“Could've been much better” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15% This Summer!
Ranked #99 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Could've been much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The main reason I picked this hotel because I thought I know what to expect from Marriott properties and so far I never get disappointed till I stay here at the SpringHill Suites Austin South.

The room was outdated! The breakfast was very standard but not bad at all...the girl at the front desk when we checked in was nice and friendly... but just can't really stand with the room..it could've been much better... just shown some aging and outdated!! the carpet, the wall, the bathroom...the furniture.. just dull and didn't look so clean to me! sorry..!

Good thing we only stayed for 1 night...it would be nice if they pay attention more details to the updated room design within reasonable company budget... there's no bath gel in the shower (just the bar soap so for us who stayed with friends not really comfortable to share the soap..the bath gel would be more make sense to us)..no trash bean in the bathroom (there's one outside the bathroom under the sink) but would be nice to have one inside the bathroom too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad that you found our front desk associates friendly.
We are due for a renovation, which I think will solve nearly each concern you mentioned in your review. We are anticipating a full renovation in early 2014 so we do hope that you will give us another try at that time.
When Springhill Suites South was built in 2000 the highway was not developed like it is today in 2013, therefore we do our best to accomodate for those that are not used to the city. We have a few options to offer, most popular, moving to a room on the other side of the hotel.
We do have maps and addresses on ou website that show the distance from downtown and the airport. We also offer complimentary shuttles to the downtown area nightly for your pleasure.
We thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel, we will definitely have that 'new' hotel look in early 2014 so we hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Gainesville, Florida (home of the Gators!)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was my third time staying here. Love this properties location, rooms and staff. Especially pleasant as they had a very nice young lady checking me in. Aurelia was very professional, she should be promoted!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are very greatful to have Aurelia on our team and I will personally let her know of your review. We hope that you will be back to visit very soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel!
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel is one of at least 4 Marriott properties grouped together just off of I-35 in Austin. I will try another one the next time I'm in the area. This hotel was kind of dingy - the hallways, my room. A totally forgettable hotel experience, except that my room smelled very strongly of soap (which seems good, but the soap they provided didn't smell like that so wondering where it came from; it was overwhelming).

They have free breakfast in the morning, so that's a plus. It was really crowded - I didn't stay, just grabbed some tea and a banana and left, so I can't comment further on breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I see that overall you had a positive experience, however our goal is to exceed your expectations. I wanted to take a moment to touch on a couple items that you mentioned in your review. Out of the 5 Marriott properties we are the last to receive our renovation, we should have it completed within upcoming 12 months. Although we take cleanliness seriously sometimes the natural wear and tear to the human eye might seem 'dingy', however I can assure you cleanliness is of high importance at Springhill Suites South. The soap smell in your guest room is due to our cleaning efforts to ensure that each room smells fresh and is spotless. You also mentioned breakfast, we are the only hotel in the cluster of Marriotts that you referenced therefore it is very popular. We also offer to go bags for those without time to sit and enjoy our Texas shaped waffles, fresh fruites, scrambled and boiled eggs, etc.
Thank you again for reviewing our hotel, we hope you will give us another try next time you're visiting Austin.
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. The room was adequate, but it was tired old decor...looked beaten down. The "hot breakfast" consists of those "instant eggs" - yuk! It's what you get at 2-star places...I expected more here.

But, the FRONT DESK ROCKS! The young women there worked hard to help us when we had car trouble, needed a restaurant reference, a phone number, and suggestions for transportation.
I got 5-star service from these young women...they made this rating to 3 stars (it would have been 2 stars).

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, away from the highway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am very happy to hear we could assist with your car trouble. We are looking to receive a full renovation within the upcoming 12 months so I hope that you will give us a second chance upon your next visit to Austin. Our breakfast is one of the main reasons our guests choose to stay with us, we are the only hotel in the area that offers an extensive breakfast including: scrambled and boiled eggs, deli meats, cheese tray, pastries, Texas shaped waffles, fresh fruits, cereals, yogurts and much more. Our eggs are not instant and are made each morning fresh. We hope that although you didn't enjoy the scrambled eggs you could find something to enjoy.
Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Granger, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I only spent one night in the Springhill Suites South Austin and it was an off weekend, so other than families traveling together, they were not busy at all. No South-By or some other monster conference so rates were around $120 a night.

The room was functional, with a couch and living area on one side and the bed and whirlpool tub on the other. The tub is not actually in the bathroom, but right at the foot of the bed. Kind of odd but nice for a romantic stay. I think we wound up with this room as we wanted a king bed. The tub was pretty comfy. The bathroom has a separate shower. The TV is awkwardly placed on a dresser between the two parts of the room, so you can turn it to face the couch or the bed.

