“Ripoff prices, terrible food, bug in bed, door falling apart” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Austin Airport

Save Saved
You added Comfort Suites Austin Airport to your Saves list
Comfort Suites Austin Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7501 E. Ben White Blvd., Austin, TX 78741 (South Austin)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #109 of 186 Hotels in Austin
Largo, Florida
“Ripoff prices, terrible food, bug in bed, door falling apart”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Had a horrible stay here this past weekend. To start with, we were ripped off at a non-refundable rate of $500 a night for our room during the US Grand Prix. While we were there, someone walked into the hotel asking the room rate. They were quoted $250/night and immediately left saying, "No way!" Yet we were paying twice that rate. Their normal rate is $99/night for that room.

When we arrived, the toilet was stuffed up. The bathroom door had amateurishly applied paneling on it which was falling off. There was also a HEPA air cleaner sitting in our room. Why? Was it to mask the odor of a corpse from a previous stay, or mold? In any case, it was very suspicious to say the least.

The free breakfast was horrible. My wife and I tried the eggs and they tasted like egg substitute. We stuck to yogurt from then on.

The windows in our room had this ugly dirty film on the outside like they hadn't been cleaned for a very long time.

The worst part was the bug I killed on the sheets. I think it was too big to be a bed bug (although the billboard that you pass from a bed bug exterminating company down the street from the hotel was a little disconcerting.)

There is a tremendous amount of construction going on around the hotel on the street it's on, and it's quite a pain to get too also.

All in all, a place I will never go back to. Caveat emptor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
csmanager, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear ZZZZDOC1,

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations.It was not our intention to make your stay horrible.
We accomodate many people each night and strive to provide the best service possible.Therefore it is dissapointing to learn that you are unhappy.
The price ,that you paid during Formula 1 was the average price for all hotels offering limited service in the area-it was higher than our normal rates due our convenient location to the racetrack,Downtown Austin and Austin airport.We have different room types and prices vary depending on the room type you have reserved.HEPA air cleaners are an additional feature ,that we have invested in,and a lot of people with asthma and allergies like that.
As far as the bug problem and the toilet being stuffed up-we do not have any records of any problems in your room during your stay.I will address them immediately to my maintenance department that way appropriate actions are taken.To avoid incidents like this I strongly recommend you to address any issues during your stay to the front desk.
Again,Thank you for your time and valuable feedback.
We sincerely appreciate it and hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with excellent service and accomodations on your next visit to Austin,TX.

Kind Regards,

512-386-6000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Nederland, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

As a Choice Privelage member I PRE-PAID for a discounted room 10 days before my check in date. I was traveling here with my husband and 4 month old child. As we checked in, the front desk clerk clairified that my room was pre-paid. An hour later I noticed my account had $160.00 pending in it. This was a terrible start to my mini vacation. We had budgeted a certain amount of money on a pre-paid credit card so we wouldn't overspend and this error put us in a HUGE predicament. The guy, Sean, at the front desk assured us it would be fixed in the morning. I went to the front desk at 7 am, where another young girl was working. She had no idea what I was talking about because Sean didn't bother letting her know his grave mistake. At 8 am I went back down to the front desk, where yet again, another young girl, Amri, was working. She was very kind, but also very new. We called our bank and told them of the error. The bank gave us a list of instructions the hotel needed to follow to reverse the charges and told us it would be 2-3 business days after the faxed letter the hotel would send. Amri assured us she would write the letter and fax it over. We requested a copy of the letter and the faxed confirmation sheet for our records. At the end of the day we went back to the front. The girl at the front desk had to call Amri on her phone and ask where the letter was. I never received my fax confirmation sheet as asked. This trip was spent with worry and anger. We had quite a few things planned that had to be canceled since the hotel was responsible for this money mis-hap. I have every intention of emailing, calling and faxing a letter over to the GM today. This was ridiculous. I have worked in the hotel business and never treated my guests this way. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
csmanager, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Ashley,

First ,I want to thank you for bringing this to my attention,because only through your eyes as a guest we can see what we are doing right and wrong and how we can improve our services we offer our guests.
I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with your recent stay at our hotel.I want you to know,that it was not our intention to ruin your vacation .Credit card overcharges such as this one are rare and we are always concerned when they occur.Sean really did reverse the overcharge the same evening and released the amount of $154.44 immediately.However because it was on a weekend it takes longer for your funds to be available and depending on the bank ,that you are doing business with it could take anywhere from 2 to 5 business days for a credit card and 2 to 15 businesss days for a debit card.
Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and give me a call at your convenience at 512-386-6000 so we can discuss this situation.
Thank you again for your feedback.We hope you will consider this an isolated incident and that you will continue to stay at Choice Hotels for quality accomodations and services in the future.

