“Never again.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake

You added Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   507 South First Street, Austin, TX 78704 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #137 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Washington DC
“Never again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

This hotel, while well located, is one of the worst I've ever encountered. My room was dirty and lacked even the simplest amenities. There was no alarm clock in the room or shampoo in the bathroom. For a hotel that's supposed to cater to business travelers, it ignores their most basic needs.

There were other guests partying loudly and running in the hallways until 4am. Several people in my group attempted to call and complain, but no one answered the phone at the front desk.

Even worse, the morning we were checking out, one person in my group failed to appear in the lobby on time. His cell phone was off. We didn't know his room number, so our only option was to ask the front desk to ring his room, but there was NO ONE on duty in the reception area. This is unacceptable and unprofessional.

We've stayed in some of the best and worst places over the years, but this is the first time I've ever requested that our office NEVER book us in the Homestead Suites/Austin again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

I was looking for a hotel to stay overnight on a train trip from Dallas to Austin and back. The Homestead is located about a mile from the AmTrak station (I walked to the hotel, but it's not an easy walk with any luggage at all) The staff at the check in desk was friendly, courteous, and professional - both at my arrival and previously when I had called in my reservation. The location is just south of the town lake/river - my favorite part of Austin because of the atmosphere, restaurants, and clubs. Threadgills is located about a block from the hotel. Several other excellent restaurants (Guerero's, Polvo's, etc) are only a mile or so away (short taxi ride or even walking distance) The staff at the desk helped me locate other good eating places as well. The Stevie Ray Vaughan memorial statue and the bat cave are interesting sights very near the hotel as well. The rooms (suite-style) are very spacious and clean, have complete kitchens, cable TV with movie channels, sitting area with couch. very near downtown Austin. I recommend it as a very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

We stayed at the Homestead Suites for the Austin City Limits Music Festival. This hotel is definitely the best location for the most econimical price. I have paid onwards from $300 for a hotel during the festival which wasn't as convenient for walking/biking to the festival. If you normally look to stay in the lap of luxury pass this one by but if you are looking for cleanliness and convenience TRY IT!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Magnolia, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

We have stayed at this location of Homestead Suites before and like the fact that we can walk to most events downtown. However, this time, the room just had a smell to it that I couldn't describe. If the hotel hadn't been totally booked, I would have asked for another room. My husband found the culprit this morning when he went to toss out the package for the coffee. The trash under the sink had not been emptied in probably a week. Obviously someone had an extended stay there and there were cereal boxes, empty milk jug, and a full garbage can. I then looked under the cabinet in the bathroom and there was plastic bags and razors tossed in there. I usually like to take tub baths, but finding previous customer's hair in the tub just about grossed me out. I think I might find somewhere else to stay next time we are in Austin. And, it's not like we checked in early - we arrived late and checked in after 6:00pm.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

We stayed here for the Austin City Limits Festival. For this event the hotel was in the perfect location. It is a decent walk over the Congress St. Bridge if you are looking to spend most of your time downtown. The rooms were clean, not very big though. The kitchenete was great and the staff was very good. Overall we had a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

OK, so we were looking for a budget hotel for our quick, last minute overnight stay in Austin and were "assigned" to the Homestead Studio Suites through Hotwire - so we couldn't change the hotel. Now, we were not expecting the Ritz. However, we were expecting something decent.

In a nutshell: this hotel is poorly managed, and it is FILTHY, FILTHY, FILTHY - the walls are tainted, the carpets look like they haven't been washed in years, the pillows smelled terrible, and the bedsheets felt as if they had not been changed. Adding to this, our first room plumbing broke so we could not take a shower, and our second room had missing closet doors which only gave added to the super-low-budget feel of this dump.

I have a high threshold for not so perfect places, but Homestead Studio Suites takes the cake! It is definitely the worst hotel I ever stayed in anywhere!

Please do not spend your well earned money on this horrible hotel. I feel sad for those families having to stay there for extended periods of time, as the place is intended for.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I'm sure it helped that the rooms had been recently re-done, but they were pristine, and comfy. Best of all, we were within walking distance to work, as well as great, hip restaurants and music clubs. And the price could not be beaten. I've already got reservations for our return visit.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake? Share your experiences!