“We stay here even though we live in town” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #51 of 184 hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“We stay here even though we live in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

When we are traveling and need to catch a plane early we stay here. Since we live at the north end of Austin this hotel is convienent to the airport and they will give you a ride to the airport. The hotel is very nice and the staff is friendly. They have an excellent restaurant so you don't even have to leave for dinner unless you want to.

On another occassion after my husband's surgery, we stayed there for a couple of days so he could use the elevator instead of climbing stairs at home. Again, they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

Room Tip: the sign is a little hard to see when you are coming north on the frontage road to I35. However, it...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SarahMAustin, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to send us a review and are happy to be your "home away from home!" We would like to thank you for being a loyal guest to our property. It is great to hear our staff has been friendly and accomodating to you and your husband. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next mini retreat in Austin!

198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed here one night last week for business. Everyone was very friendly and accomodating. The room was nice and comfortable, nothing special. The front desk clerk originally had me facing the interstate but moved me to a "better view" which was of a construction site.

The concierge lounge was also a nice treat for elite members, and the staff working there were also very friendly.

My only issue (besides the view) was it is not the easiest hotel to find and get to, which you may think is surprising considering it's right off the interstate. It's also an "older" property and some of the decor is a bit outdated, and there are no restaurants within walking distance of this property.

Overall however and nice stay, and I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review! We are happy to hear our staff was friendly and accomodating. We are located right off the highway and apologize if there was difficulty in locating us. We are very happy you found us and would love the chance to welcome you back on your next visit to Austin!
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hotel is south of downtown and if you're planning to visit Austin, make sure you understand where you need to be and when, because the traffic is a bear. If you're wanting an attractively-priced Marriott and are going to be downtown or south, then this is an excellent choice.

It's an older property, but it's quite comfortable. The beds were just fine and I appreciated the fact that you could crank the room temperature down to 64 degrees (which my wife would never let me do).

The work area was quite good, with a table on wheels that rolled out, allowing you to position it however you like. It was roomy enough to hold my laptop and my room service tray.

Speaking of room service, I'd say it was better than average, but not stellar. I had a nice chicken in orange-chipotle glaze that was tasty, but found the rice uninteresting.

The concierge lounge was one of the better ones I've seen, with a full breakfast for Elite members and a good selection of teas and soft drinks.

The workout area is smallish, but serviceable, and the hotel has an indoor pool if you're there with kids (who always love indoor pools).

When I find myself downtown or south, I'll stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SarahMAustin, Sarah M at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to send us a review and are thrilled to hear you had a pleasant experience. We are happy you experienced much that our hotel has to offer from services to amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Austin!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

This is my fourth stay here for a yearly November conference. It is an outstanding venue that meets Marriott's usual standards for comfort. The location off of IH 35 is among a cluster of other hotels. The bar and restaurant offer a wide selection which is good, as there is NOTHING around the hotel for eating within walking distance. This is a great place for an in-hotel meeting; meet, sleep, eat and drink here as the Austin traffic is attrocious for venturing out! I'm a big Marriott fan for a good night's sleep. Free parking in the garage or parking lot. Excellent service at the front desk. Breakfast here was surprisingly reasonable in price and very good in quality. As this is our meeting venue of choice, I'll be back.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SarahMAustin, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and great review! We are glad you took advantage of our full-service amenities. We are a great location for meetings, equipped with approximately 10,000 sq. feet of meeting space, a full restaurant and bar and plenty of free parking. I will be sure to share your great experience with our staff. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again in November!
houstonburbs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

It is always a pleasure to stay at this Marriott Hotel when we come for business. There is a very helpful and friendly staff employed there. We always enjoy staying there, and shall stay again when we come again! We highly recommend this location!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would like to thank you for being a loyal guest. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriott properties in the past and this one night stay at Marriott South was just a little bit below average for a full-service Marriott hotel. I expect the rooms to be just a little nicer than a Marriott Courtyard and I expect the jacquzzi to be better at full-service Marriott's. The room had dirty furniture (spots, stains, etc). The jacuzzi was not very good - the jets were placed too low and low volume of output. There was a nasty looking tray of food from room service left out in the hallway overnight and I asked staff three times to have someone go pick it up before they finally did.

The complimentary breakfast was mediocre. On the other hand, the staff was very polite and accomodating - they were originally only going to give me one complimentary pass for breakfast but I was able to get two (for the both of us). There was no free coffe in the lobby like one would find at a Marriott Courtyard but the staff at the bar gave me some free coffee.

Even though staff was nice, the amenities, furniture in the room, pool & jacuzzi area were below par in my opinion, based on my previous stays at other Marriott properties.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the Interstate - the front of the hotel is facing the service road f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SarahMAustin, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay. While we are happy to hear our staff was friendly, we apologize for not exceeding your expecations. I have shared your feedback with our team to make improvements. We hope to have the opportunity to impress you on your next visit.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in August of 2012 and the staff, room, food, and everything else was superb. Our son attends college in Austin so we go every year on the first day to buy him whatever he needs for his dorm room. Our son even loved our room! It is always wonderful to stay at a nice hotel without the noise of the A/C unit going off and on. I loved the fact that we had our own thermostat that we could set ourselves. We will definitely stay at this hotel again before our son graduates from college.

Room Tip: We stayed for two nights and we were able to keep the same room. The room was at the end of the hall...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kathy, thank you so much for such a great review! We are happy to hear thay you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We would love to welcome you back on your next visit to see your son!

Been to Austin Marriott South? Share your experiences!