 2004, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North? Share your experiences!