“Grand Slam” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Austin Airport

You added Comfort Suites Austin Airport to your Saves list
Comfort Suites Austin Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7501 E. Ben White Blvd., Austin, TX 78741 (South Austin)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #116 of 191 Hotels in Austin
The Woodlands, TX
“Grand Slam”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

As its name suggests, this property is less than a mile from a major international airport. Do you hear airplanes taking off and flying overhead? Not at all. The hotel is located at the edge of a major highway in Austin, which is undergoing expansion with large earthmoving equipment working each day. Hear the road and/or construction noise? Not at all. Here's a place to stay that offers a quiet, restful environment for the traveler. Not at all. Considering the various easy solutions for the issue, I will never understand why some hotels are built with really heavy room doors that have no closure mechanism to suppress slamming, while others find a way to insure secure closure with nothing more than a gentle click of the lock. But wait, you say. If you don't open the door too wide or guide it closed with your hand, it won't slam. Please let me know where those considerate travelers stay, would you? Not at this Comfort Suites. Staying up later than hoped, watching from my peephole in my heavy door, my neighbors up and down the hall seem somehow unaware that they are not still home, where a room door when opened tends to stay open unless actively closed. Push those doors open and they just sit quietly on their hinges - push your hotel door open and stand back, that sucker is going to close on your hand, suitcase or any other vulnerable object, or it's going to shut with a noise reminiscent of fireworks. Add to that the fact that Austin is a great city for nightlife, which means hotel guests get back late, and the Grand Slam isn't the breakfast you can get at the Denny's restaurant within walking distance. Looking for a quiet place to sleep? - you might try the airport terminal down the road, there aren't many overnight flights.

Room Tip: No good advice - all the rooms have doors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
csmanager, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Meatlover,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 512-386-6000.

512-386-6000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Nice large reception area. Huge breakfast room with hot/cold breakfast and good coffee.Warm welcome by helpful, accommodating staff. Clean rooms. Hot water. Not noisy. Clean nice towels. Luggage carts available. We've stayed here several times and have left each time feeling good about our stay. Variety of restaurants within a few miles offer myriad fares -- even on holidays. I did not see a "walkable eatery." Pizza delivery available. Chinese food, too (not recommended by us). Ample parking. Airport shuttle with amiable drivers runs 5:00 am until midnight. We've taxied outside of these hours, and the fare was not outrageous. The terrific night auditor even had coffee waiting for us before the before-dawn airport shuttle! There were no crickets nor bugs of any kind -- I would have seen them!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear EightStars,

Thank you for choosing Comfort Suites Austin Airport for your recent stay in Austin and taking the time to share your experience.
We very much appreciate and value your comments and will share your comments with our team. I am sure your feedback will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

If the whole hotel was at the level of the reception staff, this would be the first Comfort Inn to earn four stars in my book. I was comped here as the result of a cancelled flight, and the front desk staff couldnt have been more gracious. A couple of things that didn't quite hit the bar included the elevator which appeared more akin to a freight elevator and the fact that the free breakfast (but how much can you complain about something that is free...) featured pretty grim fare (take a pass on the sausage and the eggs). After a very hot and frustrating afternoon at the airport, I was really ready for a good, cold long neck beer but the bar (or should I say "mini-bar" since it appears to have been added into a closet space) wasn't open "until 6pm". When I left the hotel at 6:30, the bar still wasn't open. Good thing I rented a car for the night. Otherwise, I only found one cricket carcass and the room was a good size and clean, free wireless and comfortable bed. It did the job, but I would recommend having transportation to access other eating and drinking options.

• Stayed July 2011
, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Petrus1966,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs and sharing your experience on tripadvisor.com.
We appreciate your feedback,as it provides us with information needed to correct problems and improve on the services we offer our guests.
The bar was opened 1 hour later that evening and it stayed open until 11 pm as listed and I am sorry,that you could not enjoy our cute little Texas lounge.
It is great to hear ,that the front desk service and the room condition met your expectations.We accomodate many people each evening,and we strive to make their stay enjoyable one.
Thanks again for your comments.We hope ,that you will continue to stay at Choice Hotels in future.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel was par for the course as Comfort Suites go. What stands out the most, however, is the sheer number of crickets that had invaded Austin at the time of our trip. As a result, they were all over the parking lots and managed to find their way into our room (and probably other rooms too). Due to them occasionally wandering into guest rooms, they could definitely take anyone by surprise at any time. Four emerged from an invisible crack in the exterior wall that let them come in through a badly carpeted edge of where the walls meet. As we checked out, I had to tell the receptionist to notify housekeeping to be on the lookout for those cricket carcasses I had smacked with my shoe (and a cockroach corpse I found behind the nightstand whilst on cricket patrol). I know they can't control the crickets, but they could at least control their entry. This would be a better hotel if they'd just caulk, seal, and mortar every crevice, corner, crack, and edge, inside & out. As for the things not having to do with crickets, the wifi was free but somewhat slow, and the breakfast was also hot. I am, however, tired of seeing the Texasly shaped waffle irons in every single hotel we stay in. Also of note, quite counterintuitively, the shower turns on and off with the protruding knob, and the temperature is controlled with the rotating handle, rather than vice versa. My girlfriend burned her chest while trying to turn off the shower our first night there, quite correctly trying to operate it like every other faucet with separated power & temperature features. Other than the cricket noise and one occasionally falling on my arm while in bed, it's an all right hotel, I guess, but they could be better without much effort.

