“One of those fun little undiscovered gems...try it, you'll like it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Deli & Pizzeria

Little Deli & Pizzeria
7101-A Woodrow Ave, Suite K, Austin, TX 78757-1859
+1 512-467-7402
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #364 of 3,160 Restaurants in Austin
Description: Little Deli & Pizzeria is a locally owned and operated, northeastern style deli and pizzeria. We offer the best of both worlds - great deli sandwiches and authentic New Jersey pizza.
Austin, Texas
“One of those fun little undiscovered gems...try it, you'll like it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

After nearly a year in Austin, we've only recently discovered Little Deli and now we're hooked! The sandwiches were excellent, like a proper deli sandwich should be, piled high with shaved meat or, in the case of the veggie sandwich, all kinds of veggies. My wife and daughter loved the veggie sandwich. The colossal chocolate cake was very good (not great, but very good). The service was exceptional: friendly, knowledgeable, and responsive. This is a fun little place to grab a sandwich; we haven't tried the pizza yet, but it looked good, too (we're huge Mellow Mushroom fans). The price point isn't cheap---sodas and three sandwiches plus chips is approx. $34.00---but the food was worth it. We will go again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Leander, Texas
“Good Solid Pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Having just returned from a New York City business trip where I had some REAL lower Manhattan pizza, my recent standards are high. That said, I like their pizza. I'm being really nit picky, so don't construe this as really negative.

Pizza was fresh, home made, with good, fresh sauce. One of my favorite parts of GOOD pizza is that mild, home made sauce with a mellow slightly sweet flavor (can't stand that "chain store acidic sauce personally). Their sauce was really good. I got italian sausage and sliced meatball. They normally serve slices, but after 7 pm they don't make any more pizzas by the slice (reasonable - so they won't have waste). So I ended up buying a medium pizza for about $14.

Crust was good, fresh, thin. My one tiny criticism is the "New York" test to me is that it is crunchy enough on the outside to not be "floppy" under its own weight. Granted, I got toppings, but it didn't quite pass. I remember on my recent trip to Manhattan the pizza (Caruso's near the WTC area) was so hot that when I sprinkled grated parmesan on it, the cheese instantly melted. I think some of the New York establishments use a very hot oven (though I'm not a pizza maker, so just a guess).

This place is hidden away in a N. Austin neighborhood. So I had to do some navigating to find it. Staff was very pleasant, took my order and finished making it in normal amount of time. Inside dining area is very small (only about 3 tables or so). There are shaded picnic tables outside. I like my A/C. Luckily I was able to sit inside. You place your order at the counter, and they bring it to you.

I discovered it on Yelp, and it lived up to its good reputation. Good food and service. Not "quite" like in NYC, but I enjoyed it, and would recommend.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“Neighborhood diner gives relaxing vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

My roommate had been recommending this place for a while, when my boyfriend and I decided to give it a try. We needed a place to grab a bite to eat, have some coffee and get some work done—I know—so romantic.
When we pulled up, we saw a cute area reminiscent of small town, USA. Two older buildings face on another with an area in between. There's an old pharmacy and neighborhood grocery across from Little Deli.
In front of Little Deli, there were picnic tables.
We went in and saw a variety of sandwich options as well as pizza. I grabbed a slice of pizza, which looked a bit ordinary and cold. We headed to the cash register. A few minutes later, the very polite staff brought us our food and it was way better than it had looked at the counter. The pizza, warmed, of course, was very tasty and the sandwich my boyfriend looked delicious. They also provided us with free coffee, apparently something they always do, which is amazing considering how much most places charge for coffee these days.
It was a beautiful Austin day, so we sat outside on the picnic tables, watching all the neighborhood families stop in and enjoying our free wi-fi while working on marketing for our upcoming book, "Jump Little Cake, Jump."
We stayed quite a while enjoying the neighborhood feel and wondering if the home across the street was up for sale.
We definitely look forward to going back.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Hidden Gem in Austin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I have dined here on several occasions, a colleague at work took me here about a year ago and I have been back several times since with my wife and family.

The food at Little Deli is delicious. I have had their pizza a few times, and I have always enjoyed it. Their deli sandwiches are delicious. They have a big selection of sandwiches to choose from, and their portions are generous and reasonably priced. The desserts are also quite good, I believe they get them from a local bakery or dessert shop.

Little Deli is not a fancy place, but that is part of the charm. Weather permitting, they have a very nice outdoor dining area (including a fun gazebo), it can get a little crowded at the lunch rush but the food is worth the wait.

I highly recommend Little Deli to anyone in Austin looking for a great lunch in a unique place.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
OKC
“Unexpectedly Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Stopped off the interstate with the family, on a long road trip, to grab a quick meal. We got lucky with this place.

Outdoor picnic tables are different, kind of gives a drive-in feel. Staff was plenty friendly, seemed to be a family-owned place. The owner (I forget his name), even stopped by our table and was very nice and seemed genuinely interested in how we liked our meal.

While it may seem just a bit pricey for pizza, we found it was more than worth an
extra buck or two for a pizza. Personally I usually go for traditional or pan crust, but the crust here isn't thick, but not too thin. I am still trying to remember when I've had better pizza......

Two of our group ordered sandwiches, and were very happy. One said it was the best
cheesesteak sandwich he has ever had.

Hell, yes I recommend this place. I only wish it was local.

• Visited October 2011