“Great Place in Austin!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kokomo, Indiana
“Great Place in Austin!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Spent the night here before a hunting trip in Southeast Texas. Beautiful hotel. Very clean and quiet and super comfy beds. The morning breakfast was great as well with many hot and cold choices. Definite Tex-Mex flair too!. Hats off to the front desk staff for recommending some phenominal Texas BBQ~! Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SarahMAustin, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful compliment. We take pride in our mission to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with the team and we would love the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Austin.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Port Angeles, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We just sent a team of five to Austin and we stayed at the Austin Marriott South. Very efficient, very friendly staff. Little secret...every night they put out a large glass container with ice and water just before the elevators. Big deal? Yeah, it kind of is, it's the attention to details. Every night that water sits waiting for you at the end of the day AND every day the water gets a new swimming companion: lime, orange, lemon, one day it was melon and berry. OMG it was good. Every member of the staff opens their part of the conversation with, "how can I help you?". Get that everywhere? No. Tip of the hat to everyone at the Austin South, but especially Freddie. There isn't anything that Freddie can't do or won't try to do to help you. Billion places to stay in Austin. Stay here and slip into the bar for Happy Hour. Oh yeah, the rooms are pretty nice too!

Room Tip: If you're super sensitive to sound/light, I'd ask for a room on the north side, away from th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SarahMAustin, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled to hear that our staff was extremely friendly and accomodating during your stay. It is great to know the fresh water dispensers are definately appreciated by our guests. The little things are sometimes the most appealing to guests and we love hearing customer feedback. Thank you for being such a loyal guest to our property and we hope to see you again soon.
Marshall, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for a conference for two days. The check-in staff were quick and friendly. The hotel seemed to be fully equipped with amenities and resources for conference needs. My family and I ate at the restaurant on-site, and we found the food to be enjoyable and the staff to be friendly and helpful.

The room was clean and well-kept. We had comfortable beds, and the room was as advertised. We could not hear any noise from the hallway or from the adjoining rooms. However, the traffic noise was considerable. I have stayed at many "off the highway, close to the airport" locations in major cities, and most have more effective sound proofing than this hotel does. While the room was comfortable, I didn't get good nights of sleep with the din of the traffic.

For our family, while the hotel itself was pleasant and seemingly well-managed, we probably wouldn't stay here again because of the noise,

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SarahMAustin, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is great to hear our staff was extremely friendly and accomodating during your stay. We certainly enjoy hearing about your wonderful dining experience in the Limestone Kitchen and Lounge. Our apologies about your rooming experience and the loud noise from the highway. We certainly would love the chance to welcome you back to our hotel and put you in a much quieter room. Please notify us if you choose to stay here again and we will make sure to accomodate your rooming needs.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I just wrapped up a two-night stay at this property for a few meetings nearby. I was generally unimpressed and consider this one of the most mediocre of the hundreds of full-service properties in which I have stayed over the last few years.

It's worth noting that this property is part of a Marriott-palooza of a full-service Marriott, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield and, I think also a Residence Inn. All seem to have charging privileges at the full service.

Check-in was brutally slow. Although there was no one else checking in at the same time, the process took an impossibly long twenty minutes. It was almost out of an SNL skit – with the front desk agent typing literally thousands of keystrokes for reasons that I cannot get my arms around. While I was welcomed as a Platinum member and offered the requisite welcome amenity, I was told that rooms were not available on the concierge level. While not a big deal to me, I was annoyed to see that rooms were still being sold on the floor for both nights of my stay. In other words, he lied.

The internet also requires an extensive code rather than the normal "enter in your name and room number" which gets wiped off your bill for Plats and Golds. While there seemed to be an option to just enter in name and room, it kept telling me that it didn't recognize me as a guest. Not a big deal but a pain for multiple devices.

The room is standard, unmemorable Marriott standard issue. Bed and desk totally functional and fine. Bathroom is small and lightly renovated from the circa 1988 version. Corner, angled small sink. Narrow shower with poor caulking. Toilet that is avoided by the bathroom door through an engineering marvel.

The first night I was awaken several times by what sounded like someone moving furniture above me. At 2am. I don't blame the property for that. However, every movement in the hallway – even the guy slipping the bills under the door – seemed to echo. I'm not a light sleeper but it seemed very loud.

The small on-site restaurant was surprisingly good for basic sandwiches. Bar was decent – no complaints but nothing memorable. Good parking situation – free and close to the door.

Concierge lounge had a better-than-normal breakfast spread with a poorly serviced beverage refrigerator. I visited the lounge on five occasions over three days. Diet Pepsi was in the fridge one time. Water three times. This included visits during "normal operating hours."