Room Tip: Don't go in June when the cricket population explodes. They're noisy and invasive.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Mr. EMcCutchan,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review about your recent stay at the Comfort Suites.I really appreciate you giving us your feedback ,which helps me to target the problem areas.I am sorry,that you are tired of the Texas shaped waffles,a lot of people,especially children,that visit Texas,love them because of their shape.
Unfortunately,right now it's a cricket season in Austin,crickets are all over the city and we all have to deal with them.Please accept my sincere apology about the inconvenience.
Thanks again for your feedback and I want you to know ,that you are always welcome back here and we hope to see you again!

General Manager,Comfort Suites
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here overnight on our way flying out of AUS. At first glance things are OK, but it only takes a little look to see how dirty everthing is. Dirty, dirty, dirty. Room was dirty, the shower knob was falling off and there was no A/C in the hallways and public areas. The holiday inn next door looked much nicer and has a pool. Do yourself a favor and go there instead.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Benny1022,

Here,at the Comfort Suites we value our guest's opinion and would like to thank you for bringing your stay to my attention.
I am sorry ,that the shower knob was falling off and your room was dirty-this is not typical level of service that is delivered at this location.Thank you for addressing the AC not working in the hallway-we already made some adjustments to ensure this sort of situation does not occur in future.
Should you need anything at all please consider me at your service.We would love the opportunity to regain your trust in our property the next time you are in Austin area and I ask that you visit us again when in the area.Please call me directly to ensure you have a great stay.

South Bend, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've stayed in Comfort Suites before and found this one not up to par. First, there are limited restaurant options in the area (Denny's, Starbuck's, Subway). If you don't have a car, you are out of luck since the shuttle will not take you to area restaurants. I was really surprised at this (I was told it was an insurance issue - they only take clients to and from the airport). Most other hotels of this type that I stay in do take clients to restaurants within a 3 - 5 mile radius. (Yes, I could order in, but after a long day at the office I want to sit in pleasant surroundings with a good meal and a glass of wine.)

The sign outside that says they have a lounge appears to be true, but for the three nights I was there it was open only one night....no food there.

I also ended up with either bug bites or some sort of rash. After three miserable nights, I moved to another hotel....more guest oriented AND less expensive!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear HoosierontheMove,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay at the Comfort Suites,because only through our guest's eyes we can see what we are doing right or wrong and how we can improve.

As all hotels in this area we do have shuttle service to and from the airport and our priority is picking up guests from the airport and when the shuttle is available we do give our guests a ride within 2-3 miles of raduis to grocery stores or restaurants.
The lounge is open Weekdays and Saturdays from 6pm to 11pm and I am sorry ,that you stayed on a Sunday when it is closed.
As far as the bug bites and the rash ,that you got during your stay I would really like to discuss this concern with you.You can contact me at your convenience directly at 512-386-6000.
Svetlana Dimitrova,GM
Comfort Suites
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We got bumped off our flight from AUS and had to stay near the airport. The shuttle promptly picked us up from the airport. Sean gave us a distressed passenger rate, but my AAA rate was lower. Other airport hotels wanted 20-30% more.We had two beds, microfridge and microwave. We enjoyed the bar in the lobby, and watched the Spurs in the western conference finals. We needed to make a run to a store for basic supplies, since our luggage went ahead of us. Sean had the shuttle driver take us to a store nearby. We felt that he went out of his way to accomodate us. I would stay in this hotel again, if necessary.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Comfort Suites Austin Airport, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear GeorgiaPilar,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at the Comfort Suites.Our hotel staff is committed to total guest saisfaction and strives to provide the best customer service possible at all times.But only through your eyes we can accurately assess the quality of the accomodations and services we provide.
We appreciate the kind words and look forward to your next visit.
Svetlana Dimitrova

Been to Comfort Suites Austin Airport? Share your experiences!