“I think people just look for things to complain about. . .” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #128 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“I think people just look for things to complain about. . .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We got a great deal on Priceline. The room was clean, the a/c worked great, the bed was comfortable, everything worked. It was quiet - I saw no suspicious characters about. The hallway did not smell musty. The front desk personnel were very nice. The grab and go breakfast had a good selection of muffins, fruit, oatmeal, cereal bars, 2 kinds of coffee, tea, cocoa, etc. And since we were doing something every day we were there, we did just that - grabbed and went on adventures. The only thing with our room was the toilet would run for like 5 seconds every once in a while on its own, but that was no big deal to me. I got this room for $32/night - are you kidding me? It's not a 4 or 5 star hotel. If it were, maybe I would complain about the toilet. If you want a nice, quiet, clean place to stay that is affordable and has everything you need, then this is all you need, no worries. If you want luxury, top of the line soap and shampoo with shower caps and mouthwash plus crystal chandeliers and 1200 count bedsheets with plush carpeting, bellhops, and valet parking, etc., I suggest you book a 4 or 5 star. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel. Oh an an added lil bonus is the small strip mall next door which has 2 restaurants, a yoga studio, and a food mart in case you need anything. We had a great stay and our vacation was that much better because of the money we saved.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We are happy to know you had such a great stay with us. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We originally had reservations at this hotel for 5 nights and when we arrived at 10:00 p.m (after a long day of driving) we were told that they were booked and we would have to go to another one of their properties. I could see it happening for one night, but all 5 nights.... I feel like because I booked through a third party ( Hotwire) they chose us to bump because we paid a lower price. Hotwire called them for us the next day, and they said they could get us back in the next night but we would have to leave again for the next three nights. No thanks! The other hotel we were bumped to had outside access, no breakfast, no pool, no gym, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so disappointed that we were unable to accommodate you at this location and your reservation was transferred to another property. Please accept my apology. In response to your feedback, I am working with our third party vendors to ensure this type of situation does not happen again.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me, at asa@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Bulverde, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Had no major complaints about our stay. The room had a few flaws but nothing that ruined my opinion. I upgraded the Hotwire queen room to a king suite for only ten bucks and was glad I did. The room amenities were nice. Comfortable chairs and sofa, nice TV and, of course, the larger bed.

The staff was friendly and helpful, both on the phone for the upgrade and during check-in / check-out.

The bathroom needed some help. The shower head was malfunctioning and spraying water all over the place and didn't have any kind of regulator in it (surprising for a city like Austin), so the pressure was high enough to be painful and had to be manually turned down. Some of the shower tiles had been replaced. The new tiles didn't match the old tiles and the repair workmanship wasn't up to par. The shower curtain rod had been moved at least three times and all of the old holes were still in the walls. All of that is really only minor and is only mentioned for information. Everything functioned and the cleanliness was satisfactory.

We didn't need the kitchenette but it was well-equipped and if we had stayed more than one night, then it would have been utilized. It would have been nice to have some paper towels.

There were two wall-unit air conditioners in the room, but only one of them worked. The one near the bed blew air but not cold air. It did help to circulate the cold air from the other unit, though.

The location of the hotel is about 10-12 miles northwest of downtown, so it is pretty far from the "Austin scene". If you're in town to "keep Austin weird", then you will want to stay closer to the middle of things. If you're only looking for a place to sleep on your way through, then this is a good location. Close to the Mopac, with easy access to the other main north-south routes.

The free breakfast was laughable. We walked away with a pre-packaged muffin and a few granola bars. There were a couple sad little oranges but nothing else in the way of fresh food. The coffee was good and they had flavored creamer, which was a nice touch.

Overall, it was a good value for the price paid ("secret deal" on Hotwire) but I definitely wouldn't pay a full rack rate for the room.

Room Tip: If you book through Hotwire, you will get a queen room. Pay the $10 to upgrade to a king suite.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Kane - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our accommodations. We also appreciate your feedback on our grab-and-go breakfast and will ensure that we provide the best options possible. As we continue to fine tune this feature, we will keep your remarks in mind.

