“Tired decor, yuk breakfast...but EXCELLENT FRONT DESK” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #87 of 183 hotels in Austin
Plano, Texas
“Tired decor, yuk breakfast...but EXCELLENT FRONT DESK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. The room was adequate, but it was tired old decor...looked beaten down. The "hot breakfast" consists of those "instant eggs" - yuk! It's what you get at 2-star places...I expected more here.

But, the FRONT DESK ROCKS! The young women there worked hard to help us when we had car trouble, needed a restaurant reference, a phone number, and suggestions for transportation.
I got 5-star service from these young women...they made this rating to 3 stars (it would have been 2 stars).

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, away from the highway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am very happy to hear we could assist with your car trouble. We are looking to receive a full renovation within the upcoming 12 months so I hope that you will give us a second chance upon your next visit to Austin. Our breakfast is one of the main reasons our guests choose to stay with us, we are the only hotel in the area that offers an extensive breakfast including: scrambled and boiled eggs, deli meats, cheese tray, pastries, Texas shaped waffles, fresh fruits, cereals, yogurts and much more. Our eggs are not instant and are made each morning fresh. We hope that although you didn't enjoy the scrambled eggs you could find something to enjoy.
Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Marcos TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I only spent one night in the Springhill Suites South Austin and it was an off weekend, so other than families traveling together, they were not busy at all. No South-By or some other monster conference so rates were around $120 a night.

The room was functional, with a couch and living area on one side and the bed and whirlpool tub on the other. The tub is not actually in the bathroom, but right at the foot of the bed. Kind of odd but nice for a romantic stay. I think we wound up with this room as we wanted a king bed. The tub was pretty comfy. The bathroom has a separate shower. The TV is awkwardly placed on a dresser between the two parts of the room, so you can turn it to face the couch or the bed.

They do have free wifi and free breakfast. The breakfast area definitely gets crowded so go down early.

Location is south Austin right on the interstate and Ben White. It's a quick drive to the airport but not so quick to downtown if you drive between 8:00 and 10:00am. Austin traffic on I-35 is a nightmare. If you stay here and need to get downtown during rush hour get on Ben White (71) west and go north on South Congress or 1st street.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the location of the Springhill Suites as it is convient to many locations in Austin. The room you stayed in was a King Jaccuzi Suite and we do offer rooms with out the jaccuzi as well. Thank you again for your time. We hope you stay with us again the next time you visit Austin!
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed on a Thursday night. The room smelled like fish that had been left in the refrigerator too long. Did not notice it the next morning, but maybe we just got used to it.

The bedroom section was really too small for the furniture - my husband struggled to get his walker from the entrance to the bathroom.

Breakfast hours are short (close at 9 am) but food, esp. fruit, was very tasty. Front desk staff were helpful, and offered extra "points" due to the smell.

We asked for a quiet room but got put by the vending machine, elevator and ice machine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and that we could find a way to assist for the inconvenience of the room smell. We have a few different room types, therefore maybe next time we can get you into a more open floor plan for your husband. We hope to host you again one day, thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.
Gurnee, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

“We believe our strength is rooted in our core values: putting people first, pursuing excellence, embracing change, acting with integrity and serving our world. These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 hospitality company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. Our business is always evolving…but we’ll always stay true to who we are.” Marriott website.

I just returned home from an unfortunate stay at the Springhill Suites south in Austin, TX. Going during SXSW I expected for the hotel to be busy, which it really wasn’t to my surprise. Despite this the Staff seemed overwhelmed and irritable. I was immediately met with attitude by one of the front desk staff members.

Backing up a bit when the room was booked months ago we were told that the double queen suite would be comfortable for 4 adults and had a privacy wall. What they did not mention was that the privacy wall was not between the beds but instead in-between the couch (uncomfortable) and the two beds. They also explained that the room was spacious (nope).

