“Decent place to stay, close to the airport” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #88 of 184 hotels in Austin
Eugene, Oregon
“Decent place to stay, close to the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We only stayed one night but it was a good experience. Two of our three kids are adults, so the size of the room became smaller when the pullout sofa sleeper was out, but we managed. There is a bar area with a mini-fridge, microwave and desk. The microwave had 2 paper plates and some wrapped plastic place settings in it-- I thought that was thoughtful. Indoor pool and close to the Austin airport. Very friendly staff. The double beds are smaller-sized, BTW, but they were otherwise comfy. The only real drag was the water pressure in the shower in the morning. We must have had a neighbor showering at the same time because it was low around 9:30 am. when I showered, but none of my other family members said anything so maybe I got the worst of it. Breakfast was available but we were too late to enjoy it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the Springhill Suites. We are so glad that your hotel stay meet your satisfaction. We strive to provide a wonderful experience for all guests and are delighted to know that our staff was friendly and attentive. We want to invite you to come visit us again the next time you are in Austin!

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Abingdon, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from June 29th - July 1st, 2013. The staff was very friendly and attentive during our check in. The hotel has a nice lobby, pool, and work-out room. After checking into our room and unpacking we opened up the mini fridge to put our waters in it. It stunk so badly that we could not use it during our 3 night stay. The second problem with the room we had is the layout. We were in a room with a Queen bed and a sofa bed. The room has an "L" shape layout. When we opened the sofa bed for our daughters to use, you basically could not get through from the front door to the regular bed without having to step over the sofa bed. Also, the bathroom sink could definitely use cabinets for storage of bath items. I guess it is not a big deal if you are only staying for one night, but the Springhill Suites is supposed to be for guests staying for longer periods of time. You would think they would have a better storage area. The hotel has a nice breakfast room, but the breakfast itself is a problem. Our first morning we came down 10 minutes before the breakfast was over. The hotel was full and people were standing in line waiting for more eggs (which is another whole issue itself) and the staff was already breaking things down. I immediately went to the Front Desk to tell them that they had to keep the food out and the satff continued to start putting things away! The layout for the food is ok, but the eggs are served in a round skillet the size of a 12 inch frying pan. It is crazy, because the skillet barely holds any food. That is why every morning the line was backed up and out the door while guests waited for the eggs to be re-filled. Also, the hotel had fresh fruit out one day and not the other two days. Fresh fruit should be a standard when you are serving hot breakfast items. One other suggestion for the hotel is to have a better outdoor sitting area by the pool. They only have a small fenced in area with 3 plastic chairs and a small cocktail table. For the size of the hotel you would think they would have a larger outdoor area for guests. The hotel location is good. It is about a 10 minute drive to downtown Austin. Our stay was ok, but I would pick another Marriott hotel for any future Austin trips.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am truly upset to see that you did not enjoy your stay. We take feedback very seriously and will do our best to address each item mentioned internally. I am very sorry to hear of the smell in the mini fridge. We do clean them out daily and I'm not sure if our front desk was notified but we are happy to exchange them if needed. I honestly have not had this complaint before, however we would be happy to solve the problem at any cost.

As for breakfast, we do provide and abide by the standard Springhill Suites program that ALL Springhill Suites in the nation extend. We do offer the largest breakfast in the area and it's not uncommon for everyone to come down right at the end, especially on the weekends when guests choose to sleep in. I am truly sorry for the abundance of people.

We have actually been working on the outdoor area and would like to enhance it in the near future. Thank you for that feedback.

I truly hope that you will consider us in the future, I think you will find that for the price, breakfast and size of the rooms you are getting a great deal in the area. Best wishes and thank you again for your feedback.
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

