“Best burgers in Austin, Texas.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hopdoddy

Hopdoddy
1400 South Congress Avenue, Ste A190, Austin, TX 78704 (Formerly HopDoddy)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 2,938 Restaurants in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Best burgers in Austin, Texas.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This is the best place to come to when you have a craving for the best burgers in town! The way the space is distributed is great! From the outside it looks like a small space but it is not! The service is amazing, the ambiance is an urban super cool place with a very chill vibe. And don't get me started with the burgers! The menu has a lot of different types pf burges with angus beef, delicious! Personally everything is fantastic! I love the Llano Poblano, the bread the meat and the toppings are delightful! I will definetly come back for another one.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kyle, Texas
“Austin's best burger has a big price tag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Atmosphere:

The place is a little too trendy for me. It's very crowded, and the floor plan is ridiculous. The way they have you get in line to order, but still reserve a table, is also very weird. If you show up at peak times the line will be out the front door. Parking is usually tough in SoCo, but just use the parking lot in back and be sure to validate your ticket.

Food:

I was very apprehensive about going to yet another burger place, especially one that looked like what I would call a hippie/ foo-foo burger place. There are a dozen burgers on the menu. In addition to Angus beef, they have Japanese beef, buffalo, tuna and some bean/corn aberration. They claim everything is local, organic, free range, etc. Again, I was very skeptical. Then I had the best burger I ever had in my life. I ordered the Buffalo Bill with no bacon. The meat was amazing, the cheese (bleu-jack) was the greatest thing I ever ate, and the homemade buns were great. Fries were good, but I feel P. Terry's are just as good for half the price. Shakes looked good, but I couldn't get myself to spend any more money.

Price:

This all comes at a very steep price (for a burger anyway). The base Angus is about $6, and they go up to the $12 range. Yeah, a $12 burger. Buffalo is $10. This does not include fries or drink. The average bill was $16. Too bad, because otherwise I would eat there every day.

Service:

The servers themselves are great, but their system of getting a number in line, then searching for your table later is rather awkward. I've found many people are confused about what to do about ordering more food, or refilling drinks. They also are unable to break up the bill properly. They made our group of 7 each order, then come back and pay one at a time. This essentially doubled the amount of time it took to order, and they should really fix this system.

Summary:

I will admit this was the best burger I’ve ever had. But at this price range, I will usually go find a steak somewhere. The clumsy ordering/seating system will be very confusing to first-timers. In short, I think everyone should try it once, but it will be a little tough on the pocketbook to be a regular.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Buffalo, NY
“Hopping good time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was looking for somewhere to eat near the Continental Club Gallery where I was going to see a show. I read good reviews of HopDoddy and heard that they had a veggie burger so I headed over.
The restaurant is divided into the bar on the left and the "line" to order. Once you order you grab one of the tables on the right. Since I was on my own, I chose to sit at the bar to eat. The bar is full service, which was nice. I usually have wine, but the beer had a good reputation so I ordered the 512 IPA, which was delicious. I ordered the veggie burger (La Bandita) and it came pretty quickly. Immediately the nice folks next to me were chatting me up and generally being very welcoming -- obviously proud of their town. The burger came on a fluffy fresh multigrain bun. The "burger" fell apart fairly easily, but it was delicious, served with avocado and chipotle mayo. I ate every bit!
After the folks on my right left, another nice gentleman on my left started up a conversation. He was also from Austin and had a lot of pride in his city.
Overall, friendly, clean, well-designed interior with fresh food and good beer! I'd go again if I return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“Great quality food, very nice servers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

If the long line on SoCo location turns you off, hit the new location on Anderson lane (assuming you have a car, that is)

Beware the Margarita with the small beer in it (Michelada I think it's called) - 2 of those & my 300-pound husband made me drive home!

one other con - it's LOUD!

Visited March 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Great food and fun atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My son and I ate here two weeks ago. The food was delicious. We sat for four hours visiting and eating. Great service! Hamburgers, fries and salads are great and very satisfying.