I just wrapped up a two-night stay at this property for a few meetings nearby. I was generally unimpressed and consider this one of the most mediocre of the hundreds of full-service properties in which I have stayed over the last few years.
It's worth noting that this property is part of a Marriott-palooza of a full-service Marriott, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield and, I think also a Residence Inn. All seem to have charging privileges at the full service.
Check-in was brutally slow. Although there was no one else checking in at the same time, the process took an impossibly long twenty minutes. It was almost out of an SNL skit – with the front desk agent typing literally thousands of keystrokes for reasons that I cannot get my arms around. While I was welcomed as a Platinum member and offered the requisite welcome amenity, I was told that rooms were not available on the concierge level. While not a big deal to me, I was annoyed to see that rooms were still being sold on the floor for both nights of my stay. In other words, he lied.
The internet also requires an extensive code rather than the normal "enter in your name and room number" which gets wiped off your bill for Plats and Golds. While there seemed to be an option to just enter in name and room, it kept telling me that it didn't recognize me as a guest. Not a big deal but a pain for multiple devices.
The room is standard, unmemorable Marriott standard issue. Bed and desk totally functional and fine. Bathroom is small and lightly renovated from the circa 1988 version. Corner, angled small sink. Narrow shower with poor caulking. Toilet that is avoided by the bathroom door through an engineering marvel.
The first night I was awaken several times by what sounded like someone moving furniture above me. At 2am. I don't blame the property for that. However, every movement in the hallway – even the guy slipping the bills under the door – seemed to echo. I'm not a light sleeper but it seemed very loud.
The small on-site restaurant was surprisingly good for basic sandwiches. Bar was decent – no complaints but nothing memorable. Good parking situation – free and close to the door.
Concierge lounge had a better-than-normal breakfast spread with a poorly serviced beverage refrigerator. I visited the lounge on five occasions over three days. Diet Pepsi was in the fridge one time. Water three times. This included visits during "normal operating hours."
I was very disappointed in the general upkeep of the public areas and – most specifically – the gym. I was surprised that the TV on each of the three treadmills were not working. I went down to the front desk (admittedly very early in the morning) and he called for the maintenance guy. I walked up to the gym with him where he scientifically pronounced them broken. Great. Later that morning, I brought it up with a guy who seemed to be the manager on duty. He seemed genuinely interested and appreciative of the feedback and promised to get it take care of. 24 hours later, one of the three were working.
Along the same lines, the gym was simply not serviced on an appropriate schedule. The container holding wipes to sanitize equipment was empty. I grabbed the last workout towel. The trash can was overflowing with cups and trash each of the two mornings I was there. As granular as this sounds, I find it to be a pretty good proxy of hotel upkeep in general.
Anyway, it wasn't a disaster but I see absolutely no reason to return.
- Also Known As:
- Austin Marriott South Hotel Austin
- Austin Marriott South Hotel
- Marriott Austin
- Austin Marriott
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Austin Marriott South is just a short drive from the State Capitol, Austin’s exciting live music scene on 6th Street, or any downtown attraction. Guest rooms feature a refrigerator, high-speed Internet Access, flat screen TVs, and luxury bedding. The property offers complimentary parking and features an on-site restaurant, the Limestone Lounge & Kitchen, as well as an indoor pool and fitness room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Marriott, Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Austin Marriott South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.