Sicerely,
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nice, clean, comfortable room. Good hot, free buffet breakfast. Free parking. Wireless internet could have been faster. Close to the airport. Attentive staff. Would definitely stay here again. No complaints at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
csmanager, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Chryssipus,

We very much appreciate and value your comments and will share your comments with our team. I am sure your feedback will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I spent 2 nights here because not only did I get a very reasonable rate, it met all my requirements: there was free internet, free parking, a very nice free breakfast and an airport shuttle that runs every half hour. Our room was clean, with a standard size bathroom and very adequate air conditioning. This was very much appreciated since temperature was hitting triple digits at the time. The staff was very accommodating and friendly, agreed to a late check out since they were not too busy. There is highway construction on Hwy 71, but we were able to avoid most of the delays by exiting the premise via the back and looping on to Riverside. I have no hesitation in returning for another stay when I come back to Austin.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 beds will cost another $10.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
csmanager, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear 8837 Mom,

We are happy to hear ,that Comfort Suites met all your expectations and brand standards during your recent stay.
At this hotel we strive to provide exceptional service to all guests and I thank you for recognizing our staff efforts to make your stay enjoyable one.I am sure your feedback will serve as encouragement to all of our staff members.
Again,thank you for choosing Comfort Suites as your home away from home - our doors wil be always open.

Comfort Suites
7501 East Ben White Blvd,
Austin,TX,78741
512-386-6000.
Hamilton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I spent the night before an early morning flight. Checked in at 11pm, left at 5:30am. The stay was acceptable, lobby was clean. Room was a good size and bed was comfortable. That is where the positivity will end. In my previous review (which, conveniently, is missing from Hotwire) I mentioned that the while I appreciated the hotel going smoke-free, the fourth floor reeked of smoke the moment we stepped off the elevator. I also mentioned that I appreciated the in-room HEPA filter because of the smoke smell. I wrote this review the day after my stay and posted it. Two days later, a charge in the amount of $172.50 was charged to my bank account. Upon calling the hotel, I was informed (by a very nice young man) that WE had been charged a smoking fee! I explained the situation, mentioned my Hotwire review and was told that he would speak to the GM and have someone return my call. The next day, after not hearing back from the hotel, I called again, spoke to a different (but still very kind) young woman. Told the whole story again and was told that either she or the GM would call me back. Two days later, with still not a single returned call, I called again and asked to speak directly to the GM. He/she was unavailable, left my name and number. As of today, FIVE days after my original phone call, I have still not received so much as a single returned call.

I acknowledge that my issue with this hotel is unusual and not the average complaint. I have contacted corporate guest relations for a resolution. Beware, however, as this type of response to an issue is usually indicative of bigger issues. I would like to reassure future guests-- the room, our stay and the hotel itself was a good value. Close to the airport, comfortable room, even a little breakfast bag available at the desk for those of us with departures in the wee-hours. The fourth floor smells of smoke as does room right next to the elevator. If you get assigned to it, ask for a different room and avoid the hassle.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
csmanager, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Wrights2011,

I sincerely appreciate your feedback,as it provides us with the information needed to correct problems and improve on the services we offer our guests.
I am sorry,that you were dissapointed about the smoking fee and I apologize about that inconvenience.In order to avoid similar problems in the future,I encourage you to let the hotel know about issues and problems during your stay,so that way they can take appropriate actions and make things right .

Again,thank you for staying at Comfort Suites and if I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

The Woodlands, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

As its name suggests, this property is less than a mile from a major international airport. Do you hear airplanes taking off and flying overhead? Not at all. The hotel is located at the edge of a major highway in Austin, which is undergoing expansion with large earthmoving equipment working each day. Hear the road and/or construction noise? Not at all. Here's a place to stay that offers a quiet, restful environment for the traveler. Not at all. Considering the various easy solutions for the issue, I will never understand why some hotels are built with really heavy room doors that have no closure mechanism to suppress slamming, while others find a way to insure secure closure with nothing more than a gentle click of the lock. But wait, you say. If you don't open the door too wide or guide it closed with your hand, it won't slam. Please let me know where those considerate travelers stay, would you? Not at this Comfort Suites. Staying up later than hoped, watching from my peephole in my heavy door, my neighbors up and down the hall seem somehow unaware that they are not still home, where a room door when opened tends to stay open unless actively closed. Push those doors open and they just sit quietly on their hinges - push your hotel door open and stand back, that sucker is going to close on your hand, suitcase or any other vulnerable object, or it's going to shut with a noise reminiscent of fireworks. Add to that the fact that Austin is a great city for nightlife, which means hotel guests get back late, and the Grand Slam isn't the breakfast you can get at the Denny's restaurant within walking distance. Looking for a quiet place to sleep? - you might try the airport terminal down the road, there aren't many overnight flights.

Room Tip: No good advice - all the rooms have doors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Meatlover,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 512-386-6000.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Nice large reception area. Huge breakfast room with hot/cold breakfast and good coffee.Warm welcome by helpful, accommodating staff. Clean rooms. Hot water. Not noisy. Clean nice towels. Luggage carts available. We've stayed here several times and have left each time feeling good about our stay. Variety of restaurants within a few miles offer myriad fares -- even on holidays. I did not see a "walkable eatery." Pizza delivery available. Chinese food, too (not recommended by us). Ample parking. Airport shuttle with amiable drivers runs 5:00 am until midnight. We've taxied outside of these hours, and the fare was not outrageous. The terrific night auditor even had coffee waiting for us before the before-dawn airport shuttle! There were no crickets nor bugs of any kind -- I would have seen them!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear EightStars,

Thank you for choosing Comfort Suites Austin Airport for your recent stay in Austin and taking the time to share your experience.

512-386-6000

Been to Comfort Suites Austin Airport? Share your experiences!