“Two nights of zero sleep” 2 of 5 stars
Review of TownePlace Suites Austin Northwest

You added TownePlace Suites Austin Northwest to your Saves list
TownePlace Suites Austin Northwest
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10024 North Capital of TX Highway North, Austin, TX 78759 (Northwest Austin)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #102 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Tampa, Florida
“Two nights of zero sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

The floorplans of the room are good. I enjoy having a full kitchen so I can stock healthy food and snacks in my fridge. I was in this hotel for only 2 nights for a business trip so I didn't have to use the kitchen on the trip but that amenity would be great for a longer trip to the area.

The walls in this hotel are extremely thin. I could hear the entire conversations of the guests in rooms on either side of my room. Unfortunately, on my 2nd night, there was one group who had both rooms on either side of me and they decided to hold a raging party until 2am. Three calls to the front desk to complain produced no results, the party went on...and on...and on.

There are no vending or ice machines in the buildings. So if you want water, snacks, ice, you have to go back to the lobby building (a separate building with the lobby, breakfast room, exercise room). Due to major t-storms and a tornado warning the 2nd night I was there, I had to forego my usual bottle of water at bedtime because I had forgotten to pick one up while I was out, and couldn't get to the lobby building safely. This is a pretty poor design, if you ask me. A simple vending machine is expected when you stay in a hotel (at least in my opinion).

The a/c unit in my room smelled of burning electric wires every time it clicked on. A call to the front desk assured me this was normal. Normal? Really?

The breakfast is your typical "free hotel breakfast". They do offer rubbery eggs and greasy sausage links but the two containers were out of food both mornings when I went down for b'fast. They were making more to refill them, but they never were refilled while I was there for about 30 minutes. You have a selection of 5 different sugary cereals, oatmeal packets, pre-wrapped sugary danish type things. The "fresh fruit" they brag of is a bowl of overripe bananas and nothing more. Their OJ and Apple juice is that from concentrate stuff that comes out of the machine. Barely any actual fruit in either, I couldn't even finish a small 6oz OJ it was so sugary and just plain bad. The coffee was decent, but I didn't go for my typical 2nd cup, and opted to swing by a real coffee shop on my way to my meeting.

The exercise room is small but functional for a quick workout. You have 2 treadmills, 1 stairmaster, and some free weights. They offer a cabinet of towels and free water (that was the best deal of all if you ask me). The a/c did seem to be faulty or just turned really high, the room was warm to begin with so I think I got an extra oomph to my 30 minutes on the treadmill since I was sweating far more than I normally would!

Overall, it was fine for a quick business trip but if I was going to have to stay a full week, I would have found another hotel by the 3rd night to finish out my trip.

PS: Oh, and I forgot to mention the huge ants crawling up the wall by my bed the night of the storm. I was on the 2nd floor and still had a bug problem. Gross.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

There's nothing particularly remarkable about this hotel. It's a neat, clean, cookie cutter TownePlace Suites hotel by Marriott. The staff was very friendly. Kudo's to them for helping my stay a good one.

Another reviewer stated it quite well, it's a Fairfield Inn with a kitchette. It's a less expensive Marriott Residence Inn without the hot free breakfast.

My only complaints about this establishment are placement of the flatscreen TV on the half wall between the bed and the kitchenette (I walked into it in the dark and thought I nearly ripped it off the wall); noise transmission between the rooms (yes, that's code words for thin walls); and a shower head that's mounted low on the wall (beyond eye level...and I'm only 6 feet tall).

It's convenient to a couple of decent restaurants next door. Easy access to Mo-Pac highway and any location in Austin.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

The TownePlace Suites at 10024 North Capital of TX Highway North, Austin, TX 78759 provides satisfactory lodging, but not more. The location is excellent because the hotel is easy to find, the local food options are many, and the proximity to main highways is useful.

However, the hotel uses cheap furniture and bed linens, and travelers should expect better from a Marriott property. Travelers should compare the room furnishings and bed linens with the Staybridge Suites around the corner in the same rate range - the Staybridge is much better in this regard. The hotel bathrooms have that Motel 6 feel - layers and layers of paint instead of stripping and repainting, extremely low-quality bathroom furnishings, and so on. There is nothing wrong with a Motel 6, that's not the point. The point is, the rates charged by the TownePlace Suites are not commensurate with the room furnishings.

Even with the sub-standard furnishings, the hotel is satisfactory for travelers - but travelers and travel professionals should carefully consider whether innkeepers should be rewarded for charging these rates when the much nicer Staybridge is around the corner.

Room Tip: Sushi Sake is close by and very good, the Iron Cactus Tex-Mex around the corner on Stonelake has a 4...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

If you need to be in North Austin, this is a great location and value. Rooms are big and clean. It is located on Mopac - making it very accessible. Tons of food options around the corner - overall a great value for money!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Beaumont, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We had a nice two bedroom suite that is great when traveling with kids. It was an average suite at a great price. We did have hotel remodeling directly across the hall from our room that was fairly loud. It's a great location in austin and easy to find. They had a free "grab and go" breakfast. The breakfast was not a hot breakfast but offered several breakfast options that quick and easy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Towneplace suites is just basic unlike other hotels in the category such as Staybridge suites or Homewood suites. I have stayed in Fairfield inn before and this is just another one with the addition of a kitchen. The room that I was given first was alright - I loaded all my essentials inside the refrigerator only to find out next morning that it was not working. Their response is a little slow but they did give me another room - but I had to do all the shifting with no assistance at all.
The breakfast is also just minimal - cereals, fruit, muffin and milk in addition to coffee/tea.

The best part of the hotel's location is that it is close to all the major stores.

Overall if you do not have any other option, you can take this. Though I have no regrets, but expected more for the price I paid for this room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
TheTravelTruth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

The walls are so thin. I could hear every thing that was being said by the gentlemen in the room next to me until 11:30 at night. The other room next to mine was a young family with a baby that cried throughout the night. The parents in this room also screamed and cursed a lot. I dont expect people to change their behavior. I do expect not to hear it like they are in the same room as me. I travel quite a bit but this is my first stay at a Townplace Suites. I am guessing all of these properties have very thin walls.

The room was very nice, well equiped and clean.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to TownePlace Suites Austin Northwest? Share your experiences!