“Burgers to die for” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hopdoddy

Hopdoddy
1400 South Congress Avenue, Ste A190, Austin, TX 78704 (Formerly HopDoddy)
Website
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Burgers to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Visited with a colleague in June 2012 - Thursday night ~7pm, already bustling. Seated by friendly waitress almost immediately after we wandered up to the counter to order food. Outdoor seating available, but inside is recommended for those who like to enjoy burgers in a relatively cool environment.

Had the Kobe beef burger - hands down of of the best burgers I've had - it almost melts in your mouth, cutting a fine line between that, good texture and plenty of flavour. Around $10 for the burger itself. Fries were pretty good, thin and dressed with just enough seaweed (I think) to make it stand out from the more traditional fare. Iced margherita was nice too on a hot summer night.

Definitely worth a visit - particularly at this price point!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

toronto
“By far my top 3 spots in Austin on this visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

OMG! The burgers were absolutely delicious! I loved that they have an Ahi Tuna burger! The atmosphere is perfect. We stood in line for about 10 minutues and was then given the option of ordering drinks at the bar before we stood in line to order the food (great concept! Everything is better with a drink in hand!). After we ordered our food we were assigned a table and our food was brought to us. Each of us had different burgers and we all loved them.

We were a group of 4 adults and a baby. They were extremely baby friendly even at 10 p.m! We had a high chair and the bathroom has a clean metal change table. Also.. they have milkshakes. MMM! Pricing was also quite reasonable.. burgers are $8 on average and the tuna burger was $12.

This is one spot I'm dreaming about going back to!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“FUN in So.Congress”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Loved this place!! Hamburgers are outstanding and drinks are delish! Definitely a must if your are visiting Austin!

Visited June 2012
Olympia, Washington
“Great Concept; Excellent Burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Standing in line waiting to order a burger is improved significantly with a craft pilsner (or beverage of choice) in hand, which is how things are done at Hopdoddy. There are elbow height tables to put you beer on, and time to thoroughly read the limited but interesting menu of burgers and salads.

This is a burger place. If you want something other than a burger and/or salad, go elsewhere.

As you reach the front of the line a table is assigned by number. You then order and find your table. Your order comes to you when it is ready. Several reviews mentioned indifferent service. From the time I sat down until I left, a relaxed stream of attractive young people with warm smiles filed by my table to be sure I had everything I needed. One took my stub to validate my parking; another hustled the extra onions I’d ordered but did not come with my burger, another smile was right there when I was ready for a second beer. Aside from not getting the onions right the first time, the service could not have been better.

I persist in the notion a burger place worth it’s salt ought to offer relish at least as a option, but even without it, once the extra onions showed up, this was an excellent burger. I ordered medium, and it was perhaps on the rare side of that, the standard for ground beef being different, in my opinion, than for solid meats, but it was still terrific. Like nearly any good burger it is impossible put it down once you’re half way through without reassembly being required, but with a roll of paper towels at each table, this presents no problem. The skin-on fries were as good as fries get.

A $5 draft in a burger place seems a bit high, particularly since I doubt the chilled, stemmed, margarita style beer glass held a full pint… then again it went down very smoothly so I can’t be sure. Food prices seemed good value.

The style; the loud, lively, happy atmosphere; the food; all of it made this as good a burger place as I can recall. As a burger lover, Hopdoddy will an early stop, when I make it back to Austin.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“Best Burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I don't eat meat often, but when I do I go to HopDoddy's! Burgers are quality meat and fresh baked buns. It gets crowded at meal times so go early. Definitely an Austin "must".

Visited May 2012