“An interesting Hilton locaiton for travelers” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Defiance, Missouri
“An interesting Hilton locaiton for travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Multiple visits here, Great location for meetings with flyins, one half mile from airport, quick ride to fabulous downtown Austin. Well appointed rooms, attentive staff, this former 12th Air Force Headquarters command bunker is an interesting property with a hollow core atrium and circular building. reasonable food, decent bar and service, cant go wrong for metting intercontinentally. Fitness center is worn and needs rehabing, treadmills about shot, halting and seizing at times.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This hotel is a round building buit as a circle which may itself date from the era of the Astrodome in Houston. So, we should not have been surprised that our large room was wedge-shaped with somewhat dated decor and furnishings. Although the windows in the room faced inward instead of to the outdoors, we actually did enjoy our view into the cavernous lobby which has been impressively redecorated by combining the look and feel of native Hill Country Limestone with the semi-tropical plants of South Texas. Hidden among the many items in the breakfast buffet in the lobby restaurant were the best breakfast parfaits that we've ever had - delicious combinations of fresh fuits, granola and yogurt. Our weekend rate had looked like a bargain until we learned of the additonal $ 11 per night parking charge upon check-in. The location of this hotel is very convenient if you need to stay on the grounds of the Airport but it's not really close to any of the popular sights and scenes in and around Austin.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

We just stayed at the Hilton Inn Austin Airport and it was just okay. The rooms are small and the cable on the TV is pretty limited. The pool is very nice and the staff were all very friendly. Go somewhere else to eat ... the food is expensive and mediocre at best. I have recently been at some other Hilton properties and I expected a bit more. At a recent stay at a Hilton Garden Inn in Allen, TX there was complimentary starbucks coffee in carafes with all of the extras, like creamer, sugar, etc. So, I had higher hopes for this Hilton Inn. I will add that the parking fees are just ridiculous ... $11 per day when the lot is mostly empty just seems as if they are sticking it to you for staying on their property! I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
St Croix, USVI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

This hotel is located in a rather strange, circular building. Until a few years ago this was military property and in fact the airport was an Air Force base. The room we had was very average but we got it at a really good rate ($50) on Priceline. Two beds, three people. There was an internet plug in the room no charge, but wireless was like $12. Wireless was free in the lobby. Go figure. The worst thing I could say about the hotel was that the carpet in the hallway had ripples. That's always a turnoff for me. Nothing is within walking distance.
After we got there we found out about the mandatory parking fee. $11 overnight, $3 for short term. We were told it's a city parking lot. So overall we had no complaints about the deal we got. If we'd paid the "standard" rate of $180, however, I would call it a real loser.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New Richmond, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed here on a college visit with my daughter. I chose this hotel because it was significantly cheaper than the downtown hotels. The drive time to get into the city is not bad. There are a few stoplights but usually were not a problem. The proximity to the airport would be great if traveling in/out of AUS. There was not much if any noticable jet noise in our room and we were on the airport side. This hotel is a unique round shape which I found to be very appealing with the massive center courtyard, restaurant and coffee shop. The front desk staff were VERY helpful in suggesting places to eat off of the beaten path including a memorable trip for us to Lockhart, TX to Black's BBQ.

The room was trademark Hilton quality and comfort. As a diamond, we received free breakfast in the restaurant which was top of the line offering us the buffet or the ability to order from the menu.

They did suggest that there might be a parking fee. There was a booth for an attendant but it never was staffed. There is ample parking but I imagine airport travelers could take advantage of it. I think it should be monitored but would have been dissapointed if there had been a charge for it given the amount of space they have available.

I was in Austin this week and as I flew in and out of AUS, seeing this property made me wish I was staying here all over again! This is a top notch property!

Room Tip: The round shape makes all rooms great!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Super convenient to the airport but still not too far from Downtown Austin. If you want to be super near everything going on Downtown then this is not the place for you. A quick drive will get you Downtown but this hotel is ON the Airport Property. Quiet & Comfy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
hopefully
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I brought my two daughters for an overnight stay and had a wonderful time. I'd read some reviews that said hotel was old and outdated. We found a beautiful hotel with a great pool. The room was wonderful and the bathroom a great size! Room had a complimentary coffee & tea bar done very nicely. Beds were awesome. I was worried we might have airplane noise but we never heard anything inside hotel or room. Hotel has two types of rooms-some rooms look out into lobby/restaurant area and the other rooms have windows to outside/exterior. We had an interior room and enjoyed it. Be careful thru Priceline we paid too much and when I called Priceline they refunded me some money. I ended up paying about $85. There is a parking fee of $11.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Austin Airport? Share your experiences!