When we arrived we immediately realized that there would not be enough room for 4 adults. There was little to no space between the bed and TV and there was almost no reason to use the closet since you had to wedge yourself in the corner of the room between the bed and closet to open the door then you were trapped, this made unpacking very difficult. I was also surprised to see NO drawers other than the one on the tv stand that was not worth putting anything in. For 4 nights I had to deal with living out of a suitcase, which for a girl is not so easy. The sink space was almost nonexistent and for 4 people it made it quite crowded.

When we went down to the front desk to explain the situation they staff was not so helpful. They explained that they could get us a second room at less than half of what we paid ($409.98 a night). We learned quickly that this was the rate that they had online and Expedia had an even lower rate. They threw around the word accommodate like they were trying to give us a deal since we were inconvenienced and uncomfortable in our room. When I explained to them that this was not accommodating us that they should be giving us some kind of deal since we spent over 1800 on the room for the 4 nights they explained that the computer tells them the rate they can offer (lie). I asked if they can discount it they again said they could only do what the computer tells them (lie). I explained that I could get a better deal on Expedia and she had the nerve to tell me that Expedia does not guarantee a room (bold faced lie). Finally I told her that I would be emailing Marriott to explain the attitude and lies I had been told and it was like a magic switch. All of a sudden she was able to give us a second room for free for 2 nights, but only 2 because they were all booked up (LIE). We took what we could and had to be inconvenienced for only 2 night of our trip instead of all 4.

Overall the staff was extremely poor. I did write an email and I am waiting to hear back. I will update yelp when I receive a message back with their response. I do not think I will stay in another Springhill suites and Marriott is not high on my list of hotels to visit after this experience. Overpriced rooms and definitely not worth what I paid for.

I was however happy about the free WI-FI.

Room Tip: Dont book here. Go somewhere else if you want comfort and hospitality
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Although your experience was not up to par with our standards we will make sure to use the information provided for areas of growth and appreciate you sharing. We are very sorry that you did not like our room setup, we do our best to provide a clear idea of what to expect by posting pictures of different guest rooms on our website. I see that you were visiting Austin and our hotel over SXSW which is a very high demand time in Austin which would explain the rates.
Again, we sincerely apologize that your experience was anything less than perfect. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback.
Lake Jackson, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel is average, and it provides easy access to the downtown area. Free breakfast is included but due to large groups and little space I was not able to take advantage of that. The hotel overall is clean, the front desk attendants were attentive, and the experience was good overall.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback. We are glad to hear that you had an overall postive experience. We are so sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy our large breakfast. We strive to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel. We hope to see you again in the future!
Ft. Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had an overnight stay at this hotel on 2/19/2013. I'm admittedly a pretty picky person for hotels, even for just an overnight stay. However, this hotel provided a very pleasant experience from good service, to a nicely appointed room. I did not have an early morning on the 20th and hoped not to be awakened early by those with earlier schedules. My room was completely quiet, and I woke on my own! The room was very comfortable, nicely appointed, and a nice size. The hotel is conviently located, and I would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your compliments for our hotel. We take great pride in our hotel and strive to provide you with the best experience! We hope to see you again the next time you come to Austin.
BKK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding. The room is quite large and comfortable, and the bed was very nice. Staff were helpful as well, and the hot tub and pool is a nice touch. However, you have to choose your room wisely. Ours had a view of the interstate, and it was quite noisy. The sound of the cars would wake us up in the night. In addition, the room key easily gets demagnetized, requiring frequent trips to the front desk. The breakfast is nothing to write home about. our GPS could not find the hotel's address, so we had to ask them for an alternative address, which worked. It's close to the airport, which is good as traffic in Austin can be pretty bad. All in all, this place was fine for what you pay for.

Room Tip: Try to face the parking lot, not the interstate.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are glad to see you liked our location and our friendly staff. We strive to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel! We are so sorry to hear your experience was less than perfect. I want to let you know that when the property was developed in 2000 the highway was not as developed. We do offer options to guests who are sensative to noise such as ear plugs and changing rooms. We hope you will give us a second chance as in the future during your visits to Austin.

Been to SpringHill Suites Austin South? Share your experiences!