I was very disappointed in the general upkeep of the public areas and – most specifically – the gym. I was surprised that the TV on each of the three treadmills were not working. I went down to the front desk (admittedly very early in the morning) and he called for the maintenance guy. I walked up to the gym with him where he scientifically pronounced them broken. Great. Later that morning, I brought it up with a guy who seemed to be the manager on duty. He seemed genuinely interested and appreciative of the feedback and promised to get it take care of. 24 hours later, one of the three were working.

Along the same lines, the gym was simply not serviced on an appropriate schedule. The container holding wipes to sanitize equipment was empty. I grabbed the last workout towel. The trash can was overflowing with cups and trash each of the two mornings I was there. As granular as this sounds, I find it to be a pretty good proxy of hotel upkeep in general.

Anyway, it wasn't a disaster but I see absolutely no reason to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SarahMAustin, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review as this helps us increase our customer satisfaction. We hope that you consider staying with us again and yes we have responded to your areas of concern. All of the TVs on the treadmills are fixed and we do apologize for not being a fully serviced gym. We will make sure all of the gym amenities (full tray of food, trash cans, sanitize wipes, etc). are tended to more frequently. As far as the level of noise, we hope that it wasnt anything too extreme and hopefully during your next stay it will be more pleasant for you. We strive to provide the cleanest and friendliest hotel possible. We welcome the opportunity to show you our genuine desire to improve on your next stay with us.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed for two days. The service was excellent. The room on the 5th floor was fairly quiet although we could hear some traffic from the interstate at night. The room was boring and needs an update. I think the entire hotel is dated and could use a facelift. The price of the room was rather high compared to other Marriott brands and everything seemed to be an extra charge. There is no free breakfast here. The gym room, indoor pool, hot tub and parking garage was a nice feature. The room had a really small coffee maker, refrigerator, safe and flat screen TV that was probably original to the construction of the hotel. The bottle of water in the room was "provided for my convenience, but if consumed it was $3.50" Nice! There was no complimentary coffee in the lobby. I brought in coffee from a nearby restaurant in the morning because I wasn't sure if they were going to charge me if I used the coffee in the room. The one thing that was not good was a q-tip on the floor that was sticking out from under the closet door. It was still there when we returned to the room this afternoon - and the room was cleaned while we were out. Nasty, but not worth complaining to management about. it's still there at checkout time. Again, a good rating for service but flaws that can be typical of any hotel.dropped the score. I wouldn't stay here again because there are other Marriott brands that are a better value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SarahMAustin, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. In an effort to provide 100% guest satisfaction we welcome your feedback. We are delighted to hear that our service was excellent, but apologize for any inconvenience or confusion that our guest room setup may have caused .We do provide complimentary coffee and tea in all the sleeping rooms. We are a full-service property that was completely renovated in 2009 and are equipped with a full restaraunt and bar that includes a daily breakfast buffet at a charge. We strive to provide the cleanest and friendliest hotel possible. We welcome the opportunity to show you our genuine desire to improve on your next stay with us.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

When we are traveling and need to catch a plane early we stay here. Since we live at the north end of Austin this hotel is convienent to the airport and they will give you a ride to the airport. The hotel is very nice and the staff is friendly. They have an excellent restaurant so you don't even have to leave for dinner unless you want to.

On another occassion after my husband's surgery, we stayed there for a couple of days so he could use the elevator instead of climbing stairs at home. Again, they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

Room Tip: the sign is a little hard to see when you are coming north on the frontage road to I35. However, it...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SarahMAustin, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to send us a review and are happy to be your "home away from home!" We would like to thank you for being a loyal guest to our property. It is great to hear our staff has been friendly and accomodating to you and your husband. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next mini retreat in Austin!
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed here one night last week for business. Everyone was very friendly and accomodating. The room was nice and comfortable, nothing special. The front desk clerk originally had me facing the interstate but moved me to a "better view" which was of a construction site.

The concierge lounge was also a nice treat for elite members, and the staff working there were also very friendly.

My only issue (besides the view) was it is not the easiest hotel to find and get to, which you may think is surprising considering it's right off the interstate. It's also an "older" property and some of the decor is a bit outdated, and there are no restaurants within walking distance of this property.

Overall however and nice stay, and I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review! We are happy to hear our staff was friendly and accomodating. We are located right off the highway and apologize if there was difficulty in locating us. We are very happy you found us and would love the chance to welcome you back on your next visit to Austin!

Been to Austin Marriott South? Share your experiences!