Columbia, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I were traveling to Austin and she booked the hotel on Hotwire. I differ in opinion from her a bit.

We pulled in late at night and when we started to go to our room, I was skeptical. The hallways were dingy and dirty, but surprisingly enough the room we pretty nice. The bathroom, was average, but ok overall. The kitchen was really nice. I wasn't expecting anything great, it wasn't the Waldorf Astoria, but it was fine. We had problems with our access cards not working twice, but when we went to resolve it, the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast wasn't much to write about, just cereal and coffee, but I wasn't expecting it to be much, as it was a cheaper hotel.

The room was nicely furnished, but the bed was pretty lousy, I didn't sleep well on it.

We paid a discount price on Hotwire, which was fine, but I wouldn't pay full price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It's great to hear that you were pleased with your room. I do apologize for the level of cleanliness in the hallways; however, I am very glad that overall you had a great stay at our hotel. We truly enjoyed having you and your girlfriend visit with us!

The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Moreno Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for two nights while playing tourist in Austin, TX. The hotel is about 15 min away from Downtown Austin; which proved to be quite nice after dealing with the Friday Night Chaos on Sixth Street.

Initially; we were a bit nervous about the hotel. The exterior is a little rough, and the crowd that was in the parking lot of the facility was a bit strange. We encountered a man out for a smoke break and another riding a mini-gas powered motor bike throughout the parking lot. (It was 11:00 at night). There are no elevators in the facility that we could find, so we had to carry our luggage up two flights of stairs to our room. The halls were a bit dingy as well.

Upon opening to door to our room, we were pleasantly surprised to find it well maintained, crisp, and fresh. The air conditioning worked well, and we have no complaints about bed pests. The bathrooms were well maintained also.

Overall, a nice stay for the reasonable price we found on Hotwire.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the quality of your room. Also, I am so happy that you enjoyed our hotel's location, close to downtown Austin. Still, I am sorry that you were disturbed in the middle of the night by outside noise.

Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I'm amazed a hotel like this is able to stay in business in the part of town they are located. If a major chain were to buy this property, tear it down and launch their own hotel here, they would be surrounded a sea of business travel with all the tech companies within 5 minutes. I realize things are generally a bit cheaper here in Austin than many other large cities (which is great!) but the quality of what's around this hotel is in such stark contrast to this hotel. I only stayed one night and immediately put in for a transfer (as my company tends to use Extended Stay often) to another North Austin location.
Essentially the entire complex is run-down, smells pretty bad, poorly insulated from noise, movement, stains galore, and on top of all that one room had a giant warning sign for HIGH OZONE exposure and please do not enter (and yet my room was on the floor directly above!). I don't exaggerate at all, there were warning signs and the room was marked off. Maybe it was being bug-bombed some other issue. Regardless, even at $60/night, this place is certainly not worth it at all and I'm amazed their reviews are so inflated on this site.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not up to your satisfaction especially with the cleanliness of our hotel. In response to your feedback, I am going to work diligently with my staff to ensure the cleanliness of this hotel is better maintained. In reference to the High Ozone Exposure sign, that was simply an ionizing machine used for additional cleaning in that particular room. Due to the extended stay nature of our hotel and the availability of our functional kitchens, we occasionally encounter rooms that require a little extra attention. In an effort to provide the best lodging experience possible, we take further measures to ensure that the rooms are up to the highest standards possible for new guests checking in. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at asa@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff was always helpful and lovely, when I would go out and in. I also loved having the kitchen, although I never really used it, it was still nice to have the option to use it. The area was more in the North part of town, but I really liked this area. The beds were like butter and I woke up feeling refreshed. If you need a good and safe place to rest your head, have a bit of a budget, and need a bit of home (be it cooking or more space) this hotel will make you happy you choose it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We are happy to know you truly enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North? Share your experiences!