They do have free wifi and free breakfast. The breakfast area definitely gets crowded so go down early.

Location is south Austin right on the interstate and Ben White. It's a quick drive to the airport but not so quick to downtown if you drive between 8:00 and 10:00am. Austin traffic on I-35 is a nightmare. If you stay here and need to get downtown during rush hour get on Ben White (71) west and go north on South Congress or 1st street.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the location of the Springhill Suites as it is convient to many locations in Austin. The room you stayed in was a King Jaccuzi Suite and we do offer rooms with out the jaccuzi as well. Thank you again for your time. We hope you stay with us again the next time you visit Austin!
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed on a Thursday night. The room smelled like fish that had been left in the refrigerator too long. Did not notice it the next morning, but maybe we just got used to it.

The bedroom section was really too small for the furniture - my husband struggled to get his walker from the entrance to the bathroom.

Breakfast hours are short (close at 9 am) but food, esp. fruit, was very tasty. Front desk staff were helpful, and offered extra "points" due to the smell.

We asked for a quiet room but got put by the vending machine, elevator and ice machine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and that we could find a way to assist for the inconvenience of the room smell. We have a few different room types, therefore maybe next time we can get you into a more open floor plan for your husband. We hope to host you again one day, thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.
Gurnee, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

“We believe our strength is rooted in our core values: putting people first, pursuing excellence, embracing change, acting with integrity and serving our world. These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 hospitality company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. Our business is always evolving…but we’ll always stay true to who we are.” Marriott website.

I just returned home from an unfortunate stay at the Springhill Suites south in Austin, TX. Going during SXSW I expected for the hotel to be busy, which it really wasn’t to my surprise. Despite this the Staff seemed overwhelmed and irritable. I was immediately met with attitude by one of the front desk staff members.

Backing up a bit when the room was booked months ago we were told that the double queen suite would be comfortable for 4 adults and had a privacy wall. What they did not mention was that the privacy wall was not between the beds but instead in-between the couch (uncomfortable) and the two beds. They also explained that the room was spacious (nope).

When we arrived we immediately realized that there would not be enough room for 4 adults. There was little to no space between the bed and TV and there was almost no reason to use the closet since you had to wedge yourself in the corner of the room between the bed and closet to open the door then you were trapped, this made unpacking very difficult. I was also surprised to see NO drawers other than the one on the tv stand that was not worth putting anything in. For 4 nights I had to deal with living out of a suitcase, which for a girl is not so easy. The sink space was almost nonexistent and for 4 people it made it quite crowded.

When we went down to the front desk to explain the situation they staff was not so helpful. They explained that they could get us a second room at less than half of what we paid ($409.98 a night). We learned quickly that this was the rate that they had online and Expedia had an even lower rate. They threw around the word accommodate like they were trying to give us a deal since we were inconvenienced and uncomfortable in our room. When I explained to them that this was not accommodating us that they should be giving us some kind of deal since we spent over 1800 on the room for the 4 nights they explained that the computer tells them the rate they can offer (lie). I asked if they can discount it they again said they could only do what the computer tells them (lie). I explained that I could get a better deal on Expedia and she had the nerve to tell me that Expedia does not guarantee a room (bold faced lie). Finally I told her that I would be emailing Marriott to explain the attitude and lies I had been told and it was like a magic switch. All of a sudden she was able to give us a second room for free for 2 nights, but only 2 because they were all booked up (LIE). We took what we could and had to be inconvenienced for only 2 night of our trip instead of all 4.

Overall the staff was extremely poor. I did write an email and I am waiting to hear back. I will update yelp when I receive a message back with their response. I do not think I will stay in another Springhill suites and Marriott is not high on my list of hotels to visit after this experience. Overpriced rooms and definitely not worth what I paid for.

I was however happy about the free WI-FI.

Room Tip: Dont book here. Go somewhere else if you want comfort and hospitality
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Although your experience was not up to par with our standards we will make sure to use the information provided for areas of growth and appreciate you sharing. We are very sorry that you did not like our room setup, we do our best to provide a clear idea of what to expect by posting pictures of different guest rooms on our website. I see that you were visiting Austin and our hotel over SXSW which is a very high demand time in Austin which would explain the rates.
Again, we sincerely apologize that your experience was anything less than perfect. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback.

Been to SpringHill Suites Austin South? Share your experiences!