In town for a family event, we recently spent 4 nights at this SpringHill Suites. We were very happy with our stay and can easily recommend it.
We did have a little issue coordinating with housekeeping to clean the room while we were out (and not while we were there), but after the first day, that was settled and they did an excellent job.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were not gourmet, but certainly better than your average free breakfast in these types of hotels. There was plenty of fresh fruit every day, a variety of bagels, pastries, cereals, etc. eggs and Texas-shaped waffles.
Strong wi-fi reception.
Yes, the birds presented a little parking challenge, but there were plenty of spaces away from the trees, and still shaded by the building. We can hardly blame the hotel for the birds.
Road noise - yes we could hear the cars because we were on that side of the building, but it was not deafening and was not loud enough to keep us awake at night. It's not like the hotel is so very close to the highway anyway. I wouldn't even mention it, but I am commenting only because my opinion differs from some of the others here.
Had a couple meals next door at the Marriott and it was all excellent.
Finding the hotel - easy if you use the GPS address supplied by the hotel's website.
Bottom line: we would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: ask for the side of the building away from the highway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your time taken to let us know how your stay was. We are so glad you chose to stay with the Springhill Suites and enjoyed your stay over all. We are glad that you were able to set up a time for housekeeping to come and clean the room. We are also glad that our staff was friendly and able to assist you. Our breakfast is one of the largest in the area and we try to provide various choices for your pleasure. Thank you again for your time and we hope the next time you visit Austin you come back and visit us!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I had made my reservations 3 months in advance for a school conference in Austin. When we arrived, 5:00 pm, after a 5 hour drive, I was told that they had overbooked and there were no more rooms available. I showed my email confirmation, but they just said "I'm sorry." They tried to locate other hotels in the Austin area but everything was sold out due to this large conference and a sports playoff game. We chose this hotel because of the free shuttle to the convention center. A girl at the front desk said she would come at 7:00 am to pick us up in her personal vehicle and take usnto the CC. She wasn't due to come in until 1:00 pm....Yea, right...i would have probably hadnto call a taxi! After standing there for about 45 minutes, 2 seperate people came in and got their rooms!!! We question it, their response, shrugged shoulders! They finally found a room, next door to Greyhound Bus station. As we drove up, at night, 4 questionable men were hanging out by front door. I refused to get out for safety reasons. I called back to SHS and explained that this area was not safe for 2 women and to find something else. Finally, another coworker found us a room at the Doubletree....which SHS paid for! Don't make reservations because they are worthless!!!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry for the inconvenience we caused with your trip to Austin. In very rare situations does this happen. I'm glad we could find a place for you at Doubletree. We hope you had a great stay and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Cumming, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Not sure how to write this review. The hotel is NOT terrible, but a number of things prevented me from giving a 4.

The hotel is hard to find/get to. Not their fault, but the exits off if I35 and the one way streets make it frustrating. Not many restaurants near by. We ate at the full service Marriott next door. Food was good, but over-priced.

My car was parked out front, by some trees, and in the morning we discovered that it was covered in bird feces. All over, and we weren't the only car. I asked were a car wash was, and told the front desk what happened. Apparently, it happens a lot. We were quickly given a voucher for a free car wash. That was very nice. Just don't park by the trees.

Buffet breakfast was not much - lots of breads and cerial. Sausage full of grease, and scrambled eggs were watery. No fruit.

The room was very clean. However, my son was playing cars on the floor, and found a soiled diaper under the bed. I didn't even know what to say, because honestly, the room was clean, but that was gross.

However, the staff was wonderful, they really were. Very pleasant and very helpful. I didn't tell anyone about the diaper, cause what do you say?

Finally - again not in their control, you can hear the cars on the freeway at night, when the TV is off. But I guess that's the nature of the beast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We are glad you stayed with us during your travel to Austin. I am so sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than perfect. On our website we do offer a GPS address which better guides you to our hotel. Also, I will bring up the diper situation to our housekeeping manager immediatly, and is not something that is common as we strive to be one of the cleanest hotels. Our breakfast is the largest complimentary breakfast in the area which provides many diffrent options. We are so glad that our staff were friendly and helpful during your stay. Thank you again for your time taken to review our hotel. We hope you give us a second chance and visit us the next time you are in Austin!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel, and it was very clean & comfy. I was really looking forward to the whirpool in the room (418), but it would NOT work. Needless to say it was more than "inconvenient"... it kinda put a damper on the evening. We called front desk and they sent up someone who confirmed it was broken, but Front desk insisted to send up a second person. This person came with a screwdriver and mashed the button for about 5 minutes trying to get it working.... finally it started working. We were informed that "this was the only whirlpool they have trouble with. If you want, we can move you to the other room." Well WHY did they put us in this room first??? But we didn't want to move rooms, so we accepted that it was working for now. The next nigh, however, it didn't work AGAIN. We did NOT want to call them again, so we just didn't use the jets. We informed them at checkout that we were upset about the whirlpool not working properly, and they did compensate by giving us extra points on the reward card.
Also, our room was too close to the ice vending room. We could hear it loud and clear anytime someone wanted ice (both day AND night). So be very specific about what you want when booking your room. The Limestone Restaurant in the Marriott across the way = fantastic!

Room Tip: If you want a whirlpool, don't let them put you in 418 until it's truly fixed, but even then...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry to hear that your experience with the whirlpool was less than perfect. We have been working on that particular whirlpool for a few weeks now and when placing you in the room we were confident it was operating correctly. I apologize for the inconvenience again and hope that you will consider our hotel next time you visit Austin.
Thank you again for the review, safe travels.
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Business traveler as you can tell. I would have given my stay a 5 star if it wasn't for the birds. Make sure you watch the area you park in or your car will be covered in bird droppings. Too the point I would give the hotel a 3 1/2 over a four. Along with a few issues with the breakfast, but hotel was a good experience for me to work, talk, meet in - other than those two items, it is good. Honestly, the bird situation might keep me from coming back

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We appriciate the time taken to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay while passing through Austin! We are so sorry that the birds near the hotel caused dissapointment and understand how frustrating they can be. Parking is available across the property with spots that are not near the trees. Also, we do offer car wash vouchers to guests who may have had issues with the birds. We hope the next time to visit Austin you give us another chance!

Been to SpringHill Suites Austin South? Share your experiences!